HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Since you're telling all users to ditch HFSPLUG1.CMD, does that mean everything is incorporated in the experimental releases now (60923exp and later)?
I think an external file which only does GDI+ slipstreaming is "bloatier" than adding 4 lines of code into the main script.
Also, at one point you said only so-and-so was supported. Has this been updated?
I assume you're talking about WMP. Everything is slipstreamed except playlists that don't exist in the Windows source.
Finally, what does "wip" stand for in the filename? :P
Ask Camarade. Don't know how he figured it out, but I guess they are more prudish where he lives so he didn't have to think too hard :D
I'll try to test this new release asap. ;)
I've still to take a look at the experimental releases, but they look promising :w00t:!
You can start testing with 23exp2. I'd give it a "code green" if you don't include WMP or wmfdist, haha :w00t:

@the_guy

Let's see if it works first :P

I'll probably make a new build tomorrow. :)

@Camarade_Tux, slow down there, buddy!! :P

And, I'd like to slow down, but I can't.

The studies I decided to do are known to be the most difficult in France, but at the same time, they are the funniest too imho. :P

@Tomcat, I figured it because someone told me WIP and I asked. :P

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Ha... Stupid me. I installed on the D: drive of a multi-boot system but I checked the result on the C: drive. Oy! :P

Everything's looking fine using XP SP2, WMP10 and wmfdist95. Microsoft Update is happy and HfNetChk doesn't report any "less than what is expected" problem. The only thing I noticed is that there are no playlists at all.

I used 60923exp3, btw.

Just a quick FYI...

Win2K + WMP9 caused an error on my test right after entering the product key and pressing Enter. Something like "There was an error in setup.exe and setup needs to close. An error log is being created." Then it rebooted automatically.

Win2K without WMP9 is still in progress but it's already way into "T-13", installing the SVCPACK proggies, without erroring out.

I used two different DVD+RW discs for this so it still may have been the disc.

Will be back on this...

I don't know yet. I had a failed install (error in setup.exe) but it might've been the DVD+RW. Better safe than sorry for a "code green" release, hehe.

I'll continue testing later and if it was a false alarm WMP9 slipstreaming will be reintroduced :)

Here's a new experimental release featuring complete WMP10 slipstreaming. This release is safe to use on Windows XP SP2. No more features will be added for Windows XP for the release of HFSLIP 1.0.

WMP9 and IE7 are a PITRE (don't ask :P). This might take another while to complete and may not make it into the next final. The WMP9 code is still in (which is why the script is much bigger) but it's "locked". MP6 codecs slipstreaming is possible now too but it's still untested.

hi TP & TC & everybody! my apologies if i haven't been around lately to do some tests ... believe me i miss posting too :( ... however i underwent a lot of things lately (i.e., i was down for a week since i was sick but had relapse & was down for another week ... my pc broke down recently where i might have to change power supply, heatsink fan & video card ... & lastly Manila was hit by a strong typhoon that rendered the country without electricity until today ... he! he! tough luck!) ... as soon as i can ... i would be back to the vice of doing tests for XP SP2 ... cheers to all! :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Nice to see you back, Kiki. Hopefully the recovery is going smooth :)

You can safely unleash your powers on the current test release (hfslip-1.0b-61001a) but you'll probably use the HFSLIP 1.0 final by the time you get things up and running again. These releases should be right up your alley, hehe :w00t:

Just a little FYI concerning WMP9 slipstreaming...

I'm still not sure if it'll make it into the next final. The thing that screwed up the Windows install was the file "PidGen.dll". This file is supposed to end up in the Windows Media Player folder but the Windows installation source already contains a file with that name. I had to give it another name and give it the correct name again during the copy process of Windows installation.

These problems remain (in an internal build):

a) The WMP9 shortcut is in the Start Menu but it doesn't work. The "Target" path is specified and is correct but the "Start in" path is blank and that's the problem.

b) The shortcut that's created in the Quick Launch bar after you go through the WMP post-install wizard (double click wmplayer.exe in the WMP application folder) also doesn't have the "Start in" path specified, making this shortcut useless too.

c) During Windows installation, you get an "Advanced INF" popup asking for the location of "Program Files\Windows Media Player" where you need to click OK (the correct path is already specified in the box). This comes from roxio.inf which uses a combination of "custom destination" and a regular string to get the WMP directory path (this is for a registry entry). I may need to have HFSLIP hardcode the reg entry beforehand and strip the relevant section out of roxio.inf.

d) WMP9 doesn't see the playlists even though they are in the correct location and the appropriate reg key is set. I may be looking for them in WMP in the wrong location, though: I click the arrow next to the "Now Playing" button and then mouse over "Auto Playlists"; is this where they are supposed to be shown in WMP9?

Edited by Tomcat76

Tomcat, I don't get why another copy of PIDGEN.DLL is required for WMP installation. The file is used by Windows Setup to verify the product key entered during setup and generate a Product ID.

I guess WMP probably uses this different version for generating an internal PID (which you see on the About screen). Hmmm...