4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Being inhospitable toward new members

Whom exactly do you call "inhospitable"?

obscure forum

I don't think @Dave-H and @Tripredacus would agree with such labelling of MSFN, I'm asking you [very politely] for the 3579692369239298 time, please don't try to ignite hostilities over and over again.

Everyone here is having a nice chat.

Being inhospitable toward new members who ask questions is not the way to keep an obscure forum online. :no:

Quoting your off-topic attack in full, just in case.

Duh, please stop making it look like a big problem, I am tired of arguments being ignited everywhere. Can't peace be an option for once?

Edited by mina7601

7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Duh, please stop, I am tired of arguments flaming everywhere. Can't peace be an option for once?

If these words are addressed to @Vistapocalypse, I can only agree. :thumbup But I wonder what business it is of yours at all? :dubbio: You are not involved in this conversation, not even mentioned. TBH, you don't have to put your two cents in everywhere in the forum. nimportequoi.gif And I fear, it's not that important what you are tired of or what not. Sorry, my dear! smilie_denk_24.gif

OK everyone, take a deep breath and calm down.
All new members of MSFN, or any other forum for that matter, should be treated with respect, and not have their initial contributions considered to be ignorant or naive.
People come to forums like this to learn. As the strap line says here, "Where People Go To Know".
As to whether this forum is 'obscure', I would venture that all technical forums are 'obscure' by their very nature, compared with the mass market options of social media.
That does not make them any less valuable for those who choose to use them.
:)

I think they should summarize the differences between these browsers on the download page (whoever makes the download page). The choice of 6 browsers is confusing if you just want an old style browser for XP. I initially went with Serpent 55 because I thought it to be the newest, until I was told that it hasn't received as many updates since creation.

38 minutes ago, tirigliu said:

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance, not sure which one of the NM28 releases is the best one to run on my pc (i3 4160) running windows XP. Thank you for your time!

NM28XP build:
Win32 https://o.rthost.win/palemoon/palemoon-28.10.7a1.win32-git-20240323-d849524bd-uxp-d8ac621203-xpmod.7z

Right! The release ending of *.xpmod.7z is the one for computers with a CPU equipped with SSE2 instruction set and above as it is in your case.

Edited by AstroSkipper

20 hours ago, j7n said:

I think they should summarize the differences between these browsers on the download page (whoever makes the download page). The choice of 6 browsers is confusing if you just want an old style browser for XP. I initially went with Serpent 55 because I thought it to be the newest, until I was told that it hasn't received as many updates since creation.

From the roytam1 regular releases, I count seven applications intended as browsers:  BNavigator, Iceape-UXP, New Moon 27.*, New Moon 28.*, Serpent 52.*, Serpent 55.*, and K-Meleon.

I find that the BNavigator browser to be the most useful and best performing of the options.

Edited by Ascii2

I have not been able to get the Win-RAID Forum ( https://winraid.level1techs.com/ ) forums to display well in any of @roytam1's releases or @feodor2's Mypal 68.* (however, on the former, the scrollbars do not display at all).  Have others tried or have had different experiences with those forums or know of a reasonable way to get the forums to display the full versions of the forum pages?  I just see very simple page items with options, such as account creation or Log-In, missing.

Using a user agent override does not appear to workaround the problem for the site.

Edited by Ascii2

38 minutes ago, Ascii2 said:

I have not been able to get the WinRAID Forum ( https://winraid.level1techs.com/ ) forums to display well in any of @roytam1's releases or @feodor2's Mypal 68.* (however, on the former, the scrollbars do not display at all).  Have others tried or have had different experiences with those forums or know of a reasonable way to get the forums to display the full versions of the forum pages?  I just see very simple page items with options, such as account creation or Log-In, missing.

Using a user agent override does not appear to workaround the problem for the site.

you can use your favorite ad blocker to block access of winraid.level1techs.com/assets/browser-detect-* to gain normal access of any disclosure-based forums, by blocking similar naming file located in different domain.

47 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

you can use your favorite ad blocker to block access of winraid.level1techs.com/assets/browser-detect-* to gain normal access of any disclosure-based forums, by blocking similar naming file located in different domain.

Thank you.  That worked.

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The "normal" one.  The ia32 and the sse are for very old CPUs and the i3 is quite "new" compared to what they are intended for.

To illustrate, look at the "Features" section at the bottom of this page  --  https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/core-i3-4160.c1767

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Right! The release ending of *.xpmod.7z is the one for computers with a CPU equipped with SSE2 instruction set and above as it is in your case.

Thank you very much! I was wondering about that too.

Edited by saphta

On 2/26/2024 at 1:09 AM, Ascii2 said:

@roytam1:
I am re-reporting (now with pictures) a MailNews problem that has not been resolved:
The "Attachments" Preferences tab does not fully display the chrome://messenger/content/preferences/applications.xul contents.  The top part of the content is cut off and "Incoming" and "Outgoing" tabs are hidden.  To toggle the tabs, in the Content Type list, select the Action of the last list item (you might need to click multiple times for the selection to happen), then type Ctrl+Tab (there are other ways to go about it too).

Here are some pictures for comparison:

Picture of the MailNews Preferences window with the "Incoming" tab of the Attachments tab active:
MailNews20240224__Attachments_Tab_Incoming.gif.f5b12e33486c3b29bda26c2993f143dd.gif

Picture of the MailNews Preferences window with the "Outgoing" tab of the Attachments tab active:
MailNews20240224__Attachments_Tab_Outgoing.gif.551d8572075980959e307692a77fe29e.gif

Picture of the Icedove-UXP Options window with the "Incoming" tab of the Attachments tab active:
Icedove-UXP20240224__Attachments_Tab_Incoming.gif.7bd8579f5a44166e71be51b6df6b3a88.gif

Picture of the Icedove-UXP Options window with the "Outgoing" tab of the Attachments tab active:
Icedove-UXP20240224__Attachments_Tab_Outgoing.gif.3c40f7fd8b5bd94777368ad899bb70a5.gif

As an additional note, the Incoming tab of the Attachments tab of the Preferences dialog box for the MailNews application, does not display the correct "Desktop" icon for the "Save files to" option.

On 3/11/2024 at 10:12 AM, roytam1 said:
On 3/11/2024 at 11:19 PM, Ascii2 said:

Yes, that the tabs are hidden is what I was showing to be the problem.  It appears that the tabs have been truncated at the top, at just under the header tabs of the "Attachments" main group.  Normally in Thunderbird (and usually derivative clients), the header tabs content does not truncate. The "Outgoing" header tab can still be activated by clicking the "Attachments" group header, tapping the Tab key, and then using Ctrl+Tab to toggle the tabs.

In his response, when @roytam1 stated, "it is hidden by default", he might have had a different frame of reference than of the one I understood.

In the end, it appears that MailNews defaults the mail.cloud_files.enabled preference to false, while Thuderbird historically has set that preference to true.  Both Thuderbird and MailNews have hide the tabs depending on what mail.cloud_files.enabled is set to.

The mail.cloud_files.enabled preference appears to globally control whether the cloud attachments integration feature is to be permitted or enabled in Thunderbird.  Presumably, when mail.cloud_files.enabled is set to false, the, "Offer to share files larger than MB", option from the Outgoing tab of the Attachments pane no longer has any effect.

Edited by Ascii2
Fixed post after Multi-Quote troubles

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:

16 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

Thank you.  That worked.

This is the rule which has to be added in uBlock Origin Legacy under the tab "My rules" to block the browser detection of the website https://winraid.level1techs.com/ and let it load properly again:

winraid.level1techs.com https://winraid.level1techs.com/assets/browser-detect-99f42f91bffa8ca1606d62b70bb92f981d83921e78ccdbd3d9538f07007f27ac.js script block

And if you want to block all these browser detection scripts of this type from all websites, you simply have to create an universal rule in the tab "My filters", strictly according to the motto "one for all" :P, just like this one:

/*browser-detect-*.js

I personally prefer the latter to block as many of those crappy browser detection scripts as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content