Just now, nicolaasjan said:

Does that also include security fixes?

These come via the platform (UXP) "updates" and are being implemented (when possible) by MCP himself (who has private access to them through Mozilla); if they're uploaded to the official UXP repo, then sure they'll be integrated/backported to Roy's fork of UXP (off-the-top-of-my-head, last summer's webp vulnerability was also patched "here"); be advised that a large number of Firefox "security fixes" involve e10s, as that isn't implemented in UXP, they won't make it onto "our" browsers...

9 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

I don't read the changelogs here that often. :blushing:

... Tsk, bad on you, dear friend :P ...

Best wishes :)

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

These come via the platform (UXP) "updates" and are being implemented (when possible) by MCP himself (who has private access to them through Mozilla); if they're uploaded to the official UXP repo, then sure they'll be integrated/backported to Roy's fork of UXP (off-the-top-of-my-head, last summer's webp vulnerability was also patched "here"); be advised that a large number of Firefox "security fixes" involve e10s, as that isn't implemented in UXP, they won't make it onto "our" browsers...

... Tsk, bad on you, dear friend :P ...

Best wishes :)

So I take it when the newest Serpent 52 is released, is that really just the latest version of Basilisk ported to XP/Vista?

Likewise, if I use the latest version of New Moon 28, is that really the same as Pale Moon 33x?  Without getting into confusing changelogs, how different are they?

Edited by Jody Thornton

Dear Jody, and I mean this in a genuine way :), you of all people shouldn't come back with the very same queries, because it was I who answered your similar queries in the not so distant past...

What it all comes down to is:

1. do you have a grasp of what open source code is?
2. do you have a grasp of what a forked open-source code repo is?
3. do you have a grasp of what a platform and an application built on it is?

If not, any answer you'll get from me won't make much sense to you, and I'm sorry to say that there's no simplistic yes/no answer to your re-iterated queries above...

MCP maintain the official UXP application platform, its repo is hosted below in:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/

There are several branches in that repo, main ones being master and release

MCP maintain the official Pale Moon browser application, its repo is hosted in:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/

Again, the two more important branches in that tree are master and release

The official Pale Moon releases are being issued at least once a month, compiled from code from the UXP release platform branch and PM release application branch.

Likewise, Basilisk-Dev maintains the official Basilisk browser application, its repo hosted in:

https://repo.palemoon.org/Basilisk-Dev/Basilisk/

Two branches of note there, too; master and release

The official Basilisk releases are being issued monthly, or as the dev's time permits, compiled from code from the UXP release platform branch (by MCP) and the Bk release application branch.

OTOH, roytam1 maintains a somewhat different development scheme; he maintains a code "smorgasbord" below:

https://github.com/roytam1/UXP

This is a fork of the official UXP platform repo (see above); the tracking branch of that repo follows more closely the master branch of the official UXP platform (see above); the forked UXP repo, by now, is different to the original one in various ways, one of which is in restoring WinXP+Vista support (which also entails several lib differences, like in ffvpx), another one is keeping Mozilla features MCP have dumped long ago (e.g. Web Extensions, Tab Containers, half-baked e10s code, EME, e.a); also, the NSS lib in "our" browsers is somewhat different to the one MCP maintain; that is why profiles between the official apps and roytam1 apps aren't 100% interchangeable...

The UXP repo by roytam1 also encompasses application-specific code, ported from the official PM master branch and the official Bk master branch, again chosen selectively (i.e. not all Pale Moon features end up in NM28, not all Bk features end up in St52, but most do).

The custom branch of roytam1's UXP repo holds the code snapshots that get compiled weekly to produce the NM28 and St52 releases; if you're still following:

It's difficult to directly compare the official releases to the roytam1 ones, because the first follow a different code development scheme + release schedules, but indeed all the vital code parts (features, bug/security fixes, etc) from the former find their way to the latter, sooner or later...

As a rule, based on what I detailed above, the "latest NM28 release" should contain all the "applicable" platform/app code found in the last PM release, and then some (i.e. code in the official master branches authored after the release was cut) ; likewise, the "latest St52 release" should contain all the "applicable" platform/app code found in the last Bk release, and then some (i.e. code in the official master branches committed after the release was cut - on that note, it's sad that Basilisk-Dev has admitted elsewhere that he's withholding on purpose to publish Bk code in its master branch until "the very last moment", so that "we" here be incapable of using it "ahead of time"...).

The only exception to the above is when "upstream" collectively (MCP/Basilisk-Dev) make a "mid-week release"; in that case, the builds released by roytam1 on the Saturday that immediately follows those mid-week upstream releases will have "caught up with them", so to speak...

Jody :) and others, please bookmark this post and revisit it as needed, so that I don't get asked the same things again and again - and no, one "can't have one's cake and eat it, too"; if one wants to keep using "these" browsers, one must also "keep in touch" with how things are developing "here" ; the issue of "precious personal time" has come up many a times in the past, but be sure I'm just a volunteer here, my personal time is as precious (to me) as is yours...

PS: Changelogs are NOT confusing, if one ever made a simple effort to understand what they do represent; they're made of git-commits between the previous and the current release, often times they're identical to the "upstream" commits they were ported from; so one can easily verify how far ahead of (or behind of or different to) the upstream code the current release happens to be...

Edited by VistaLover

33 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

on that note, it's sad that Basilisk-Dev has admitted elsewhere that he's withholding on purpose to publish Bk code in its master branch until "the last moment", so that "we" here are incapable of using it "ahead of time"...

Sad is a bit relative.  Too many toes stepped on.  Both sides have their pros and cons.  "It's Tricky", as Run-DMC used to say.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

...please bookmark this post and revisit it as needed, so that I don't get asked the same things again and again

Thanks; VistaLover and will bookmark your posting.

15 hours ago, VistaLover said:

So, you used the Fx-120 based one; try to use as value of "general.useragent.override.elektroda.pl" just "Chrome" (without the " ") and report back

The change OS value Windows NT 10.0 to Windows NT 5.2 in UA probably helped:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; rv:120.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/120.0

I use it for some time and let you know.

If the problem is still there, I will try to use "Chrome", and let you know.

Thanks for showing interest :)

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

FWIW, there's nothing "standard" about NM27 here :dubbio:; to add to what Mathwiz has posted: ......

Thank you for such a detailed and exhaustive explanation @VistaLover. It gives a great insight into our situation.

Good point about Googl-isation and it's a nasty thing, in my opinion largely caused by Adobe's incompetence (?) to keep Flash together - it was a great tool for web multimedia, but then their stupidity destroyed it all. Now we have all kinds of google shyte and I don't like it one bit.

What a blessing to have Roy that can make sense of it all and to in all honesty keep sane, classic systems usable.

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Jody :) and others, please bookmark this post and revisit it as needed

Done.

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

and no, one "can't have one's cake and eat it, too"; if one wants to keep using "these" browsers, one must also "keep in touch" with how things are developing "here"

Agreed!

Hi guys. Remember earlier this season I was telling you about corrupted files and occasional failures with SSD disks? Did some research and while I couldn't confirm from reliable sources, I got to thinking that we, the people who still use XP, can't TRIM SSD disks as newer operating systems do. I think this might contribute to early disk damage and file corruption. That led me to look for ways to take better care of SSD disks and one technique I've found is disable FF cache on disk and instead enable cache on ram. I did this in both SP 52.9 and Mypal 29.2.1 and performance improved quite a bit! The system as a whole seems more relieved.

Maybe old PC's with little ram will not be able to apply this -although I would try just to test it out- but I guess machines with 2gb of ram or more will. I leave you the link on how to do it. I used a value of 300mb and everything works perfect so far. Hope it helps! :)

Speed Up Firefox by Moving Your Cache to RAM

1 hour ago, chermany4ever said:

the people who still use XP, can't TRIM SSD disks as newer operating systems do.

There have been at least 3 topics about this subject.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173482-can-windows-xp-pro-x86-safely-trim-an-ssd/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181729-ssd-toolkit-for-xp/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/184168-trim-on-nvme-disk-under-winxp/

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

3 topics about this subject

Did a lot of research back in the day. I don't trust these methods of trimming from XP but I've read these three threads you share and I'm going to try some of the options. Thanks!