Supermium

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

unnecessary wear

I guess, though not sure if reads/writes contribute substantially to HDD failures -- the heads are never in contact with the disks, the disks are always spinning, whether they're being used or not. I mean, maybe the head assembly wagging back and forth might eventually wear out the bearings... dunno, tangent, could be wrong.

>voltage spikes

Core voltages momentarily ramp up? One of the joys of having old HW is not having to worry about stuff like that, close that HWMONITOR.  The GPU is there to be used, enjoy it :)

15 minutes ago, Dixel said:

close source parts

If he's messing with Microsoft's binaries, sorta has to be (just guessing here, know not what i speak of etc.).

20 hours ago, 66cats said:

Core voltages momentarily ramp up?

Yes, but it's with every browser that has video acceleration switched on, not only Supermium. 

20 hours ago, 66cats said:

One of the joys of having old HW is not having to worry about stuff like that, close that HWMONITOR.  The GPU is there to be used, enjoy it :)

It's the joy I wouldn't want to get rid of yet, Like I said, I don't watch videos in browsers, I have a huge Philips TV for that purpose.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Yes, but it's with every browser that has video acceleration switched on, not only Supermium. 

You could shut off HW acceleration in Supermium by going to Settings->System->turning off "Use hardware acceleration when available". OTOH, couldn't reproduce the symptoms you're describing on this box (Titan X GPU), in XP or Vista. Here's a screencap vid of Supermium being closed and reopened, with hwmonitor not showing any voltage/power change. Tell me how it looks on your Philips TV.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:58 PM, 66cats said:

How does one measure?

Here we can observe confirmations from multiple users:

"45 seconds to start up Supermium..."

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/358

Like I said, this doesn't happen to me with Ungooggled.

For me, it's not 45 seconds, but more like several seconds vs milliseconds in Ungoogled, still very high, especially if we consider the fact Supermium "greets" me with a blank white screen (despite the dark theme currently forced on), and it stays unresponsive for like 7-10 seconds. With extensions it'd be much, much longer.

6 hours ago, 66cats said:

You could shut off HW acceleration in Supermium by going to Settings->System->turning off "Use hardware acceleration when available". OTOH, couldn't reproduce the symptoms you're describing on this box (Titan X GPU), in XP or Vista. Here's a screencap vid of Supermium being closed and reopened, with hwmonitor not showing any voltage/power change. Tell me how it looks on your Philips TV.

Thanks, I think I already wrote I do it via CMD with flags, when you asked me which flags I use. Philips has brilliant, amazing colours, very natural. I enjoy British shows with David Attenborough.

6 hours ago, 66cats said:

couldn't reproduce the symptoms you're describing on this box (Titan X GPU), in XP or Vista. Here's a screencap vid of Supermium being closed and reopened, with hwmonitor not showing any voltage/power change.

Then try this - start Supermium with HW acceleration already switched on in advance, click play video, look at the voltage spike.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

I think I already wrote I do it via CMD with flags, when you asked me which flags I use.

You mentioned you preferred ungoogled because "Ungoogled version has more useful flags for user's convenience," so when i asked "which flags do you use," i meant "flags available in ungoogled Chromium, but not in vanilla Chrome."  So: which flags, available in ungoogled Chromium, but not in vanilla Chrome, do you use?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

start Supermium with HW acceleration already switched on in advance, click play video,

I was trying to recreate your voltage spike issue, and you don't watch vids in browsers, iirc. Should i reproduce an issue you've never experienced? But sure, when a GPU is actually used, core voltages go up from a state in which nothing is being done. This is perfectly normal & shouldn't cause concern. Your GPU will be fine, lots of us (most?) have HW acceleration enabled, that's simply not how GPUs die. Worry not, GPUs are hardy :)

Edited by 66cats

That was my experience too, but be aware that some extensions may not work correctly if just moved from 360Chrome to Supermium.
You might have to uninstall and reinstall them.

Just a quick recap on my experience with Supermium 121 so far, compared with 360Chrome.

It works fine, albeit rather slowly on my system.
The main issues I have with it are that it closes the browser when you close the last tab, something that drives me absolutely mad!
I have fixed that with an extension, but why it can't have a setting to prevent that, like 360Chrome does, is quite beyond me.
Also, I don't like the fact that there's no way to get bookmarks and external links to always open in a new tab, as there is on 360Chrome.
I guess there's probably an extension for that too, but why it isn't built in as a setting is again a mystery.
It really annoys me when things keep always opening in the same tab.

I would love to make it all a bit 'smaller'.
It's all a bit too large on the screen.
Yes, I can zoom websites to a smaller size, but the GUI remains the same of course.
Changing the font size settings doesn't seem to do anything.

It's certainly deeply linked to Google, as I guess Google Chrome is too.
I'm not too worried about that personally, but I'm sure a lot of people are!
:)

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I would love to make it all a bit 'smaller'.
It's all a bit too large on the screen.
Yes, I can zoom websites to a smaller size, but the GUI remains the same of course.
Changing the font size settings doesn't seem to do anything.

Try enabling the #custom-tab-shapes and #compact-ui flags, they should reduce the tab's size dramatically.

So far I'm enjoying Supermium. It's definetly a lot more trustworthy than 360Chrome, however I wish the installer had an option to pre-enable all ungoogled-chromium flags and remove the Google default search engine, as I am personally not a fan of the company.

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The main issues I have with it are that it closes the browser when you close the last tab, something that drives me absolutely mad!

There is a request for this function, but no response from the developer yet: https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/328

9 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Also, I don't like the fact that there's no way to get bookmarks and external links to always open in a new tab

To open links and bookmarks in a new tab, you need to click them with the middle mouse button. There is an extension that opens all links (not bookmarks) in a new tab: TabLink.

8 hours ago, bob_smith said:

Try enabling the #custom-tab-shapes and #compact-ui flags, they should reduce the tab's size dramatically.

So far I'm enjoying Supermium. It's definetly a lot more trustworthy than 360Chrome, however I wish the installer had an option to pre-enable all ungoogled-chromium flags and remove the Google default search engine, as I am personally not a fan of the company.

Thanks very much, I will give that a try.
:yes:

5 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

There is a request for this function, but no response from the developer yet: https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/328

To open links and bookmarks in a new tab, you need to click them with the middle mouse button. There is an extension that opens all links (not bookmarks) in a new tab: TabLink.

Glad to hear that someone has asked for that!
It's something that every browser should have as an option without having to install an extension to do it.
Yes. I'm aware of the middle click option, that's pretty standard.
I really shouldn't have to remember to do it all the time though!
I will look into the available extensions to help tab functionality.

:)

13 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

Requires SP3. I clarify for those who use SP2 like me.

GitHub member Okmeque1 has recently reported that the very latest Hotfix (R2) release, 

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/tag/v122-hf

is able to launch and run successfully in his machine; it has WinXP SP2 x86 as the OS ;) :

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/341#issuecomment-1984464451

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/341#issuecomment-1987143081

Full thread here :P ; you may then want to give it a try yourself  :whistle:...

11 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

GitHub member Okmeque1 has recently reported that the very latest Hotfix (R2) release, 

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/releases/tag/v122-hf

is able to launch and run successfully in his machine; it has WinXP SP2 x86 as the OS ;) :

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/341#issuecomment-1984464451

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/341#issuecomment-1987143081

Full thread here :P ; you may then want to give it a try yourself  :whistle:...

Already wrote that here :P