Webp Virus, fears, nightmares, suggestions, or exodus from the internet?

Dixel

9 hours ago, dmiranda said:

making non-savy surfers suffer some sort of issue, masked under some other extension, blah blah blah.

But I thought we weren't talking anymore. I'm so glad you (guys) decided to break the ice.  

That's precisely what I warned about, with that "fix" non-savvy people will get the wrong feeling of safety, and then infect themselves with WebP.

So perhaps I agree with you, better to do nothing than relax yourself with such "solutions". I'm not sure about the chance/infection rate.

Who are you, I don't remember. I recently fell off the second floor of a hooch we were clearing up in a far away country, so it could reflect on my memory.

The floor simply didn't hold my weight, I'm tall.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:37 AM, Dixel said:

Many servers run on Linux, not Windows.

You completely missed the point! If MSE can scan for the exploit on Windows, then surely widely-available AV software can scan for the exploit on Linux.

On 12/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, dmiranda said:

I just get the image attached, no crash, nothing, on sp52

Serpent 52 is patched. Try a pre-September version.

32 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Actually, you meant September 9 version. as September 16 version is the version to fix the webp security vulnerability.

This is how it looks like:

V6-Zasabj-MQ.png

Edited by mina7601

To stop the chain of events that can lead to the success of an exploit, a few tricks may be sufficient even in unpatched browsers.
I have seen exploits rendered harmless with the renderer at IL AppContainer.
In my opinion those who have an unpatched browser,listed on the anti-exploit list,and take a number of expedients that at various points can counteract the chain of events that can lead to the success of an exploit,i.e., leverage an unpatched vulnerability in the browser and/or OS can be reasonably safe.

Using uBlock Origin with dynamic filtering enabled is considered by all security experts to be a security surplus in the browser.

8 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Ha ha, good to know I had the fix already. I feel safer :P.  I also tried in mypal, so I guess that is also fixed. 

As per trying on a non-fixed version, I completely trust what you say: I tried even though I thought I was unprotected. Put to think about it, not the first time, really ;P

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Ha ha, good to know I had the fix already. I feel safer :P.  I also tried in mypal, so I guess that is also fixed. 

As per trying on a non-fixed version, I completely trust what you say: I tried even though I thought I was unprotected. Put to think about it, not the first time, really ;P

How were you able to determine that Mypal is patched? Just I wanted to know this as well but am unsure how to make the determination. Thank you, man.

13 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Actually, you meant September 9 version. as September 16 version is the version to fix the webp security vulnerability.

This is how it looks like:

V6-Zasabj-MQ.png

Were did you get that link, Mina, I'm trying to read it but my eyes wont let me me get very far - would you be so kind as so post that link you have in your address bar as and I read the entire thread and cant find it. Either its not there, or the green tea is not working very well this morning :P

Edited by XPerceniol

12 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Using uBlock Origin with dynamic filtering enabled is considered by all security experts to be a security surplus in the browser.

I'd like to read that article where "all security experts considered" this, thanks.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, Mathwiz said:

Just to show the skeptics that the vulnerability is real and not mere fearmongering, you can download a "bad" WebP image here:

https://github.com/mistymntncop/CVE-2023-4863/raw/main/bad.webp

Important note: This WebP file does not contain any malware or exploit code! I wouldn't link to such a thing here on MSFN, even with a warning (and if it did, I don't think GitHub would allow it anyway). But it does trigger a buffer overflow in unpatched software, likely leading the software to crash. (For example, I got the "Aw, snap!" page in 360EE.) Therefore, you can use this as a "quick-and-dirty" test for vulnerable, unpatched software.

It has nothing to do with scepticism, it's just caution!

"mistymntncop" looks like a random account on github, nothing official.

Has no projects:

https://github.com/mistymntncop?tab=projects

Not even a description of who that man (woman?) is.

43 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Were did you get that link, Mina, I'm trying to read it but my eyes wont let me me get very far - would you be so kind as so post that link you have in your address bar as and I read the entire thread and cant find it.

4th page, first post.

41 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

4th page, first post.

Thank you! Wow do I feel red in the face ... guess I've not been able to shake all the cobwebs from my brain this morning. :o Looks like Mypal is indeed patched then so please disregard my posting to you @dmiranda and @mina7601. I've also never felt safer. :lol:

Edited by XPerceniol

50 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I'd like to read that article where "all security experts considered" this, thanks.

Here in benefit of dynamic filtering referring only to third-party frame blocking:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Dynamic-filtering:-Benefits-of-blocking-3rd-party-iframe-tags

as you can see it is a formidable defense against exploits as well.
Those using higher dynamic filtering (Medium Mode or Hard Mode obviously have more protection at the security/privacy level.

I use Hard Mode + TLD's

Some other opinions Sven Taylor:

https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

ArkenFox user.js:

https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/wiki/4.1-Extensions#small_orange_diamond-️-anti-fingerprinting-extensions-fk-no