The funny outcome of modern social media

sunryze

An actors' social site IMDB is also paywalled since quite some time ago. They run a script to show their subscription window and then the site blocks the browser.

4 hours ago, Saxon said:

and then the site blocks the browser.

Those are more often than not very easily defeated.

Just open the Dev Tools and hunt for the "overlay", uncheck its display/visibility/position/etc styles parameter at the right, you generally only need to uncheck ONE parameter once you learn "what to look for".

You can also right-click and "hide" the overlay element in the left pane, once you learn "what to look for".

There are probably "extensions" that can do it "for you", if you prefer that route.

11 hours ago, Saxon said:

Reddit paywalled, too?

No, I just meant that the alternative forms of viewing other people’s thoughts online outside of social media are small time forums or blog sites that are usually behind a paywall. Especially news sites.

23 hours ago, sunryze said:

You can actually do something great and not be greedy.

Continuing from this, the whole idea that people get where they want to increase their value exponentially is to what I believe the reason many good things don’t last. If you set your sights on a realistic expectation, a goal that fits your needs rather than making billions just because you can, then you won’t drown in the thoughts of economic loopholes and consistently exploiting your customers for just pennies more per day.

If you can be happy with what you have and not be greedy and selfish, then that is a big help towards keeping you and your products healthy and afloat. There are some exceptions though, like a situation where you are able to price your products out and make billions (Apple), but that’s mostly because the American culture nearly revolves around them.

Social media can exist if they didn’t fall into these traps and maintained a strict trust and safety team. You’re moderating mostly losers in their parents basement on social media, you can’t let them just roam free.

16 hours ago, sunryze said:

(Apple), but that’s mostly because the American culture nearly revolves around them.

I'm sure you wanted to say evolves, right? Well, it depends on the social circle, and varies from one state to another.

On 7/6/2023 at 12:30 PM, sunryze said:

People abandoned Facebook quite fast because even the illiterate know it’s a privacy nightmare.

With Mobilizon, you can create events, share those events as widely as you wish, and keep attendees up to date on developments—all without Facebook required. (You can still share events on Facebook, if you're into that sort of thing.) Mobilizon is free and open-source, and it federates with other services via ActivityPub.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/quitting-twitter-try-these-alternative-social-media-networks

Someone tried CounterSocial? It's just sounds too good to be true!

"No Trolls. No Abuse. No Ads. No Fake News. No Foreign Influence Ops."

"CounterSocial states there are no ads, trolls, fake news or abuse on their platform. This social media platform is not available everywhere. Blocked countries include China, Iran and Russia, among others.

CounterSocial offers news, livestreaming and the ability to create communities. Users determine the content on CounterSocial. They can also create columns on its user interface to sort posts by topics, hashtags and users. Users can share, like and comment on posts. A video chat feature is also included."

https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/feature/Best-Twitter-alternatives

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 3:09 PM, Tripredacus said:

The primary mistake of those large platforms was that they wanted to get everyone onto there, and didn't understand how people on the internet are. You can't have a platform for everyone, especially not everyone in the world. There are too many disagreements and too much funstering that exists to make it viable.

Well, from what I've read, this is INTENDED - social media dramas and arguments make people more engaged, thus spend more time and look more at ads. And how cool data they're leaving for political profilers, woo!

I personally hate social media. I signed to facebook when I had to, as everyone at the university used it and I stayed, but using messenger only - everything blocked what's possible and never opening the board. Instagram, snapchat, tiktok - those are crap for me, never signed in. For twitter, I decided not to sign up and try to go with nitter - redirecting proxy. The only site that is considered social media and noone can get without is youtube, as too many content is being posted only there. that's major thing I hate about social media - they consume smaller sites, and many things are updated only on FB. Blogs I've been reading years ago are now social media exclusive, and I never checked them again. As for alternatives, there are some, but they are used either by political extremists or geeks and thus miss the big point of social media - connecting with a lot of people via one hub. recently, CoHost got my attention, as they promised to be free of profiling, tracking and feed selection, but I always see such initiatives as a potential trap. Anyone remembers Brave being advertised as ethical and privacy-friendly?

23 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Instagram, snapchat, tiktok - those are crap for me

Instagram is mostly for those who have something to show: perfect bodies, fancy life, interesting pets, cars. For those who don't have either, it's just not suitable.

I shouldn't say it's a complete crap, but their requirements for "always logged in" are crappy, I agree.

23 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Anyone remembers Brave being advertised as ethical and privacy-friendly?

The same can be said about Firefox.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183138-mozilla-and-firefox-has-turned-into-evil-and-lie-to-their-userbase-leave-it-and-go-for-alternatives/

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

Instagram is mostly for those who have something to show: perfect bodies, fancy life, interesting pets, cars. For those who don't have either, it's just not suitable.

Yes, totally agree, I used IG quite extensively, until they blocked my account, after I tried to login from a cafe with another IP, obviously. I don't understand how people, who often go abroad, what, they're also blocked?

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

until they blocked my account, after I tried to login from a cafe with another IP, obviously. I don't understand how people, who often go abroad, what, they're also blocked?

Got mine blocked for dozens of time, each time when I was on holidays, when tried to post from another countries. Always a show, too complicated, they always want to have "proof it's  you" and so on. Insane, simply insane.

During COVID, I started deleting my accounts on all major social media sites and since then, life has been WAY better. I now only communicate via E-mail, IRC or forums. Because Facebook is still very popular in my country, people look at me, especially at High school, as if I'm a caveman, but it might due to the fact that I use a Nokia 1600 as my daily phone. :lol: There is no need for me to have it, as our school provides every student with an e-mail address, where all school related stuff should go, not on crappy Facebook Messenger!!

• 7 months later...

I have absolutely no social media and I intend to keep it that way and utilize forums; but, sadly, the only way to keep in touch with family is with social media nowadays. For me its not big deal because I'm not even on speaking terms with a large portion of my aged family but its not my fault.

Edited by XPerceniol