Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

If there were not massive security concerns about Kaspersky, which have been sufficiently discussed in this thread and can be read here, then just looking at this list of loaded DLL files by Kaspersky's programme file avp.exe would be enough not to install such a programme nonono.gif:

Wzkb6W9.png

This is more like a DLL file invasion and abuse. suisjebete.gif One can scroll until the fingers are sore. :buehehe: This gives an even better understanding of the warning issued by the BSI in Germany. Personally, I would never under any circumstances install such a programme, even as a test. :no: So, my dear readers, be careful when looking for an antimalware programme! You don't have to knowingly contaminate and compromise your system. nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Pleasse count the .dll's for other anti-virus programs and report back your findings on them also.  McAfee for one is also very big into this "DLL file invasion and abuse".

Taking this thread to such "anti-Kaspersky" extremes serves your viewers a dis-service and not a "service".

What @UCyborg posted is of USEFUL IMPORTANCE and is INFORMATIVE to the viewer.  We need more of THAT instead of useless "massive security concern" innuendos without actual proof or verification.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

@UCyborg kind of beat me to the punch.

I have an XP Era Correct laptop (Dell Latitude D830) that I spent last night formatting and creating four partitiions.  One partition is for shared data, the other three are for a "triple boot XP" setup.

Boot into first partition and you have an untouched default-install XP x86 SP3 (no POSReady, maybe later) installation with Anti-Virus "Brand X".

Boot into second partition and you have an untouched default-install XP x86 SP3 (no POSReady, maybe later) installation with Anti-Virus "Brand Y".

Boot into third partition and you have an untouched default-install XP x86 SP3 (no POSReady, maybe later) installation with Anti-Virus "Brand Z".

My next step was to install anti-virus onto each partition, with one being KASPERSKY.

The informed reader needs information.  Let's seek to supply actual INFORMATION.

Again, a many MANY thanks to @UCyborg for starting an INFORMATIVE discussion.

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Correct! The image of used DLL files is totally perfect for the verification of the existing, massive security concerns in terms of Kaspersky:thumbup

True, but let's not hide those concerns under the rug for OTHER anti-virus programs.  Let's NOT act like Kaspersky is the only offender.

McAfee is equally "offensive" and I may end up posting the same sort of "DLL H3LL" screencap later this weekend.

How many .dll's does AVG use?  How many additional "processes" listed in Task Manager?  Et cetera.

I view it along the lines of “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Pointing out the Kaspersky Plank while pretending sawdust doesn't exist in other products is "misleading".

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Taking this thread to such "anti-Kaspersky" extremes serves your viewers a dis-service and not a "service".

It is a service to the reader of my thread to point out software that many countries consider a significant security risk. And, since you reject and do not use any anti-malware programmes and firewalls, as you have posted very often here on MSFN, I cannot take seriously your praise for Kaspersky and all investigations whose results are biased and predictable. :no: There is a nice saying in the German language: "Schuster, bleib bei deinen Leisten!". Translated only for you: "Cobbler, stick to your last!". But it will certainly be fun to read "your results". :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@NotHereToPlayGames Apart from that, I haven't read anything from you in this thread that could in any way help readers learn about security programmes. Most of your few posts here are generally rather offtopic and informationless. If you change that at some point, that would be nice and provide a real service to the reader. And by that I mean contributions that do not have Kaspersky as their content. Because the topic has been discussed extensively here and in the old anitvirus thread. :boring:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

That is true.  Because I do not use nor believe in anti-virus products.  That said, it IS the anti-Kaspersky talks that have me INSTALLING IT on a laptop "to witness for myself".

I am not "praising" Kaspersky.  In fact, it's the opposite.  My view (from past experience) is that ALL anti-virus programs do what we often point out in regards to Kaspersky.

I am installing it!  Among a couple others.

By all means, please tell me exactly which ones to install.  My goal is to install only THREE and one of those three MUST be Kaspersky.

Whatever reservations anyone may have about using Kaspersky, or any other security program, discussing them here is completely appropriate.
The whole point of threads like this, and indeed this whole forum, is to enable people to make informed decisions about this sort of thing.
There will be no shutting down of debate by anyone.
Any attempt to do that will result in this thread being closed.

Ever since I upgraded my Windows XP notebook to SP3, I noticed slowness, I tend to think it's the new SP that brought it. Dear guru @AstroSkipper, maybe I bother you for your current personal recommendation of AV? I only need AV, I already have a firewall, which is being the Komodo version we discussed here earlier. Ultimately, I'm looking for a fast and easy on resources security software, of course Kaspersky is out of question due to massive security concerns!

Thank you very much! 

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

This thread is about security programs for XP that are secure. 

Agreed!  But let's be fair and open.

Firefox, SRWare Iron, etc is not secure by default, the end user has to take steps to make it secure.

360Chrome is not secure by default, MSFN went through great lengths to create a version we are comfortable using.

The same CAN be done for Kaspersky.  And it is a valid topic of discussion for this thread.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed!  But let's be fair and open.

Firefox, SRWare Iron, etc is not secure by default, the end user has to take steps to make it secure.

360Chrome is not secure by default, MSFN went through great lengths to create a version we are comfortable using.

The same CAN be done for Kaspersky.  And it is a valid topic of discussion for this thread.

It would then be a modded software, and this topic includes only the original versions,

Fair would be to have a banner with a warning, smth like: Custom modified AV, self-proclaimed to be secure.

And I'm pretty sure it's against their EULA, so you can be sued for modding the code.

It's a friendly advice on how not to get into trouble with the law.