Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

20 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

We've had similar issues but it was with McAfee.  Uninstalled McAfee and it took us three days to get the production line back to full capacity.  And that was with a CORPORATE version of McAfee!

It's one of the reasons I'm not a technician anymore. It's different in a corporate environment. You can't just take the easy way and format the computer to solve problems. There's a lot of configuration and data to be lost that way. I fix computers occasionally but it's just regular people that I can just save their photos or music collections and then paste it back after a format.

I put my trust in Forbes, it never let me down. Forbes is one the most reputable sources.

There's no Kaspersky in the best 10 AV list, while the still supported XP version of Malwarebytes is being one of the "Best for Real-Time Protection".

The article is free to read:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/software/best-antivirus-software/

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

We've had similar issues but it was with McAfee.  Uninstalled McAfee and it took us three days to get the production line back to full capacity.  And that was with a CORPORATE version of McAfee!

I'm assuming it was Windows XP? Did you or your boss escalate the issue with their technical support? I got a full refund for their product, which seemed to cause slowness to my Windows XP PC.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I put my trust in Forbes, it never let me down. Forbes is one the most reputable sources.

Surely among the 10 most reputable sources[1] related to computer security, their suggestions are clearly independent, McAfee clearly deserves a 4 star rating and Avira 4.5, while Eset has 2.6. :whistle:

jaclaz

[1] according to independent testing

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

There's no Kaspersky in the best 10 AV list, while the still supported XP version of Malwarebytes is being one of the "Best for Real-Time Protection".

I find this very difficult to believe.  Appears to be Backward Reasoning.  http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/types_reasoning/backwards_reasoning.htm

Can you also find a Forbes List dated September 2023 that lists XP or 7 or Vista as an Operating System to be using in 2023 ???

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Surely among the 10 most reputable sources[1] related to computer security, their suggestions are clearly independent, McAfee clearly deserves a 4 star rating and Avira 4.5, while Eset has 2.6. :whistle:

jaclaz

[1] according to independent testing

Thank you, thank , thank you jaclaz! Facts, independent and unbiased statements is what we really need.

I shall make sure to upvote your post as soon as the new drastic "timing" limit will be regenerated (reset) for the new day. 

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

Thank you for the link to this article! Forbes has always been a renowned and excellent source of information of all kinds. Since the list of leading companies for security programmes is kept independent of versions and operating systems, it is relevant here. The editorial implementation there of what is or is not listed is consistent with the concept of security and confirms my stance here in the thread. Thanks again! :yes:

The word for today is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

When it comes to commercial products, I doubt that Forbes (or any other publication) is or can be actually reliable, and "voting" on antivirus programs is always somehow skewed/biased, even the actual tests (that surely Forbes Authors do not perform themselves) are tricky when it comes to this kind of programs.

The PCMag in its list of best antivirus programs at least explains why Kaspersky has been excluded (political reasons[1]):

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-antivirus-protection

Where Did Kaspersky Go?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus topped the antivirus lab testing charts for many years, garnering perfect scores, or at least near-perfect. It has also held PCMag's Editors' Choice honor for countless years. It's both attractive and effective. And it no longer appears in our list of best antivirus apps. Here's why.

For years, Kaspersky has faced accusations and censure based on its Russian origins, though none of the accusations have come backed by hard evidence of malicious behavior. We at PCMag focused on the capabilities of the apps, not on the brouhaha around the company. However, the current war in Ukraine has raised the stakes. Governments and third parties have cut ties with Kaspersky. The FCC labeled Kaspersky a national security risk.

After consideration, we can no longer recommend you purchase Kaspersky security programs. We've left the reviews in place, with a warning, since they provide useful information. But at least for now, we're removing Kaspersky programs from our "Best of" lists.

jaclaz

[1] which not necessarily means they are not valid only because they are political.

53 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

The PCMag in its list of best antivirus programs at least explains why Kaspersky has been excluded (political reasons[1])

Your statement suggests that there is no explanation on the linked Forbes website as to why Kaspersky was not listed. If that's what you meant to imply, I'm afraid that's not correct. :no: The reasons are clearly stated on that website. Here is the link which can be found there easily: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/software/best-antivirus-software/#why_is_kaspersky_not_listed_section smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Thank you for the article with another official warnings about Kaspersky!

In this article they say:

"After consideration, we can no longer recommend you purchase Kaspersky security programs."  "...we're removing Kaspersky programs from our "Best of" lists."

Also they say:

"though none of the accusations have come backed by hard evidence of malicious behavior."

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-antivirus-protection

I decided to help the investigative journalists and found this missing piece of information!

I recently made a post where these accusations where backed up by the Russian (yes, Russian) investigators.

I created a post (without my comments and views on the matter), I only linked to the

translated Russian source and added a couple of cited sentences. 

The post gets deleted in a matter of seconds! 

Such kind of blatant and biased censorship has no place on a technical forum.

Relevant screengrabs archived as current moderator(s) have created an environment of mistrust by deleting undesirable posts.

This incident has not (yet) been reported to the higher authorities of the forum, though I already obtained their contact details.

But I still hope (yet) someone who deleted it will come to his senses.

If in the future, if I'll be censored, pursued for my opinions, somehow again mistreated on this forum,

I'll have no other choice but to resort to informing the dedicated European organisations and the free EU Press.

MSFN is located in Europe and must obey the EU laws and regulations.

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Can you also find a Forbes List dated September 2023 that lists XP or 7 or Vista as an Operating System to be using in 2023 ???

I'm sorry. This is not relevant to the subject that is being discussed. But if you kindly use the search function, you will see: Malwarebytes is still officially supported for XP.

I can agree to that aspect, Mr. Saxon.

Although in a more generalized sense, me thinks the thread just needs locked.  All we have is two "gangs taking their fight to the streets".  Public bickering under some guise of "I'm always right" and trying to convince the entire MSFN Membership of said "righteousness".

Glimmers of informative posts here and there, but overall just an internet version of West Side Story.