Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

The main point is that both 64 editions are clearly off-topic here.

News to me.  I didn't think this thread was dedicated to x86 "only".  Unsure of what the split is on MSFN Members that run XP as to how many of them are x86 versus x64.

I run x64 (Windows XP Professional x64 Edition) but had no clue that there are "two versions" of x64.  Interesting.  It is safe to say that no MSFN Member is running the "Itanium" edition.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I run x64 (Windows XP Professional x64 Edition) but had no clue that there are "two versions" of x64.  Interesting.  It is safe to say that no MSFN Member is running the "Itanium" edition.

Yes there was, obviously. Large corporations like Fujitsu-Siemens made a lot of ready-made Itanium workstations in Europe, I read HP also produced them up tp 2006-2007, so we can't be sure.

I think the previous poster simply confused this thread with the old one, which was x86 only. Could you try panda on your XP64?

On 9/11/2023 at 9:31 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

It will be interesting to hear from WSC4 if he tests Panda.

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

"the proof is in the pudding"; @WSC4, you shall have the last word on this ;) ...

There are 2 installers.  The online installer and the offline installer. It did not matter which one I ran, both came up with this:

Panda_1.png.2f3887ef64c2b6ca6637af7b4ecd43be.png

I searched about this on their site and they say it needs Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 or higher.  Clicking the Continue button does nothing.  This does not make sense because I have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 installed.  I installed it a few years and seems to be running fine.

Panda_2.png.7fe6894f9c92a20069952a8e97b16e67.png

I installed the 32 and 64 bit versions.  Not sure if I needed both.  I will have to ask Panda support about this.

Edited by WSC4

38 minutes ago, WSC4 said:

There are 2 installers.  The online installer and the offline installer. It did not matter which one I ran, both came up with this:

Panda_1.png.2f3887ef64c2b6ca6637af7b4ecd43be.png

I searched about this on their site and they say it needs Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 or higher.  Clicking the Continue button does nothing.  This does not make sense because I have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319 installed.  I installed it a few years and seems to be running fine.

Panda_2.png.7fe6894f9c92a20069952a8e97b16e67.png

I installed the 32 and 64 bit versions.  Not sure if I needed both.  I will have to ask Panda support about this.

Check your installation of .NET Framework first! Here are two links to posts where I already wrote about that: 
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177099-which-antiviruses-are-known-for-a-fact-to-be-working-on-xp-sp3-as-of-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1240673

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177099-which-antiviruses-are-known-for-a-fact-to-be-working-on-xp-sp3-as-of-2019/?do=findComment&comment=1240692

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie_pc_169.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

Could you try panda on your XP64?

Not likely, to be perfectly honest.

While I do follow this thread [and respect the knowledge herein] (and basically "all" threads here at MSFN), I don't actually use "security programs" on ANY of my OSs.

<side note - https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/feature/Which-is-correct-OSs-OSes-or-OSs >

<insert AstroSkipper's "to each their own" gif>

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

About x64 5.2 - this is only one we are talking about. Just note many apps have stupid lock to 6.0, I faced various of them. They cant be lauched until you fix them. For example latest CrystalDiskInfo

Edited by George King

2 hours ago, George King said:

About x64 5.2 - this is only one we are talking about. Just note many apps have stupid lock to 6.0, I faced various of them. They cant be lauched until you fix them. For example latest CrystalDiskInfo

Thanks for the info! :) But I would appreciate it very much not to totally slide into discussions that have nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread. smilie-denk-17.gif

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Cathedra mea, regulae meae.

Greetings from Sheldon Cooper! spanachee.gif The owner of a forum would say: 

Forum meum, regulae meae.

And the creator of a thread like me has to say as usual:

Causa mea, regulae meae.

A bit off-topic in a thread is never a problem. But please, let's get back on topic again! Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie-denk-58.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@WSC4! I assume both installers of Panda Anitvirus Free do either not recognise your installation of .NET Framework 4 correctly, or your installation is heavily corrupted, or a missing .NET Framework 4 security update is the cause. Maybe, you can check, for example, via WU/MU if an update is still available. For example, one of the last updates offered for Windows XP 64 Bit was KB2736428 (checked via Microsoft Update Catalog). If checking your installation by using the tools I already linked for you in my previous post does not help, I personally would uninstall .NET Framework 4 completely (via the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool) and do a fresh reinstall. When doing so, please keep in mind to keep a special order in terms of .NET Framework 4 installation under Windows XP 64 Bit. All is described here:

After a reinstallation of .NET Framework 4, you still have to install all existing security updates, for example, via WU/MU.
BTW, I had no problems at all to install Panda Antivirus Free under a fully updated Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit including all POSReady updates. smilie_denk_24.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper lousyputer.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

And to contribute a bit more on topic again, @NotHereToPlayGames (you are the only one I know who uses Windows XP 64 bit) might be so nice to open the offline installer of Panda Antivirus Free on his Windows XP 64 Bit machine to check whether the same problem, @WSC4 reported here, occurred or not. No need to install it. So, don't be worried! :P No raccoons in there either! spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Same thing on my XP x64 as @WSC4 is seeing. I didn't find this KB2600211 update they speak of, maybe this one in particular is the key. No updates for .NET Framework 4 are installed, tried installing first two I found, KB2600217 and KB3037578, but no difference.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I didn't find this KB2600211 update they speak of, maybe this one in particular is the key.

Unfortunately, I was not aware that you are also a Windows XP 64 bit user. Anyway! Search for two files, NDP40-KB2600211-x86.exe and NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe, via Google! You will find them immediately! :) Or try this link: 
https://web.archive.org/web/20190515222337/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29053
BTW, did you try to install Panda as admin? :dubbio: And there is already a nice thread about .NET Framework

One of its posts contains a list with (all?) security updates of .NET Framework 4 until 2023 made by @Cixert:

Greetings, AstroSkipper contrat1.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 5/1/2023 at 3:46 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Malware Hunter

Malware Hunter is an antimalware program from Glarysoft and is still XP-compatible. It comes in two versions, the free version Malware Hunter and the commercial version Malware Hunter Pro. It detects and removes stubborn malware that can cause potential danger. Its malware database is constantly updated either automatically or manually depending on the installed version. Additionally, it is supposed to clean disks and speed up your PC. It is even equipped with the Avira scan engine.

Features:

• Malware Scan - Scan your computer quickly and thoroughly. Detect and remove stubborn malware to prevent potential danger. Support scheduled scan to save your time
  • Speed Up - Help you optimize your system to speed up and boost your computer performance.
  • Disk Cleaner - Clean up temporary & unnecessary files. Remove unneeded documents to save computer storage space.
  • Process Protection - Protect your PC from malware, such as Trojan, worms, spyware, and other online threats.
  • 3 Scan modes
  • Avira engine
  • Hyper scan for a faster scanning speed
  • Malware removal
  • Real-time protection and automatic updates (only in Malware Hunter Pro)

Homepage: https://www.glarysoft.com/malware-hunter/

Version number:  1.169.0.787 update.gif

Date of release: 17.07.2023

System requirements:

Runs on Microsoft Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP and Vista. Including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Version history and release notes:

Reviews:

https://onlinecloudsecurity.com/malware-hunter-review-is-it-safe-to-download/

https://tweaklibrary.com/glarysoft-malware-hunter-pro-review/

Download page: https://www.glarysoft.com/downloads/?p=mh-page

Direct download link: https://download.glarysoft.com/mhsetup.exe

Screenshots:

Malware-Hunter.png

Malware-Hunter-2.png

Malware-Hunter-4.png

Although I personally don't prefer features like cleanup or optimization inside an antimalware program, the fact that this program is still compatible with Windows XP and has an Avira scan engine does not make it uninteresting. In any case, it can be used as an offline scanner in the free version and can also be set up as a portable version. You have full control over Malware Hunter via its systray icon. It is definitely an option for Windows XP.

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi09.gif

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 28.08.2023 and is now available in version 1.171.0.789. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

15 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 28.08.2023 and is now available in version 1.171.0.789. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

I have tested Malware Hunter in version 1.171.0.789 on my system, and it is still compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I updated my article.

Edited by AstroSkipper

Unfortunately, I was not aware that you are also a Windows XP 64 bit user. Anyway! Search for two files, NDP40-KB2600211-x86.exe and NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe,
BTW, did you try to install Panda as admin? 

I downloaded the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and tested all version of .NET that I have.  All passed with flying colours.  Just to make sure, I also downloaded and ran NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe which is the Update 4.0.3 for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 – Runtime Update.  Installed OK.

I also found FREEAV.exe is zipped and using 7-ZIP extracted all the files.  In there is the PandaCloudAntivirus_x64.msi installer and setup.exe installer.  Unfortunately, running each one came up with the same .NET error.  

Thanks to AstroSkipper for going to all the trouble of helping and supplying all those links, updates and support tools.  I have given up on Panda and have decided it is not suitable for XP 64-bit and will move on and try others.

Edited by WSC4