Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

On 9/23/2023 at 6:18 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

IF Kaspersky (after removing telemetry and Unique ID String) is lean and mean compared to AVG, Avast, McAfee, Norton, MalwareBytes, then WE MUST consider it as the "superior" alternative for OLD HARDWARE.

@NotHereToPlayGames, wait a minute! You're deviating from the course! You were going to also remove "telemetry" to force us to use it, we "MUST", lol. OK, when shall we be seeing the patched version?

Enlighten us, please.

Please INSTALL Kaspersky BEFORE we continue this TALKING IN CIRCLES CHARADE.

The only telemetry is an injected script that Kaspersky's own SETTINGS allow you to TURN OFF.

@AstroSkipper - is this the intent of this thread?  to just "wear down" any and all that have a different opinion?  Germany vs Italy?  "we will win all arguments with those that disagree with us by making it totally EXHAUSTING for opposing views to present their case."

I'm done.  NOT WORTH MY TIME.  I do like Panda.  Not enough to actually start using it on anything but a spare laptop.  Hope the thread becomes USEFUL to SOMEBODY.  But no, NOT TO ME.  Not if it's just going to be a "EU-Divide" and two boxers returning to their corner when the bell rings.  Only to jump into the center and dance around in circles while they PUMMEL each other.

Ding ding.  The bell has rung.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

"EU-Divide"

Please don't bring politics here, and just so you know, EU is stronger than ever, and America is very well united in banning Kaspersky, in case you missed, you may familiarise yourself with the article I posted about that matter. That said, I hope we leave aside the "dead horse kaspersky" and move on! We are waiting when you gift us with the update to 360 Explorer on the 95th engine.

On 9/18/2023 at 1:03 AM, AstroSkipper said:

AVG Antivirus Free

AVG AntiVirus Free edition provides realtime protection to your Windows PC from viruses, spyware, ransomware, and other malware. It can block unsafe links, downloads, and email attachments before they are run. Present version comes with an added layer of ransomware protection, which also stops hackers from hijacking your webcam. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 is the last compatible version with Windows XP and, as the name implies, free of charge. Although AVG AntiVirus Free 18.8.4084.0 doesn't receive programme updates, it still protects Windows XP owners with regular virus definition updates.

Main features:

• Real-Time PC Protection - Instantly protects you against even the latest threats.
  • Web Protection - Scans your devices and blocks unsafe links and downloads.
  • Email Protection - Scans your emails (POP3, IMAP4, SMTP) and blocks unsafe links, downloads and attachments.

Homepage:

https://www.avg.com/en-us/windows-xp-antivirus#pc

http://web.archive.org/web/20181129115122/https://www.avg.com/en-us/windows-xp-antivirus

Version number: 18.8.4084.0

Date of release: 26.11.2018

System requirements: Compatibel with Microsoft Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 und XP.

Version history: There is none.

Tests:

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-july-november-2018/

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/avc_prot_2018b_en.pdf

award-27513-1683016-stars3.png

Reviews: 

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/avg-antivirus-free

https://www.technadu.com/avg-antivirus-free-review/13191/

Download links:

Online installer:

http://web.archive.org/web/20181129115104if_/https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x/avg_antivirus_free_setup.exe

Offline installer:

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x-xp/avg_antivirus_free_setup_offline.exe

Virus database offline updater:

https://install.avcdn.net/avinitro/aviupd.exe

Uninstaller:

And a further tool associated with this AVG version is the AVG Clear 18.8.4084.0 to get rid of all installed components if necessary:

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x-xp/avgclear.exe

Screenshots:

AVG-Antivirus-Free.png

AVG-Antivirus-Free-3.jpg

AVG-Antivirus-Free-4.jpg

AVG-Antivirus-Free-5.jpg

Besides all the "objective" facts I have listed above, now some of my own experiences I made in the past. And to be fair, the positives first. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 seems to have a good detection rate in recognising malware as stated in the tests performed by AV comparatives. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 offers a real-time PC protection. It is free of charge, compatible with Windows XP, and it still receives definition updates. Now, the negatives. The installation package and the programme itself is unfortunately bloated such as Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.4084.0. Not to mention the resource consumption I had to observe which is especially a problem on old, weak computers. In my opinion, AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 is a cheap imitation of Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.4084.0. As reported by me several times, I had various problems with Avast. But AVG takes the cake. :realmad: After installing, AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 caused only problems, crashed my Windows XP computer, and generated BSODs. panne1.gifThat's why I provided the download link to AVG Clear 18.8.4084.0 to get rid of this version completely if you should suffer from similar problems. AVG or more precisely Avast does not provide an own version history for AVG Antivirus Free. IMHO, the choice between AVG and Avast is actually a bit like between plague and cholera maintete.gif, but I would always choose Avast if I had to. This is hopefully never the case again, though. :P TBH, I actually have listed AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 here only for completeness to let the users decide themselves. smilie-denk-49.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

PS:
The research for this article was hell. smilie_g_002.gif Useful information about AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 was almost impossible to find. :no: The support (Avast) only points to their own Avast products. :angry:
If someone is looking for support for AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0, he can expect something. And I don't mean anything good by that. Personally, I will think three times from now on whether I write anything about AVG again. suisjebete.gif

Thank you for going to all this trouble to review AVG after I said it was missing on your list.  Your review is extensive, diligent and meticulous with the video, links and screen shots.  For somebody that hates the program, you sure have put in a great deal of dedicated work.

>  The research for this article was hell.
>  Personally, I will think three times from now on whether I write anything about AVG again.

You don't need to.  Even though I read your negatives about AVG, your review sold me.  I will download and install to see how it is.  At the moment, I'm running Malwarebytes version 1.75.  Despite the fact that you can get the latest definitions, I consider it too old and I need something that has more power.  I'll let you know how it installs and runs on XP 64-bit.

8 hours ago, WSC4 said:

Thank you for going to all this trouble to review AVG after I said it was missing on your list.  Your review is extensive, diligent and meticulous with the video, links and screen shots.  For somebody that hates the program, you sure have put in a great deal of dedicated work.

>  The research for this article was hell.
>  Personally, I will think three times from now on whether I write anything about AVG again.

You don't need to.  Even though I read your negatives about AVG, your review sold me.  I will download and install to see how it is.  At the moment, I'm running Malwarebytes version 1.75.  Despite the fact that you can get the latest definitions, I consider it too old and I need something that has more power.  I'll let you know how it installs and runs on XP 64-bit.

Thank you for your kind words! :) I always try to be as fair as possible when writing articles about security programmes. I always separate objective facts from my subjective experiences in my articles. I am curious to see how AVG Antivirus Free performs in your system. The main problem in writing the article about AVG was the unfortunate fact that there is hardly any information left about AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0, and the support is a joke. Since the company behind AVG is Avast, it refers to articles and information about Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.4084.0 in all support requests. Thus, there has been no real support or corresponding information for AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 for years. :no: Avast could actually have made this clear in general in support requests regarding AVG, but it did not. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I know I posted this before and it got deleted. Privacy was lost in antiviruses the day cloud scanning became a thing. Discussing which antiviruses are more private because this country or that country appeals more to you is pointless. All antiviruses are data collectors unless you can turn off cloud scanning. In most antiviruses these days it's not possible to do that. 

If we know all of them collect data all we can do is 2 things. Either don't use any antivirus or decide which country appeals more to your privacy tastes. In my case since I live in a US territory. If I have to give some of my data I rather give it to some country far way than to participate in my own countries data monitoring.

Remember covid ? In some US states, cellphones where tracked to see if people where staying at home. I don't know what's more totalitarian than that in a place of "democracy". I don't use a smartphone but if I have to give some data I rather give it to Russia.

In any rate, I still think that in an antivirus thread, all antiviruses from all countries should be listed. Pros and cons of each one so that people decide for themselves . And let the politics be discussed in a separate off-topic thread about politics.

Edited by tekkaman

12 minutes ago, tekkaman said:

I know I posted this before and it got deleted. Privacy was lost in antiviruses the day cloud scanning became a thing. Discussing which antiviruses are more private because this country or that country appeals more to you is pointless. All antiviruses are data collectors unless you can turn off cloud scanning. In most antiviruses these days it's not possible to do that. 

If we know all of them collect data all we can do is 2 things. Either don't use any antivirus or decide which country appeals more to your privacy tastes. In my case since I live in a US territory. If I have to give some of my data I rather give it to some country far way than to participate in my own countries data monitoring.

Remember covid ? In some US states, cellphones where tracked to see if people where staying at home. I don't know what's more totalitarian than that in a place of "democracy". I don't use a smartphone but if I have to give some data I rather give it to Russia.

In any rate, I still think that in an antivirus thread, all antiviruses from all countries should be listed. Pros and cons of each one so that people decide for themselves . And let the politics be discussed in a separate off-topic thread about politics.

Thank you.
:yes:

6 hours ago, tekkaman said:

Agreed!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

7 hours ago, tekkaman said:

Thank you very much, man! :worship:

Edited by mina7601

On 9/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, Dixel said:

Any, and by any I mean any, AV has a built-in self protection, self preservation mechanism from malicious attempts of breaking it, ...

That's right. A self-protection function of an antimalware programme is actually a good thing, but it can also cause problems. Especially if you uninstall it. I have experienced this several times. :yes:

In 2018, on my boss computer, he was running an old version of Avast that was unsupported. I don't remember if it was 5 or 6. I remember that when I removed it all hell broke lose and I had to reinstall Windows. Basically many programs just failed to start after removing Avast. I don't know if it was related to self protection or if it just removed some dotnet or visual C files.

Edited by tekkaman