Future Of Firefox Quantum On Windows 7

legacyfan

It is currently still trivial to revert the patch from (https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/f8db4b5e5d95) to the installer and then compile the installer using ./mach package from a Mozilla build environment (https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/setup/windows_build.html). I now have a working nightly installer again that works on Windows 7.

installer-patched.PNG

On 7/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, WalksInSilence said:

What is the situation in regard to Win7 and the Mozilla Thunderbird email client which shares features with FF? I've not read anything about that. 

Latest Thunderbird upgrade supports Windows 7:
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/releasenotes/

However, it seems version 116 beta will require Windows 10.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, Sergiaws said:

Chrome introduced a special javascript api to recognice the operating system used. Will it be added to FF?

I'm not aware. could you give a source? 

On 7/19/2023 at 6:25 AM, kibr said:

Excuse me, are you win32ss on github, can you tell me your email address

I have some questions about chromium and want to ask him, is there any way you can contact him for me

I am, but I haven't been able to respond because there was no home Internet access for a few days here.

3 hours ago, BW134 said:

Does it work on Windows 8.x with the CFF Explorer hack?

In theory, it doesn't need a hack to launch on win8. Try. For win7, I'm afraid this won't be enough just to patch it out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 2:35 AM, Dixel said:

In theory, it doesn't need a hack to launch on win8. Try. For win7, I'm afraid this won't be enough just to patch it out.

That means that just like windows xp cannot run firefox 54, windows 7 cannot run firefox 118?:unsure:

For me the problem is not one of whether Win7 will support the latest version of FF it is how long the FF versions it can run are viable for at least general browsing.

I still use a much earlier version for that purpose and another even earlier version which works for a WinXP VM on the same PC. But increasingly web page functionality, including posting here, does not work correctly. 

That is only going to get worse but if FF Quantum v115ESR follows a similar ageing pattern you're still going to be able to use it for a lot of online purposes, like browsing forums, 5+ years or more from now which means on any Windows version that can run it.   

Edited by WalksInSilence