My Browser Builds (Part 4)

21 minutes ago, Saphir said:
15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

yet another crash:

@roytam1Any site where it happens to report? Or under what circumstances happen that crashes? So far i do not experience any crashes here at all.

Yep, I would be interested in more details, too. AFAICS, the most recent version of New Moon doesn't crash in my Windows XP system, either. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, Saphir said:

@roytam1Any site where it happens to report? Or under what circumstances happen that crashes? So far i do not experience any crashes here at all.

It is hard to reproduce since it doesn't always crash when GC is doing its job.

Pale Moon 32.1.0 did crash two times on me, 32.1.1 hasn't crashed so far. If it's still the same bug...I definitely couldn't find a pattern to invoke the crash.

Edit: forgot to mention, it happened on exit, window was already closed, but the process was active, had most of memory allocated from before and consumed a small amount of CPU for a while before the crash.

Edited by UCyborg

Just writing in to say the latest Basilisk (Serpent) 52 build (2023-04-15) is still working absolutely fine for me, as is the latest NM28 build. Haven't had any recent crashes with either of them.
Thank you very much for all of your efforts...if I have anything interesting or useful to report, I'll try to share it! All the best to everybody!

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Pale Moon 32.1.0 did crash two times on me, 32.1.1 hasn't crashed so far. If it's still the same bug...I definitely couldn't find a pattern to invoke the crash.

Edit: forgot to mention, it happened on exit, window was already closed, but the process was active, had most of memory allocated from before and consumed a small amount of CPU for a while before the crash.

Ok! I totally forgot that. Same happened to me with the most recent New Moon some days ago but only once. Therefore, I did not pay any further attention to it.

10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Yes, seems to be a tricky issue only occurring under specific unknown circumstances.

yeah, crash in GC is hard to reproduce, and even harder when it is somewhat partly fixed.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:13 AM, roytam1 said:

dbsoft created PR for dynamic import as well.

But I don't think they will merge "in-time" for my weekly build, so there could be no UXP based builds this week.

and now they merged dbsoft's PR, but martok's is not yet.

I'll wait until martok's PR merged and maybe creating a "Labor Day" edition builds after that.

P.S.: with some preliminary tests, it seems that dynamic import is working, at least in Misskey instances UI. No it seems to be illusion, it throws `SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier` in moebius NOT in UXP and I can't figure what cause this.

and for now I'm porting them to moebius, which is time-consuming since I need to test-compile each rev to ensure it is at least buildable,

Edited by roytam1

On 3/12/2023 at 6:55 PM, VistaLover said:

What I still don't get (being a non-coder) is why disabling JS works around it

Finally found the answer: if JS is disabled, HTML within <noscript> tags is executed, and it's properly formatted for our browsers:

<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="https://support.microsoft.com/SocContent/css" /></noscript>
		<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="https://support.microsoft.com/SocContent/officeShared" /></noscript>
		<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="https://support.microsoft.com/SocContent/articleCss" /></noscript>

<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/TopNav/top-nav.css?v=y3fVhNR8laayLSfo-P3Q-CBl74RjRTQT6GeXgXCLJoc" /></noscript>

<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/MeControlCallout/teaching-callout.css?v=690pjf05o15fVEafEpUwgaF8vqVfOkp5wP1Jl9gE99U" /></noscript>
	<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/SearchBox/search-box.css?v=bybwzGBajHicVXspVs540UfV0swW0vCbOmBjBryj9N4" /></noscript>
	<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/sitewide/articleCss-overwrite.css?v=fnFBTMAbM2543ZbkNfpSyKgKIX54uJaVhbeyhZp8Uks" /></noscript>
	<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/glyphs/glyphs.css?v=0Hf7KD3KuarPGDf55g1ICt-VY442qRabqObuIoFb6Bo" /></noscript>

<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/promotionbanner/promotion-banner.css?v=cAmflE3c6Gw7niTOiMPEie9MY87yDE2mSl3DO7_jZRI" /></noscript>

<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/ArticleSupportBridge/article-support-bridge.css?v=R_P0TJvD9HoRHQBEdvBR1WhNn7dSbvOYWmVA9taxbpM" /></noscript>
	<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/StickyFeedback/sticky-feedback.css?v=weC9pd2Sy8mevUeLAfDK2H9-VuIOr3CQ8OeyytUpyO0" /></noscript>
	<noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/feedback/feedback.css?v=WbIIOpRmxm58LAO8kuENEUDlr_SNhBVl2chWF0yqRcY" /></noscript>

Of course disabling JS also disables most of the functionality of the page, so a better solution would be preferred. @UCyborg proposed a solution, but it requires Proxomitron, which in turn requires ProxHTTPSProxy - seems like overkill to me....

So how about using the "Modify HTTP Response" add-on? After considerable frustration, I finally managed to create a filter that seems to work:

image.thumb.png.f536126358c9a714781cec1c4521733f.png

On 4/30/2023 at 8:32 PM, roytam1 said:

and now they merged dbsoft's PR, but martok's is not yet.

I'll wait until martok's PR merged and maybe creating a "Labor Day" edition builds after that.

P.S.: with some preliminary tests, it seems that dynamic import is working, at least in Misskey instances UI. No it seems to be illusion, it throws `SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier` now.

and for now I'm porting them to moebius, which is time-consuming since I need to test-compile each rev to ensure it is at least buildable,

since martok created a PR for JavaScript Implement Class Fields & Logical Assignment Operators, I think I will wait for landing of it as well.

EDIT: tested his changes on my tree, it does fix "SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier" when loading dynamic-import contents in misskey, but misskey still complains about dynamic-importing.

and porting his changes doesn't fix "SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier" error in moebius and I don't know why.

Edited by roytam1

You may or may not remember when a few weeks back I posted about Youtube shorts not displaying properly, skipping to the next one or previous one (in my Serpent 52.9 on WinXP x86) - problem solved - I finally aligned my partitions (to 4k sectors) after so many years of neglect i suppose. Now they play well from one to the next with the same version of Serpent (2023-04-13).

23 hours ago, roytam1 said:

since martok created a PR for JavaScript Implement Class Fields & Logical Assignment Operators, I think I will wait for landing of it as well.

EDIT: tested his changes on my tree, it does fix "SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier" when loading dynamic-import contents in misskey, but misskey still complains about dynamic-importing.

and porting his changes doesn't fix "SyntaxError: await is a reserved identifier" error in moebius and I don't know why.

and it seems that newly imported dynamic import codes causing some problems (breaks videojs, and maybe others) on various sites, and I think I may want to defer it until they fixed at least videojs problem.

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

and it seems that newly imported dynamic import codes causing some problems (breaks videojs, and maybe others) on various sites, and I think I may want to defer it until they fixed at least videojs problem.

@roytam1

Franklin DM said the following:

".. or maybe VideoJS itself is broken? Only the first video (Disney's Oceans) in their examples page here appears to work fine regardless of the browser in use. The other example videos listed, as well as the one on their front page is broken even in latest Firefox, at least, on my end"