My Browser Builds (Part 4)

2 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Some also don't classify my i7-4770 to be "era-correct".

It was launched in 2013 and came with Win7 which was released in 2009.

Microsoft's own "downgrade rights" was still in effect as late as 2016 and perhaps even beyond.  So YES, my hardware is "era-correct" per Microsoft's own "downgrade rights" licensing!

But not "all" Win7 machines qualified for the FREE DOWNGRADE LICENSE (an UPGRADE to all of us that did it!).

And the "downgrade rights" was only eligible if Microsoft provided support for the version of Windows that you were "downgrading" to.  Extended support ended in 2014.  So again, YES, my hardware is "era-correct".

image.png.9d24e89ba62fb45c3e3bb024f8b1df0f.png

Which does kind of make me wonder if Win 10 Pro could legally downgrade TWICE - once to Win7 Pro, the second to XP x64?

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

15 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As a mathematician

Since you say this often, are we allowed to ask if a certified board of education labels you as this, or is it just something you label yourself as?  :dubbio:

edit - and to make it fair, I dropped out of college after TEN YEARS, did not complete an actual degree, but still LABEL myself as an ENGINEER (but so does the company I work for :cheerleader:).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

@NotHereToPlayGames
Yup, that's what I meant. None of the even remotely usable web browsers are built using Visual Studio 2010's toolchain, which was the last that worked on XP (and Vista) if I remember correctly. 360Chrome seems to be built using Visual Studio 2015's toolchain, as indicated by the LinkerVersion 14.0 in the Optional Header in 360chrome.exe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio#History). I suspect code changes would be needed for browsers to be even buildable on older toolchains and I doubt they'd be small ones. If I remember correctly, didn't roytam1 recently switch to 2019 toolchain? All these require Windows 7 as the minimum, which makes all of you indirectly dependent on Windows 7 (or newer), whether you care to admit it or not.

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

how many of you are real XP (or Vista) users anyway?

I am. I use XP almost exclusively. Like I said in previous posts, from time to time Windows 7 comes handy for some stuff when XP really gives me trouble. But I always come back to XP simply cause it's much more comfortable for me. I feel at home. I've tried Minios Windows 11 and this old PC runs it perfectly. That gives me the notion that I will be yet able to juggle ahead for some time. All software I use run very well in XP and get things done. Like other users said, newer versions of Windows are troublesome. For me, it's like Microsft finds a way to get annoying with each new version. Everything we love about one version, they take it away and make things difficult.

2 minutes ago, chermany4ever said:

I am. I use XP almost exclusively.

Us XP-users were just handed a new "definition".

By this new definition, if you run ANY software on your computer that the CREATOR of that software used Win7 or Win10 in order to CREATE, then we can no longer label ourselves as a "real" XP user.  :blink:

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Since you say this often, are we allowed to ask if a certified board of education labels you as this, or is it just something you label yourself as?  :dubbio:

I do not provide personal data in forums generally. So, you are allowed to ask whatever you want to in terms of the real person behind AstroSkipper. The answer is unfortunately no comment. Anonymity and data protection are valuable commodities, which should be cultivated, especially in this day and age. And the probability that this will change at some point approaches zero according to Cauchy's ε-δ-convergence criterion. Enough proof? :dubbio:
And I look something like this: einstein.gif :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

OT, good ol' joke about engineers and mathematicians (and physicists):

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are riding a train through Scotland.

The engineer looks out the window, sees a black sheep, and exclaims, "Hey! They've got black sheep in Scotland!"

The physicist looks out the window and corrects the engineer, "Strictly speaking, all we know is that there's at least one black sheep in Scotland."

The mathematician looks out the window and corrects the physicist, " Strictly speaking, all we know is that is that at least one side of one sheep is black in Scotland."

;)

jaclaz

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

My definition of real implied also using software built on XP. You're vegetarians at best, not vegans.

I think this definition is a bit hard, because software is usually built by the developer and he can chose to use newer/older windows or even cross compile from Linux or OS/2 or whatever. this does not mean the target OS is not really used. Newer MSVCs depend on newer Windows version but is not for real technical reasons but rather because of development cycles. MS has to drop old windows versions eventually, but keeping XP compatibility would not be a huge burden compared to creating new frameworks every two years. You can still use the latest GCC on Windows XP to this day and build C++23 programs.

The really hardcore definition would be to only use programs that you built yourself like on Gentoo Linux and the most hardcore definition would be to only use software that you wrote yourself (including the compiler).

I do agree with you that there is a purity loss but even VS2010 was probably built on Windows 7. So even like that would it count?

We always depend indirectly on the past as well. No compilers would run on XP if it were not for compilers on older Windows. so Any XP users depends on older Windows.

Also with this definition nobody is really using Windows 7 anymore because most programs are build on Windows 10/11. Soon none will be really using Win10 anymore as well.

don't get me wrong I do not really disagree with your definition, I just find it a bit hardcore.

Also I always felt Windows XP to be quite meaty so I do not feel vegetarian at all when using it, I feel carnivore...

10 minutes ago, chermany4ever said:

This is my hybrid Dodge 55. Look how beautiful and clean. I'm so happy, so proud. :wub:

XP55.jpg

Very beautiful! Off-topic, but is that FlyakiteOSX 3.5 you have installed by any chance?

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

But then again, how many of you are real XP (or Vista) users anyway?

I'd count myself in, since my browser binaries are aimed for my XP machines in the beginning.

11 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

is that FlyakiteOSX 3.5 you have installed by any chance?

Thanks! Yes, it is. I use the unattended version of XP called UE6 which is much lighter, trimmed down. It works very well. It's fast and doesn't take up any space. Heavily configured to emulate mac. I use many small programs for different aspects and functions. Obviously Flyakite had to be in the game. A must have.

Here is another sample. There is no way to achieve this wonder with any other modern version of windows, as far as I know.

Dibujo.jpg