My Browser Builds (Part 4)

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

my old work PC died this week

Hi Mathwiz, what happens when you press the power button? (Fan spinning sound? Shows something on monitor?)

We can continue in PM if you want.

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

Hi Mathwiz, what happens when you press the power button? (Fan spinning sound? Shows something on monitor?)

We can continue in PM if you want.

I really like it when you are ready to help people. It's a very great touch from you.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Shh...  Don't tell the local enforcers...

Well I crossed the red light few days back as the pedestrian when no car was around.

BTW, did you notice how sometimes people on this forum talk casually of using server operating systems for normal everyday tasks like it's nothing?

I used Server 2003 for several years.  I ran it as a media server that I could log into from work.  Whatever channel the TV was on was fed into a TV Tuner Card's A/V inputs and I could log into it from my office computer.

I couldn't change the TV channel from work, but I would literally watch my home cable TV from my office computer.

It sat in the corner of the closet like any "server" and more often that not didn't even have a monitor attached to it.

But since it was just a "home computer" on a home account, it would also email my work email its IP Addresss every morning so that I knew what address to log into.

Does that qualify as "normal everyday tasks"?

With the advent of BigInt support it is still not possible to log into a Fritz!Box, it still reports: TypeError: Promise.allSettled is not a function and fails to render the password field on the login screen.

fb_bad_52.jpg.77d6ea8eef24513828abbbd4be562756.jpg

fb_bad_console.jpg.c18ce54ec02d9d2b7091ce7da7b6d088.jpg

My current workaround is to use Mypal68 to talk to my Fritz!box when using XP.fb_good_68.jpg.1d9107cc0bbfb231fb2ce8ad0d32bd13.jpg

This suggests that there is some kind of edge case causing Promise.allSettled to fail but I'm all out of ideas as to how to debug it further.

Ben.

19 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

What if you change your fingerprint periodically: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-canvas-fingerprinting/?utm_source=addons.mozilla.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search

They can collect all the fingerprints they like, but they're quickly rendered useless.

CF makes a series of fingerprints, and canvas isn't the main. They look at CH, WebGl, , System Fonts, Clientrects, IP, device CPU cores count, RAM amount, audio API fingerprint, even if you change the canvas, the rest will stay the same.

16 hours ago, WSC4 said:

I am having problems logging into a banking site. The bank website:

https://banking.westpac.com.au/wbc/banking/handler?TAM_OP=login&segment=personal&logout=false

None of the (roytam1) browsers above could login. However, Firefox ESR 52.9.0 can login.

Hi @WSC4, welcome to the MSFN forums (the last "stronghold of XP-diehards" :P , as someone in another forum called it), best greetings to Oz :thumbup ...

In general, as posted already by another member, it's not a good idea to "try" financial services in "legacy" browser engines & OSes, because these institutions usually expect the "latest and greatest" in both departments (to generate a "sense" of security for their clients...); but we'll try to help, if we can; then, it's up to you to follow any offered workaround ;) ...

For starters, when I load the posted link in my FxESR 52 copy, I get a "warning" banner:

EOXlS9w.png

Since you wrote already that FxESR 52 "works" for you, I'm inclined to disregard this "update" warning :D ; however, following the "Learn more" link it contains will land one on:

https://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/online-banking/support-faqs/supported-browsers/

Reading that article immediately gives the impression it hasn't been updated (pun intended) for quite a while; Fx>=52 ? Chrome >=58? In the OS entries, no mention of Win8.1/10/11 (?); if it's minOS requirements, then it's obvious they don't support WinXP anymore (but you said FxESR 52 worked in your WinXP SP2 64-bit machine :dubbio:) ...

If we take that table "seriously", then UXP-based browsers (NM28, St52, etc.) have engines far superior to the one FxESR 52 has...

16 hours ago, WSC4 said:

I think I will choose New Moon 28 and I would like to get it to work

https://banking.westpac.com.au/wbc/banking/handler?TAM_OP=login&segment=personal&logout=false

When I hit enter after entering ID and password, the page just blinks and goes nowhere
With Firefox, it will go to another page which is correct. 

Any ideas please?

Based on my small analysis above, and without having any failure details from you (Web/Browser/Error Consoles of NM28), first thing I'd suggest is a SSUAO (site-specific-user-agent-override) on NM28 targeting that bank, in the hope they're simply rejecting NM28 based on its default user-agent string (a practice known as UA-sniffing) ... If you had been lurking here "silently" for more than a year, perhaps you're already familiar with the procedure; if not, then: 

1. In NM28, open a new tab and in the URLbar type about:config - press enter, and then press the "I promise to be careful! button"; you should now be inside the advanced preferences interface

2. Place your cursor inside the existing entries and right-click, invoking the context menu

3. from the CM entries, select New -> String

4. in the preference name field, enter 

general.useragent.override.westpac.com.au

and click OK

5. in the string value field (in the second pop-up), enter

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

and click OK

Done! You should now have created a new entry that looks as below:

psJQMDf.png

Restart your NM28 browser (just for good measure :whistle:), then try your "bank" site anew; this time, the bank's software will think you're visiting with Fx52 on Win8.1 ;) ...

Tell us how it went!

Cheers :) ...

14 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Did you try Serpent 52 or Serpent 55?

This is exactly where I was roughly 3 to 4 years ago.
I was using New Moon 27 and my Chase Credit Card would no longer work - I closed that account because I strongly disproved of a bank telling me what web browser to use!
But it didn't stop there.  Roughly 2 to 3 years ago, my Water Bill utility payment web site would no longer work - I was forced to change web browser because water and electric and gas are basically MONOPOLIES, I only have ONE company to pick from.
NONE of the web browsers in this thread would work - I was forced to drop Firefox-based browsers and use Chrome-based browsers instead.

It may be very likely that you simply cannot get NM28 to work and you may have to consider moving to Chrome-based, at least for that particular web site.

I managed to get this to work, and did have a similar problem over a year ago with another site called aomeitech.com.  Back then, I found the answer on the Pale Moon forum.  It was the User Agent Override string that fixed it in about:config

general.useragent.override

general.useragent.override.account

I constructed a new string with westpac.com as the domain name.

Before this, I did try Serpent 52 and 55 and they also did not work.

I am using XP Pro 64-bit for Firefox ESR 52.9.0.  However, this will not log into eBay and problems loading other sites.  So far so good with New Moon 28

New Moon.gif

New Moon 2.png

Edited by WSC4

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Does "Use another browser" count? :dubbio:

My screenshot was with a fresh NM28 32-bit profile (+uBO, of cource :P) on Vista SP2 32-bit, userscript manager being the "legacy" Greacemonkey for Pale Moon ...

Same "picture" in my "dirty" Serpent 52 profile, with the EoS Violentmonkey version (2.14.0) as my userscript manager :( ...

I don't have access currently to a Win7 SP1 64-bit machine, to try your Mozilla Firefox version (which one, exactly?) ; that laptop is on summer vacation, along with its owner :P  ...

Edited by VistaLover

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@WSC4 : Had you posted your last post some mere minutes earlier, it would have saved me (composing and) posting mine on that same subject :P ; in any case, I'm glad you got things sorted out on your own :thumbup ...

Regards :) ...

Hello VistaLover,

I thank you for your diligent and hard work on posting this.  And my sincere apologies for doubling up on the posts.  I was working off line with my reply to NotHereToPlayGames and constructing images as you did and the wording of it.  It was taking me a while and I had to search the Pale Moon forum for that post a year ago.  I wish I had known you were working hard on this and about to post your message.

I have studied your post twice and found it very interesting and helpful.

Once again, thanks very much for your help

Edited by WSC4