My Browser Builds (Part 4)

@roytam1 I want to thank you (once again) for maintaining NM28 for WinXP. Ever since I found out about and started using NM27 and later NM28, whenever I wanted to buy something online, I had to resort to my Android phone, because my bank website (extra security and high-tech features, of course) didn't work... until recently! Last week I found out, obviously because of lots of fixes, updates and maybe even hacks, my bank website did finally work after all this time. Much appreciated!

On 8/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Been blocking [CSS Animations] for years.  :thumbup

I've never messed with stuff like this, but my pc also gets nearly unresponsive for sites like reddit, or (from the top of my head) instagram and pinterest. So how do I go about this? Do I need an add-on for this?

Mozilla browsers have a global userstyle capability, or they at least used to.  Unsure if NM28 has a global userstyle or not.  I prefer the addon route (Stylish, Stylem, Stylus).

I don't use the latest-and-greatest though and I don't recall from memory, but one of them was forked due to privacy rights concerns with the original.

44 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/animation

Opening this page in official Pale Moon, not scrolling anywhere, 33% GPU usage. Firefox is at 3%. Will need new gaming PC to run Pale Moon before I'll need it for next-gen triple-A game title. :cool:

Fortunately, this page didn't raise CPU usage to 100% when I visited it on St52 and St55.

11 hours ago, Reino said:

but my PC also gets nearly unresponsive for sites like reddit, or (from the top of my head) instagram and pinterest.
(...) Do I need an add-on for this?

Hi :) ; most sadly, since some years ago, the web isn't designed for "faint-at-heart" (i.e. "legacy"/under-resourced) H/W, and the social media sites (like the ones you referenced) are spearheading this "trend" :realmad: ; it isn't only CSS-related issues (like the one discussed recently here) that heavily tax old H/W, it's the rampant use of heavy scripting, often times unnecessarily :angry: , use of blobs of JS many MiBs in size just to render a table of text, use of WASM, the notion of "treating" a browser like an all-purpose media player (lots of embedded HD still and moving pictures, full HD video) and the quick adoption of features compatible only with the recent versions of Chrome(+Edge+Safari)/Firefox ... 

The UXP-based browsers (one of which is NM28) can't fully cope with "that" web, especially on "era-incorrect" H/W :(; use of, first of all, a competent adblocker (or even script blocker) will block several of the scripting (tracking/mining/statistics/advertising) not really required for correct page rendering; if you want to mess with CSS, you need a Style Manager (like Stylem that NHTPG recommended), into which you have to "install" userstyles savvy members of the community/coders author to tackle several issues in sites; if you want to mess with JS, then you need a Userscript Manager (like the one your compatriot, nicolaasjan :P , recommended) and, again, "install" userscripts (custom JS and/or CSS code that aims to modify the default code pages serve) found on-line (e.g. on Greasy Fork); unless you want to learn to author Userstyles/Userscripts yourself, there's only a very small learning curve associated with the use of those extensions (Stylem, GMFPM, etc.) ;) ...

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Mozilla browsers have a global userstyle capability, or they at least used to. 
Unsure if NM28 has a global userstyle or not. 

Not 100% sure if that's what you meant :dubbio:, but indeed UXP-based browsers have a setting to turn OFF/ON all page styling :

mPPQVAB.png

Kind regards.

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Opening this page in official Pale Moon, not scrolling anywhere, 33% GPU usage.

In my 2008-era, Vista SP2 (32-bit) laptop, integrated GPU, mostly everything is offloaded to the CPU :realmad: when on St52; see below...

54 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Fortunately, this page didn't raise CPU usage to 100% when I visited it on St52

... I should be so lucky :(:

nUGTKhD.png

I expect Vista to be the worst performer in these cases:

GDI is hardware accelerated on Windows XP, and accelerated on Windows 7 when the Desktop Window Manager is running and a WDDM 1.1 driver is in use. Direct2D is hardware accelerated on almost any WDDM driver and whether or not DWM is in use. On Vista, GDI will always render on the CPU.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct2d/comparing-direct2d-and-gdi

Edited by UCyborg

13 hours ago, UCyborg said:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/animation

Opening this page in official Pale Moon, not scrolling anywhere, 33% GPU usage. Firefox is at 3%. Will need new gaming PC to run Pale Moon before I'll need it for next-gen triple-A game title. :cool:

Firefox 58 - 91 or MyPal 68 used OMTP https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/off-main-thread-painting/

layers.omtp.enabled

Firefox 92+ used Webrender

Right, regarding GPU usage/load %, it's important to note that percentage "cover" the current clock speed, so in my case that 33% actually covered 135 MHz. 33% of 1033 MHz would be more bizarre.