My Browser Builds (Part 4)

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

:worship: :thumbup :wub: ! However, as the people in the UK say: "The proof is in the pudding" :), so I'll be waiting for next St52 builds (Sat 25/03/2023 ?) with bated breath (I'm a Southern-European close to the Mediterranean Sea, patience is not a true virtue of mine ;) ) ...

actually I tried to dig bugzilla (right now, using some non-productive time) and found upstream's upstream (i.e. mozilla) did the same thing:

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/89c8025537a5

BTW I can't install user script with VM, getting "Error: Type error for parameter createProperties (Property "openerTabId" is unsupported by Firefox) for tabs.create."

Edited by roytam1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:28 PM, Mathwiz said:

Chase.com made a change a couple of weeks ago, after which I could no longer sign in. (It prompts for my user ID and password as always, but when I sign in, I now get the unhelpful message "It looks like this part of our site isn't working right now." I've had to switch to 360EE or MiniBrowser (both Chromium builds) to use Chase.com.

And after two more weeks, I can sign in again with St 55. Although (as with Google Translate) I don't know if a recent Serpent update is responsible for the fix, or if Chase updated their Javascript. Most likely the former, but I'm too lazy to fire up an old Serpent version just to find out!

BTW, as I mentioned on Humming Owl's thread, Chase is upping their minimum browser requirements soon (to FF 98 and presumably a similar Cr version), so soon this breakthrough may be for naught. If they spring a ??=  or &&= on us, it's back to MiniBrowser; if it's something even newer I may have to give up on XP-compatible browsers entirely and just move to Win 7. Then we'll see how long we can make that OS last....

25 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

I can't install user script with VM, getting "Error: Type error for parameter createProperties (Property "openerTabId" is unsupported by Firefox) for tabs.create."

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I had to roll back to VM v2.13.2 to complete that step.

V2.13.2 is about 4 pages back from the most recent versions on GitHub.

Once you get it installed you can update to 2.14, although @VistaLover experienced the crash even with 2.13.2.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... Thanks, but over here, you're mostly preaching to an XP/Vista 32-bit congregation :D ...

All the shinchiro compiled MPV (32-bit) builds target Win7SP1 as minimum OS requirement :realmad: - you'll have to travel into the past to find the Vista EoS build, which was "mpv-0.32.0-157-git-20200223-g57ecfb4-i686_20200223" (from 37 months ago :angry: ); you'd have to travel way further back to find an XP-compatible MPV build (I don't remember off-hand, but the XP-users know it; from the 2015 era?) ...

As for yt-dlp, Vista SP2 32-bit is still officially supported for a few more months (or until CPython 3.7 becomes EoL), however XP is not; thanks to co-member @nicolaasjan, XP-compatible yt-dlp builds (be-it third party) are being currently offered :thumbup (just look at his MSFN signature ;) ) ...

Yeah, it's kinda sucks eventhough XP is still a great OS, just with some minimal updates from MS and it'll likely be as good as 7 or 10, the biggest problem that most of us have clearly known is the software compatibility issues that may slowly kill our patience.

On the bright side, 2015 MPV is still pretty usable and yt-dlp is still available for XP.

Edited by OutlawHusbando

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

BTW I can't install user script with VM, getting
"Error: Type error for parameter createProperties (Property "openerTabId" is unsupported by Firefox) for tabs.create."

... It's because of what I hinted previously:

On 3/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, VistaLover said:

the extension works as expected in Fx52+, but has some quirks in St52, due to MCP's faulty implementation of the abortController API

Two ways to tackle this:

1. In "about:config", toggle "dom.abortController.enabled" to false, restart Serpent 52 and then installing the userscript from that GH page will work (just tested it now :P); but the abort API is still needed by GitHub to properly function, so, after installing the userscript, reset the pref and, again, restart St52...

2. "Patch" the actual extension in below fashion:

"./background/index.js" (a minified JS file):

-!(!e.AbortSignal||!browser.windows)
+(!!e.AbortSignal&&!browser.windows)

Again, VM-2.14.0 works as expected in actual FxESR 52.9.x (it doesn't have itself the abort API), the breakage in St52 is due to MCP's (imperfect) abort API implementation inside UXP :( (FTR, VM's devs are almost oblivious to St52's existence ;) ...).

Edited by VistaLover

2 hours ago, OutlawHusbando said:

Yeah, it's kinda sucks eventhough XP is still a great OS, just with some minimal updates from MS and it'll likely be as good as 7 or 10, the biggest problem that most of us have clearly known is the software compatibility issues that may slowly kill our patience.

On the bright side, 2015 MPV is still pretty usable and yt-dlp is still available for XP.

Absolutely...anything that benefits XP users is something to be grateful for.
For my part I've actually taken a liking to Vista lately. A lot of people tend to think of it as a prototype 7 (which it is), but I see it more as a supercharged XP...better compatibility with modern software and a more powerful kernel, while still retaining many of the little XP 'quirks' that I love.
It is the final version of Windows that can truly be made to feel like XP in its day-to-day functionality. While 7 does improve upon Vista in meaningful ways, it also took out many things from Vista that I personally like (including the 'true' 9x Classic theme [as opposed to the 2000/ME-style theme] and the Classic Start menu). Not all of the Classic functionality can be fully restored with 3rd party software, though I commend all who are making programs for that purpose.
I'll never sway someone against using XP...it is still a fantastic OS & my go-to OS of choice for single-cores and less than 2GB of RAM. If you have a powerful enough PC, Vista can definitely still rock the house. A fully-updated Vista SP2 installation is as stable as it gets, and very hard to crash. (It's also incredibly beautiful--I smile every time I see the Vista logout screen fade to black during shutdown or restart, rather than just cutting to black. Over 15 years later, Vista still outdoes the most popular OSes of today in its aesthetics.)

21 minutes ago, cmccaff1 said:

Absolutely...anything that benefits XP users is something to be grateful for.
For my part I've actually taken a liking to Vista lately. A lot of people tend to think of it as a prototype 7 (which it is), but I see it more as a supercharged XP...better compatibility with modern software and a more powerful kernel, while still retaining many of the little XP 'quirks' that I love.
It is the final version of Windows that can truly be made to feel like XP in its day-to-day functionality. While 7 does improve upon Vista in meaningful ways, it also took out many things from Vista that I personally like (including the 'true' 9x Classic theme [as opposed to the 2000/ME-style theme] and the Classic Start menu). Not all of the Classic functionality can be fully restored with 3rd party software, though I commend all who are making programs for that purpose.
I'll never sway someone against using XP...it is still a fantastic OS & my go-to OS of choice for single-cores and less than 2GB of RAM. If you have a powerful enough PC, Vista can definitely still rock the house. A fully-updated Vista SP2 installation is as stable as it gets, and very hard to crash. (It's also incredibly beautiful--I smile every time I see the Vista logout screen fade to black during shutdown or restart, rather than just cutting to black. Over 15 years later, Vista still outdoes the most popular OSes of today in its aesthetics.)

XP is one kind of lovely Operation System, some people even created a XP mod of Windows 10, and it looks exactly like XP, even using some XP old applications: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlACU88Z30

I'm still using XP as the primary OS of my 2nd PC, sadly it's impossible to use only XP nowadays for me to do my job, which is coding and coding with Python, and newer Python version is required to run many useful libraries.

4 hours ago, OutlawHusbando said:

I'm still using XP as the primary OS of my 2nd PC, sadly it's impossible to use only XP nowadays for me to do my job, which is coding and coding with Python, and newer Python version is required to run many useful libraries.

It seems newer versions of Python (than what XP can run) are able to run natively in Vista…some of them still seem to be getting security updates. For example, Python 3.8.10 was the last release of the 3.8 line with binary installers, and can be updated until October 2024. It appears support was cut off with 3.9 but could possibly be restored with the Extended Kernel (I’d be careful with it, though).

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3810/

Edited by cmccaff1

10 hours ago, cmccaff1 said:

It is the final version of Windows that can truly be made to feel like XP in its day-to-day functionality. While 7 does improve upon Vista in meaningful ways, it also took out many things from Vista that I personally like (including the 'true' 9x Classic theme [as opposed to the 2000/ME-style theme] and the Classic Start menu).

Also, don't forget these things as well: Having Quick Launch toolbar by default, and the old show hidden tray icons button functionality, and also, the spacing between tray icons.

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't know if a recent Serpent update is responsible for the fix, or if Chase updated their Javascript. Most likely the former,

... Probably enabling the (mostly "fixed" ;)) native WC+SR support in St52 (and backported to St55) is what allowed you to sign-in suuccessfully to Chase.com using St55...

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Chase is upping their minimum browser requirements soon (to FF 98 and presumably a similar Cr version), so soon this breakthrough may be for naught.

Fx 98 and Chrome 95, actually :angry: ... Latest St52 comes with a built-in SSUAO for chase.com:

general.useragent.override.chase.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:79.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/79.0

I'd suggest changing it to

general.useragent.override.chase.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0

where 102.0 is current FxESR and chase.com don't allow anything older than Win7 :angry: ... Should at least rid you of the "Please update your browser" ribbons, until the "real" breakage takes place...

(FWIW, their sign-in page is served from "secureXXea.chase.com", but the SSUAO takes care of that, too...)

Edited by VistaLover

... While following the link posted by @gerwin above, I ended up loading below article:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7/

I was (and still am now) on latest Serpent 52.9.0, but, to my dismay :angry:, I regrettably found out that images in this article aren't being displayed AT ALL in St52 :( ; I had to launch a Chromium variant (360EEv12) to be able to see the images, which constitute an important part of the article...

Is this a known "Google-ism" that UXP currently lacks? St52's Web Console has a "ReferenceError" and a "SyntaxError" in red lines: 

ReferenceError: event is not defined[Learn More]  
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7:167:213

SyntaxError: bad method definition  
https://www.winhelponline.com/detroitchicago/cmbv2.js:197:336

"Fixes" are gladly welcome ;) ...

On 3/19/2023 at 2:50 AM, VistaLover said:

... Why not document those modifications in your GitHub palefill fork :whistle:?

I lost track as I edit that thing as it comes and haven't decided on which Git distribution I should settle ever since I've settled on my daily-driver OS, which is Win10 20H2...should I use the official one or the one that comes with MinGW environment or something else...so ended up installing none as I don't install anything I'm not sure I want to keep installed to keep the OS install clutter-free...and inside my head is also a mess...

ReferenceError: event is not defined[Learn More]  
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-explorer-windows-7:167:213

No idea...

SyntaxError: bad method definition  
https://www.winhelponline.com/detroitchicago/cmbv2.js:197:336

Uses 2 invalid class definitions as far as UXP is concerned, UXP doesn't allow variables and such declarations outside of class constructor.

palefill-1.26.1.xpi fixes it, makes pictures appear.

10 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

should I use the official one or the one that comes with MinGW environment or something else.

... AFAIAA, you need install neither (for simple tasks), because, if you're on a very recent and powerful browser (e.g. ChrEdge x64), you can do most GitHub stuff on-line, via their native on-line File Editor - also, you can try their "New Code Search and Code View" feature:

DJzLpY4.png

(not 100% compatible with latest UXP, but mostly works ;) ), which can also take you to their "new", powerful, repo managing tool (aka "Web Editor") served from "github.dev" (this is NOT compatible with UXP, as it uses the "??=" operator :realmad: ):

https://github.dev/UCyborg/palefill/blob/master/bootstrap.js

7wDbizl.png

35 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

palefill-1.26.1.xpi fixes it, makes pictures appear.

Today Pale Moon team release v32.1.0 (2023-03-21)  http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

They claim that:

This is another major update with important compatibility improvements for the web. Most notably, our implementation of Google WebComponents is now at a state where we enabled them by default.

So my question is - when this thing will be in New Moon? I really want to  see New Moon with Google WebComponents.