My Browser Builds (Part 4)

The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20230121 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20230121 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20230121 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20230121 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20230121 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20230121 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20230121 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20230121 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20230121 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

17 hours ago, soggi said:

The mirror of latest ArcticFox 40, BNavigator 0.9, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe 52, IceDove 52, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28, RetroZilla, RZ browser and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20230121 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20230121 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20230121 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20230121 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20230121 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20230121 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20230121 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20230121 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20230121 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

Thanx :)

4 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Must revisit ReactOS

Last time I used ReactOS, it was still unstable (but still a good and fun OS to play with). It's still in the Alpha branch and I am surprised it didn't even reach Beta branch yet.

Edited by mina7601

3 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Last time I used ReactOS, it was still unstable (but still a good and fun OS to play with). It's still in the Alpha branch and I am surprised it didn't even reach Beta branch yet.

Yes I use the live DVD option as I'm just burning DVDs to get rid of them. Thank you and will report on XP forums.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/why-do-you-use-windows-xp.934649/page-2#post-3269191

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/project-for-windows.934647/#post-3268795

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/confirmed-microsoft-into-numerology.932088/#post-3268867

On 1/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, VistaLover said:

I bumped on another online dictionary service,

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/

that also blocks UXP-based browsers:

Today, a third in a row such service "blocks" my St52 user-agent :realmad: :

https://www.babla.gr/

As in the previously reported two cases, it's the "Goanna/*" UA-slice they're blocking... And, this one too, appears to be a CloudFlare-managed site

The site serves its CSS files from a "bab.la" domain, so to get the site fully functional in St52, I had to set two SSUAOs

Rather than setting an increasingly long list of SSUAOs to deal with what is likely to be an ever-expanding problem, would it make more sense to set a general UAO omitting Goanna/*, then set SSUAOs only on sites that do require (or at least, work better with) it in the user agent string?

For that matter, are there any such sites? Perhaps on the modern Web, the Goanna/* slice is best left out of user agent strings completely.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:09 PM, johk said:

I feel dumb asking this, but with the amount of browsers builds... I lost the track...

Which is the browser, with the most most "up-to-date"/compatible engine with sites, and that has support, or is compatible, with Windows SP2 (aka Service Pack 2)?

The point is that since long ago I use NewMoon 28... but I don't see updates to the engine with always the same messages at the blog:

"No official Pale-Moon changes picked since my last build.

No official Basilisk changes picked since my last build."

So... that's it, which is the latest browser for XP SP2?

Not dumb; maybe confused a bit.

First that last part: the "No official * changes picked since my last build" refers to changes to only Pale Moon or Basilisk. Changes made to both browsers are likely to be changes to the UXP platform that is common to both. There have been many important changes to UXP, but few specifically to just Pale Moon or to just Basilisk.

Unfortunately I don't know which versions of New Moon 28, if any, are compatible with SP2 of Windows XP. Perhaps @roytam1 can answer that, or you could try a "binary search:" go to http://o.rthost.win/palemoon/, download the latest NM 28, see if it works; if not, download the version halfway between the version you're using and the latest, see if it works; then depending on whether it works or not, move forward or backward halfway through the remaining list until you find the last version that works with SP2.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:49 PM, roytam1 said:

Off-topic: while testing my GreenPad on ReactOS, I found some bugs and fixed some of them. And ReactOS twitter account mentioned me. :)

Great!

BTW once I followed you on Twitter but there was tooooo much anime stuff, so I unfollowed. :rolleyes:

On 1/21/2023 at 11:48 PM, XPerceniol said:

Thanx :)

Not for that, I'm glad to be a part of the (re)distribution of @roytam1's builds! :)

On 1/22/2023 at 5:01 AM, Mathwiz said:

Unfortunately I don't know which versions of New Moon 28, if any, are compatible with SP2 of Windows XP. Perhaps @roytam1 can answer that, or you could try a "binary search:" go to http://o.rthost.win/palemoon/, download the latest NM 28, see if it works; if not, download the version halfway between the version you're using and the latest, see if it works; then depending on whether it works or not, move forward or backward halfway through the remaining list until you find the last version that works with SP2.

All the browsers, e-mail clients and suites (except the x64 versions) should work flawlessly on WinXP SP2 - you (@johk) just have to have an eye on which SIMD extensions are required (non/SSE/SSE2)...aaaand if the CPU is supported in general (have a look at the FAQ, with a 686 [Intel Pentium Pro and AMD Athlon/Duron and higher] you should be safe). NM28 and Serpent 52 (maybe 55) should be the most compatible browsers, if I remember correctly.

kind regards
soggi

Edited by soggi

7 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Rather than setting an increasingly long list of SSUAOs to deal with what is likely to be an ever-expanding problem, would it make more sense to set a general UAO omitting Goanna/*, then set SSUAOs only on sites that do require (or at least, work better with) it in the user agent string?

For a long time now I've used this as my default User Agent...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/109.0

(where I keep the FF version number inline with the latest FF release)

I feel this helps more than it hinders with compatibility – rarely I use a more specific UA for a website that is capable of being backwards compatible with older browsers. I also feel that this makes my browser appear less unusual. I don't think it is a good idea to advertise that I'm using either XP or an older browser on the internet.

I also occasionally use this...

Mozilla/5.0 Windows 

This sometimes seems to negate any website 'decisions' based on UA and instead gives something more generic (and therefore compatible).

Ben.

9 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Right! From a mathematical point of view, the most efficient way to quickly get to the version of New Moon 28 that is compatible with Windows XP SP2. d010.gif

2 hours ago, grey_rat said:

webextensions.storage.sync.enabled function does not work in Basilisk/Serpent

In FF52 "SponsorBlock" v 5.1.8 work if webextensions.storage.sync.enabled true

Official Basilisk
1) does not support WebExtensions
2) Uses Pale Moon "sync", which has zero provision for WEs, as they've never been supported there ;) ...

The St52 fork has kept a good degree (still inferior to Fx52esr's) of WE-support (hence "webextensions.*" prefs), however it has inherited PM Sync from upstream Bk... Fx52esr, OTOH, is still (!) able to connect to Mozilla Firefox Sync service, so there's no parity between WE-sync in St52 and Fx52esr...

What really begs the question here is why would SponsorBlock-5.1.8 require that pref to be set to true, if the user has no intention of syncing this WE across other devices... FWIW, AMO carries an updated version 5.1.11, advertised to be compatible with Fx48+ (but I rarely trust AMO when it comes to backwards compatibility :( ; they usually only check on the latest ESR and Release versions :realmad: ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

12 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

What really begs the question here is why would SponsorBlock-5.1.8 require that pref to be set to true, if the user has no intention of syncing this WE across other devices... FWIW, AMO carries an updated version 5.1.11, advertised to be compatible with Fx48+ (but I rarely trust AMO when it comes to backwards compatibility :( ; they usually only check on the latest ESR and Release versions :realmad: ) ...

5.1.10 and 5.1.11 not work

P.S. A user script was found https://github.com/ajayyy/SponsorBlock/wiki/3rd-Party-Ports

userscript https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mchangrh/sb.js/main/docs/sb.user.js

(no work in mobile youtube and native browser player, work only desktop youtube and youtube player)

Edited by grey_rat