My Browser Builds (Part 3)

34 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

There is.  It's called "The Toe Bin". 

I read this PNG on https://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/83392538

Wow. Just wow. Tobin have actually lost his mind. He live now in alternative reality. JustOff now, according to Tobin, is "black hat hacker". And New Moon for XP is like "terrorism" and "9\11". WOW!!! Holy fridge! Lunacy!

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

They don't think too highly of Tobin :--). I had to laugh at some of his posts, he bullies constantly then someone said something nasty back and he acted like an innocent victim. There must be a psychological term for that. Whatever his skills in coding he would drag any organization down as a pr nightmare just as he's doing to pale moon.

Ah, I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation. This is like anuddah 9/11, according to Tobin. 

12 minutes ago, sparty411 said:

Ah, I don't think you appreciate the gravity of the situation. This is like anuddah 9/11, according to Tobin. 

It's an insurrection, apocalypse and armageddon all rolled up into one, we're doomed. The only way to save ourselves is to stop to those Russian forks.  

33 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

Wow. Just wow. Tobin have actually lost his mind. He live now in alternative reality. JustOff now, according to Tobin, is "black hat hacker". And New Moon for XP is like "terrorism" and "9\11". WOW!!! Holy fridge! Lunacy!

Yes, it would be enlightening for him to witness a real terrorist attack...

Also, in my opinion, he has a narcissistic personality disorder.

If the Pale Moon team allows him to go on like this, I fear that even the few people that still use this browser will leave.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:16 AM, DanR20 said:

Is anyone having problems on Twitter with the volume slider and UXP 52 and 55? It seems to have just started but it will no longer pop up to adjust the volume. Still working in the newer firefox versions.

I don't know why the slider isn't being shown, but you should still be able to use it even though you can't see it. Click on the volume control icon, keep the mouse on top of it, and use up/down arrow keys on the keyboard to control the volume. Works for me, at least. Maybe I'll investigate this further if I have time, but no promises since the workaround is easy enough.

Also, :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown to this latest Moonchild nonsense. I would really like to hope that this is just a knee-jerk reaction and they'll eventually come to their senses, but at this point that hope is pretty slim...

Edited by mixit

8 minutes ago, mixit said:

IClick on the volume control icon, keep the mouse on top of it, and use up/down arrow keys on the keyboard to control the volume.

Thank-you, that is at least a good enough workaround. Twitter must have made a recent change to their page because it's happening in v55 as well, even in the older versions.

3 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

If the Pale Moon team allows him to go on like this, I fear that even the few people that still use this browser will leave.

The Pale Moon team agrees with him and is okay with him being "the collective voice" or he would have been removed from the team years ago, it's not like this is "new" behavior, the environment has been "toxic" since 2017 in some circles, 2018 in others.  The trailing 12 months have been BRUTALLY TOXIC.

I prefer not to take sides, to be honest, but one thing that I don't technically understand or know the history of is "how" we ended up with a "BNavigator" by Roytam 'based on' a Binary Outcast project that to the best of my knowledge IS STILL NOT PUBLIC  :dubbio:

I do, admittedly, feel like maybe, just maybe, that Roytam kinda steamrolled Binary Outcast and stole his thunder.

I realize that "stole" is not the right word here.

I use Roytam's "BNavigator" and I keep my eye out for Binary Outcast's website to have a download link, I often wonder if Binary Outcast abandoned the project "because of" Roytam's "BNavigator".

If so, I find that just as troublesome as Tobin (and Crew) pulling the plug on Mypal  :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, mixit said:

I would really like to hope that this is just a knee-jerk reaction and they'll eventually come to their senses, but at this point that hope is pretty slim...

It's not a knee-jerk reaction.  This has been brewing since 2017.

I fully support Roytam and hope that Feodor2 hasn't succombed to some form of "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate".

But at the same time, despite likely being in the minority here, I also fully support Moonchild Productions remaining a viable browser alternative "for the masses" (XP is not "for the masses", despite my prejudice towards XP Forever!).

@ArcticFoxie

If they keep wasting so much energy and time on posturing and other nonsense instead of spending it on browser development, remaining viable will definitely be a problem (even if we discount the negative PR). Blaming others for causing this waste doesn't make it any less of a waste. I'd be surprised if they got a lot of development done over these past few weeks, meanwhile the majors keep plowing ahead. Like I've said before, as a downstream user I'd very much like to fully support them, but they sure make it as difficult as humanly possible... :thumbdown

I haven't paid much attention to the tale of BNavigator, but I don't really see how @roytam1 could have stolen Tobin's thunder by doing builds of his pre-release software. AFAIK he hasn't been claiming that he's the author of the software or targeting the same user segment. Personally, I'd take it as free preview advertising. I'm not sure you can call dibs on open source software while procrastinating with your release for many years, not after you've made the source public in the first place.

As for @feodor2, don't worry about him losing all hope. He's apparently trying his hand on post-Quantum Firefox now, so at least in theory this may yet work out for the best as far as us XP fans are concerned. :whistle: As much as I like XUL, having a working browser is more important, and I'm not keen on any Chrome (despite you guys doing very hice work on cleaning up 360 :worship:).

Edited by mixit

11 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

I read this PNG on https://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/83392538

there is no any war between "evil xp users who steal code" and "honest caring Moonchild(ish) devs" there is just Tobin with his paranoia thinking everyone are against him. Palemoon has turned into a cult that attack against anyone who even raises finger against them, question anything they do or even as simple as working to improve their code and haunt them forever.

And do not get me wrong. Palemoon code itself been most part very solid and in my opinion what web browser should be, not like bloat I mean firefox is. It is also last that supports java and flash that I need use sometimes to access older network equipment or other.

Many say it is bad since "uses old render engine, got security vurneabilities, does not work with Netflix, or cannot be used with online im clients to voice". There is simple reasons why voice wont work and Netflix wont either, it lacks EME DRM antifeature support and webrtc which are privacy and security risk. And for security, any browser got vurneabilities and most are related to webassembly and javascript and cannot be patched so only way protect is limit allowed javascript to minium with Nmatrix or similar. Render engine is old and slow is because HTML5 and javascript that been built around google chrome for most parts. It is done on purpose to make chromium look better. It is like Internet Exploiter back in day.

If web browser was what they were just program that downloads documents from online and renders them on screen like originally intended for, only slowness reason would be bad optimisation of code on browser itself. HTML stands for The HyperText Markup Language and HTTP for HyperText Transfer Protocol and that is what it purpose was originally. I am not saying there cannot be pictures or media, but Media and anything else should be handled by standardised plugins and used only if absolutely neccessary. That way anyone could do a browser themself and we would have real competition. But big companies abuses web standards and do not want competition. It is sad to see internet go way it was never meant in first place. To centralised place with only few giants.

Well enough ranting from issues of internet and modern browsers

If I was developer of browser or other, I would be happy if someone was able port it to platform I was unable to (I guess first need have real not artificial block of compability) and would adopt it to mainstream some point or build special version with fixes to it, not haunt developer down, but I guess I am open minded and not part of any production with word child in it:w00t:. Developer behavior causes peoples not to like project no matter how good and reliable the code is, since human tends to hate things if person that they do like is involved. That causes Palemoon to loose users and eventually die away totally.  Stop while you still can Moonchild(ish) and issue public apology from hostile behavior toward peoples and there is hope for project to become popular. Also if they hide source code stop recommending using of their products since "spyware concern" since without source code cannot evaluate for spyware and other issues. Word like that is going cause lot backslash to devs, escapilly on linux community.

I am happy from efforts of Feodor2 and Roytam1 and anyone else who makes softwares for XP users. For long time I though was last person on earth who did not want get "latest and (not) greatest" Windows and wanted choice of OS to be thing. FF52 started suck real bad on many sites I needed use daily wanted or not, then stumbled this board and projects done here and was able to use OS I wanted better than ever before and share my knowledge with others who may need it. I may not be programmer but I got good technical knowledge.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000