My Browser Builds (Part 3)

@basilisk-dev wrote:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=231654#p231654

Classic Theme Restorer works with Basilisk as well. You need to disable the "Add-On lists: show add-on version" option if you decide to use Classic Theme Restorer, as it breaks the add-ons manager.

... Actually, there's a "special" ;) version of CTR that Basilisk/Serpent 52.9.0 users should install: 

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/releases/tag/1.7.8.2019

Specifically, "latest" version CTR_v1.7.8.2019.10.27.xpi :P

Related CTR issue:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/issues/402

OTOH, Serpent 55.0.0 users can install the EoS version, CTR_v1.7.8 :)

(Posted in the spirit of mutual gains between the official Bk and St52 communities! :yes: )

On 8/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, VistaLover said:

https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases

From my initial testing, implementing support [for www.ING.de] would be as easy as adding in file "./lib/builtin-rules.js" below code:

exports = String.raw`
+www.ing.de
+    std-customElements
+! --
 developer.apple.com
     std-customElements

As you may know, Martok has just released Palefill 1.20. Since he has unfortunately declined to update Palefill to support www.ING.de, users of that web site will have to follow the above instructions themselves (do not key in the +'s; those merely indicate added lines) in order to use www.ING.de with Palefill 1.20 or subsequent releases.

Oh, and by the way, GitHub is partially broken again with Palefill 1.19 or 1.20, at least when force-installed in Serpent 55. (Edit: Palefill 1.20 does seem to be doing the job in IceApe, so this must be an incompatibility between Palefill and St 55. GitLab is still working fine in St 55 though, so Palefill must be doing something right!) I swear, Micro$oft must require its GitHub developers to shoehorn in at least one use of every newly-announced Javascript feature, so that something on GitHub will break every time Google thinks up anything new! Luckily, downloading new releases still works (for now).

Edited by Mathwiz

I just learned a new trick

I've been using the "Open With" extension for some time to simplify my Web browsing in Serpent. I normally use a profile with multiprocess mode enabled, but when I come across a link that requires a polyfill (such as GitHub, GitLab, etc.), I need to open a new browser window using my single-process mode profile. So I set up Open With to give me a menu option to do that.

But there was a restriction. I always wanted the ability to run Serpent 55 from Serpent 52 or vice versa; but if I tried, even though I specified the correct path to the "other" Serpent, it would always open up the version I was running again. Weird.

Well, I just found a workaround. Unfortunately it only works on 64-bit OSes, but it turns out that, if I'm running, say, 32-bit St 55, I can open 64-bit St 52! I just have to specify the path to the 64-bit version in Open With. Example entry:

image.png.f39d254f3828a3fe9233e6e1d72a3e44.png

(They are truncated a bit in the above snip; the end of the command is of course basilisk.exe, and the end of the argument is -no-remote.

I haven't tested every combination yet, but I assume it will work in reverse; i.e., if I'm running 64-bit St 55, I can open 32-bit St 52, and vice versa.

One "gotcha," though, is that while folder names are not case-sensitive, profile names are! So make sure you get the case after the -P flag exactly right; otherwise you'll get the "Choose Profile" prompt instead of launching directly into your desired profile.

The mirror of latest BNavigator, Firefox 45ESR, IceApe, IceDove, K-Meleon 1.5.x/74/76, MailNews 52, New Moon 26.5/27/28 and Serpent 52/55 builds by @roytam1 has been updated -> soggi.org - tools.

changelog:
- added latest BNavigator 0.9 20220903 build
- added latest IceApe 52 20220903 build
- added latest IceDove 52 20220903 build
- added latest K-Meleon 76 20220903 build
- added latest MailNews 52 20220903 build
- added latest New Moon 27 20220903 builds
- added latest New Moon 28 20220903 builds
- added latest Serpent 52 20220903 builds
- added latest Serpent 55 20220903 builds

To don't lose track of things I want to update too someday...

todo:
- add various flash player versions
- add FlashFix for WinXP
- add VLC 2.2.8 (WinXP non-SSE2)
- add polyfill addons

kind regards
soggi

Mathwiz wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------

On 8/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, VistaLover said:

ttps://github.com/martok/palefill/releases

From my initial testing, implementing support [for www.ING.de] would be as easy as adding in file "./lib/builtin-rules.js" below code:
 exports = String.raw`
+www.ing.de
+    std-customElements
+! --
 developer.apple.com
     std-customElements

As you may know, Martok has just released Palefill 1.20. Since he has unfortunately declined to update Palefill to support www.ING.de, users of that web site will have to follow the above instructions themselves (do not key in the +'s; those merely indicate added lines) in order to use www.ING.de with Palefill 1.20 or subsequent releases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to Mathwiz,

concerning latest versions of NM28 and Serpent52 :

These extensions work with www.ing.de except for Log-in Banking :

palefill@addons.martoks-place.de.xpi (palefill-1.19 VistaLover)

These modified extensions with the above instructions WON'T work at all with www.ing.de :

palefill@addons.martoks-place.de.xpi (palefill-1.20 Mathwiz)

The above modifications work !palefill@addons.martoks-place.de.xpi(palefill-1.20 ING)

palefill@addons.martoks-place.de.xpi (palefill-1.19 VistaLover)

Edited by anton12
Mea Culpa ! Corrected file added.

Hello to all fans of roytam1's browsers!
Some time ago I was asked if I knew a way to install a button in New Moon 28 that lists and makes available all about pages like the one I presented in my thread "Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions" for the browser Mypal 68. Meant was the custom button aboutbutton.
Link:

I totally forgot that here is a perfect way to do this. The solution is to install the extension Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1. Link: http://caa:addon/toolbar-buttons link.gif
Of course, to use this link you must have installed the extension Classic Add-ons Archive. Link: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/ link.gif
The genius of Toolbar Buttons is that with a single extension you get an incredible number of buttons to extend the functionality of our UXP browsers. I use a lot of them.
Here is a quotation from the developer's description:

Toolbar Buttons is the single biggest button pack for Firefox or Thunderbird there is. There are now over 100 Firefox, 50 for Thunderbird. You will find buttons that enable hidden functionality or is too many clicks away, but some of the best buttons are those unique to the extension. For example from some of out most popular buttons, there are menu items for, Options, Bookmark Manager, Bookmark Page, and Add-ons, but for Snap Back, Restart and about:config there is no existing user interface.

Anyway, one of these 100 buttons is called about:about. With this button, you have full access to all about pages in your browser. I use this extension and many of their provided toolbar buttons in all compatible browsers from the very first time. Especially the buttons Clear Data, Clear Cache and Restart. Maybe, a few of the other provided buttons do not work properly anymore, but most of them do. The buttons have to be installed by the toolbar's item "Customize" via drag and drop. Tested in New Moon 28 and Serpent 52. Have fun with this! :cheerleader:

Cheers, AstroSkipper metiers1.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

... A simpler solution, at least according to me ;) , would be to just create a new bookmark pointing to "about:about":

oDeN0xB.jpg

Result in St52:

RquyWRU.jpg

Of course, this is just a personal preference :P ... Others may be fine with installing a dedicated extension, along with an additional toolbar button... In any case, my moto is: "The more choice there is, the better" ! :yes: ...

Edited by VistaLover

Dear Mathwiz,

my apology to you !

You are right, the modifications to palefill-1.20 work with www.ing.de

The Log-in Banking (with account number & password) now opens up for the use of the

ING photoTAN-Generator (Two-Factor Authentication).

The corrected file is attached.

Thank you very much !

palefill@addons.martoks-place.de.xpi(palefill-1.20 ING)

Edited by anton12

Hello @roytam1, @VistaLover and @Mathwiz!

Did anyone of you already notice that the UI of uBlock Origin's dashboard page is broken in the latest version of New Moon 28 (2022-09-02)? The menu items at the top of the dashboard page are compressed and no longer visible. However, you can still click on them with the mouse. I refer to the last legacy version of uBlock Origin, 1.16.4.30. In a previous version of New Moon 28, everything was fine (I didn't check in which version this issue occurred first). Tested also with a clean profile. Here is a screenshot of this issue:

u-Block-Origin-issue.png

Since no new updates or versions have been released from JustOff for over a year, I'm afraid that not much will happen if reporting this issue on GitHub. To find out the reason for this glitch, I took a screenshot of the error console when the dashboard page of uBlock is loaded:

u-Block-Origin-issue-error-console.png

BTW, same issue with Serpent v52.9.0 (2022-09-02) (32-bit). uBlock Origin is in my opinion definitely the most important extension besides palefill we need for our UXP browser. Hope this can be fixed!

Cheers, AstroSkipper panne1.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did anyone of you already notice that the UI of uBlock Origin's dashboard page is broken in the latest version of New Moon 28 (2022-09-02)? The menu items at the top of the dashboard page are compressed and no longer visible. However, you can still click on them with the mouse. I refer to the last legacy version of uBlock Origin, 1.16.4.30.

Same here...

However it went back to normal when un-maximizing the window.

4 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Same here...

However it went back to normal when un-maximizing the window.

Confirmed! Any change in the size of the window recovers the menu items. Same applies to any change in the font of the dashboard page. But this is certainly not a satisfactory solution, of course. The problem must have to do with a change in the browsers, either in the current or in an earlier release. Some weeks ago, everything was fine. Maybe, our browser experts have an idea. I do not have one at the moment. jexplique.gif