The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

• 4 months later...

On 11/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, D.Draker said:

From what I gather, @msfntor is a highly religious person and lives by the Bible. He doesn't celebrate Halloween, saying it's "satanical", etc. 

Lizards are missing from his weird dream and this could be seen as somewhat satanic and anti-bible because according to the bible

all species should be present 'cause they are all God's creations

I'm not religious, I might be wrong, and I'm not good at reading dreams. I don't know why he asked me.

My dreams tend to be more vivid and forecasting, I'd say. So I think it's not a miracle, it's otherwise, it's a sign of disaster - the World

without lizards. 

Totally agree, I can't imagine this world without iguanas.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my vacation at a nice hotel located on a charmingly beautiful island Sint Maarten.

The islands in the Dutch Caribbean, part of the colonies, now Constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Caribbean

Sint Maarten is a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and as such the Monarch of the Netherlands is head of state, represented locally by a governor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Maarten

I've been there several times before, and always liked it!

So far, I visited many, but my ultimate goal would be to visit all islands in the Dutch Caribbean. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, msfntor said:

This is how humans will look in the year 3,000 because of our dependence on technology?

11/6/2022, 10:49:14 PM

3453520-46.jpg

Simulation of the human body in the year 3,000 (photo: screenshot, tollfreeforwarding)

Experts have created a model called "Mindy" that provides a glimpse of what we might look like in the year 3,000: hunchbacked and wide-necked with claws instead of hands, a second set of eyelids and a small brain

For many of us, a moment when we are without our phone, tablet or laptop feels like an eternity.

But a scary glimpse into the future of the human race might encourage us to spend a little less time with these devices.

Researchers have created a grotesque model of a woman called 'Mindy', which they say provides a grounded hypothesis for the way humans might look in less than 800 years, as a result of our reliance on technology.

With a humped back, broad neck, clawed shriveled hand and even a second set of eyelids, Mindy "could be the average human from the year 3,000 onwards".

Mindy was created by Toll Free Forwarding as a way to demonstrate how technology affects our bodies.

"We gathered scientific studies done on the subject and opinions of experts in the field, before working with a 3D designer to create a future person whose body has changed physically due to consistent use of smartphones, laptops and other technologies," they explained there.

So what will we look like in the year 3,000 and why?

Years of looking down at our smartphone screens or up at computer screens will result in a hunched-over physique, according to the model.

At the same time, our hands will be permanently shaped into a claw due to the constant gripping of smartphones.

Speaking to Toll Free Forwarding, Dr Nikola Djordjevic from Med Alert Help explained: "The way we hold our phones can cause strain on certain touch points - causing 'typing claw', known in medical parlance as 'canal syndrome' the qubital".

A hand designed to hold a smartphone (photo: screenshot, tollfreeforwarding)

In addition to the 'typing claw', humans may develop 'smartphone elbow' - a fixed 90 degree angle caused by the typical position of the arm when holding a device.

"Keeping the elbow bent for a long time - often, while holding the phone - can stretch the nerve behind the elbow and put pressure on it," explained Dr. Djordavich.

Hours of looking at our phones will cause not only the back to cramp, but also the neck to thicken According to the model. "When you work on a computer or look down at your phone, the muscles at the back of the neck have to contract to hold the head up," explained Dr. K.

Daniel Rio of the Orch Spine Hospital in New York.

"The more you look down, the harder the muscles have to work to keep your head up.

Other grotesque features we can expect include a thicker skull and smaller brain, as well as a second eyelid to prevent excessive exposure to light.

"Humans may have developed a larger inner eyelid to prevent exposure to excessive light, or the lens of the eye may have evolved to block blue light from entering, but not other high-wavelength lights such as green, yellow or red," said Casson Ratanyaka of the University of Toledo.

But why should our brains get smaller?

"I think the best explanation for our shrinking brain size is the idiocracy theory," said cognitive researcher David Geary.

This theory was popularized by the 2006 film Idiocracy, in which an ordinary man wakes up 500 years in the future to discover that he is the most intelligent person on Earth.

It gained momentum thanks to research showing how the human brain shrank from the size it was 1.9 million years ago to 10,000 years ago.

Why?

Thanks to technological advances in agriculture, health and many other areas of life, we now have to do much less to survive.

According to evolutionary theory, not only people with larger brains will be evolutionarily selected to survive.

It could even expand and create a smaller person altogether, as Adina Mahali from "Enlightened Reality" said: "The theory of evolution points to the existence of a smaller person in the future. This is mainly due to the fact that survival no longer depends on being the largest person, or the strongest of the species . Likewise, reproductive success currently depends on a wide variety of indicators, including for example financial capabilities. In the future, the people who are more technologically savvy will likely be the most successful. In light of this, humans will begin to shrink."

This is what office workers will look like in 20 years?

"Emma" - a simulation of how office workers will look in 20 years (Fellowes Brands)

Mindy is the successor to her mother - the sick model of the working woman of the future - built in 2019 to emphasize the importance of good working conditions.

Emma was designed by researchers after interviewing more than 3,000 employees about their health issues and concerns.

She has a constant squatting position from sitting for hours every day at her desk, red and dry eyes from prolonged exposure to computer screen light and loose skin from spending years under the glare of artificial lights.

Here: https://newsrnd.com/life/2022-11-06-this-is-how-humans-will-look-in-the-year-3-000-because-of-our-dependence-on-technology----walla!-health.rkQknsBBo.html 

This is how many humans already look like!

I just got back from Mykonos. This summer I've rested for too long, I'm tired of resting! I made a terrible mistake, it was too hot there! Not sure I'll ever go there again, not my climate. Though I met some interesting people there, with whom we are going to stay in touch and help with our careers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, UCyborg said:

As one of the youngest people on MSFN, and also have had my several moments of thoughts like these, a lot of it to me boils down to the truth about how we see the world.

Me, along with many others my age, see the world in a very pessimistic sense. We see and hear of all the events of mass shootings (especially in the west), increasing cost of living, more and more jobs being replaced by computers, and the continuous argument of each side constantly berating each other to death. If its okay to be transgender, if its okay to be gay, if its okay to do anything, really. We look at the world and just see it as something falling apart and our generation having to be the one to deal with it. The internet has reduced social contact significantly, and many of us are still recovering from the years of isolation especially during the pandemic. Not to mention the unstable politics in the east, with Russia / Ukraine, Palestine / Israel, it really doesn't give us much positivity in the future when all we hear is how horrible the world is.

I personally had thoughts of ending it all when I felt like there was no hope. Most people typically have those thoughts when they feel there's no reason to live their life and that everything will continue to be suffering. Especially when we are told to just man up, and deal with it. The younger generation as a whole really values the comfort of living a happy life much, much more than having to work ourselves to death just to make ends meet.

A lot of us just want to live happy lives with our friends and close partners. We want to live and be the person we aspire to be, express ourselves not limited to a certain construct, and just be our best self. But the idea that you lose your soul as you get older, are forced into certain restrictions just for society... its a thought that a lot of people can't swallow. I'd love to see a future where people can come together on their differences and make a change for the best interests of the people, not for the best interests of people who agree with you. I'd love to see a future where things are fair and that you can actually get an education for cheap, be able to live for cheap, since we are all humans on this planet. Why does anyone have to be more important than someone else? This is our home. There are no other homes out there for us. We need to respect this planet that supports all of our lives. Battling each other until the death, even if it is human nature, will really be what causes the human extinction. Ourselves.

Mental health is so utterly important right now, the focus of humanity needs to really push into improving the health of everyone worldwide, physically and mentally. Along with ensuring both males, females, and however else you identify yourself as, are all treated equally. But even then, its not a problem that can be solved unless the entire world meets and agrees on our problems, and most countries actually take a stand to improve it in response.

I just want the future to be exciting, man. But in reality a lot of us aren't excited. We really are fearing the future. We will likely see this as the numbers of young parents will decrease as newer generations decide to not have children.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone ... I've missed you all very much and I MEAN IT! Thank you for the kind words I've read.

A lot has happened to me and I don't even know where to start; but I'll try.

1st: I got Covid In April and lost all of my functions in including (what's left of) my mind and I'm far from recovered yet - not 100%

2nd: I was evicted from the housing I was living and I'm now in a group home that is just down the street from where I used to live. One-by-one they were evicting handicap disabled folks to turn the building into luxury housing and I was on that list; sadly. I''m a little safer here but I'm also limited on how much time I can spend online.

3rd: My Peace Lilly died. 

I'm happy to be back here as I've always considered this my home. I realized not everyone will be thrilled but that is ok.

I hope to spend more time relearning what Covid took from me and getting into these new browsers and updated I see listed but I have low energy atm.

Be well and happy holidays to all.

~Salvatore

Edited by XPerceniol

On 11/8/2023 at 5:34 PM, sunryze said:

As one of the youngest people on MSFN, and also have had my several moments of thoughts like these, a lot of it to me boils down to the truth about how we see the world.

Me, along with many others my age, see the world in a very pessimistic sense. We see and hear of all the events of mass shootings (especially in the west), increasing cost of living, more and more jobs being replaced by computers, and the continuous argument of each side constantly berating each other to death. If its okay to be transgender, if its okay to be gay, if its okay to do anything, really. We look at the world and just see it as something falling apart and our generation having to be the one to deal with it. The internet has reduced social contact significantly, and many of us are still recovering from the years of isolation especially during the pandemic. Not to mention the unstable politics in the east, with Russia / Ukraine, Palestine / Israel, it really doesn't give us much positivity in the future when all we hear is how horrible the world is.

I personally had thoughts of ending it all when I felt like there was no hope. Most people typically have those thoughts when they feel there's no reason to live their life and that everything will continue to be suffering. Especially when we are told to just man up, and deal with it. The younger generation as a whole really values the comfort of living a happy life much, much more than having to work ourselves to death just to make ends meet.

A lot of us just want to live happy lives with our friends and close partners. We want to live and be the person we aspire to be, express ourselves not limited to a certain construct, and just be our best self. But the idea that you lose your soul as you get older, are forced into certain restrictions just for society... its a thought that a lot of people can't swallow. I'd love to see a future where people can come together on their differences and make a change for the best interests of the people, not for the best interests of people who agree with you. I'd love to see a future where things are fair and that you can actually get an education for cheap, be able to live for cheap, since we are all humans on this planet. Why does anyone have to be more important than someone else? This is our home. There are no other homes out there for us. We need to respect this planet that supports all of our lives. Battling each other until the death, even if it is human nature, will really be what causes the human extinction. Ourselves.

Mental health is so utterly important right now, the focus of humanity needs to really push into improving the health of everyone worldwide, physically and mentally. Along with ensuring both males, females, and however else you identify yourself as, are all treated equally. But even then, its not a problem that can be solved unless the entire world meets and agrees on our problems, and most countries actually take a stand to improve it in response.

I just want the future to be exciting, man. But in reality a lot of us aren't excited. We really are fearing the future. We will likely see this as the numbers of young parents will decrease as newer generations decide to not have children.

Thank you for opening up so much here ... when I can I'll reply to everything but for now I'm in no shape to do so. I hope it helped you to get all that out and off your shoulders.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:34 PM, sunryze said:

...I personally had thoughts of ending it all when I felt like there was no hope. Most people typically have those thoughts when they feel there's no reason to live their life and that everything will continue to be suffering. Especially when we are told to just man up, and deal with it...

Just quickly my young friend ... despite what others and society tells (brainwashes) us, it actually quite 'normal' (dare I use that ugly word Normal) to have those thoughts, but when they become more than a fleeting thought that is where we need to become concerned. Your life is precious and you don't need to change unless its to better yourself not to please other people or this toxic society.

Again, I will address more but I felt it was important to address that quickly and try to shift focus on your good honest qualities and your caring personality and non-judgmental senses.

Be well and just be YOU - there is nothing wrong with you and don't let anybody make you feel otherwise. :)

Edited by XPerceniol