SSD toolkit for XP

kasfruit

On 11/27/2020 at 1:24 AM, Rod Steel said:

There is such Utility - Solid State Doctor

It works in Windows XP and last version release date is: Dec-14-2016.

It have function of manual trim and auto-trim that should work with XP.

I just downloaded it and it doesn't work on my Windows XP SP3
error-SSD-tool.jpg

10 hours ago, Cixert said:

I just downloaded it and it doesn't work on my Windows XP SP3

I confirming that - on my machine Version 3.1.4.2 it is not working with same message. This means that LS-Tecnology forgot to update system requirements for last version because this message appears when minimal requirements is Vista.

However, :cool: i also can confirm that Version v3.0.3.2 definitely can work in XP SP3:

Solid State Drive Utility 3.0.3.2 XPSP3.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:52 PM, Rod Steel said:

I confirming that - on my machine Version 3.1.4.2 it is not working with same message. This means that LS-Tecnology forgot to update system requirements for last version because this message appears when minimal requirements is Vista.

However, :cool: i also can confirm that Version v3.0.3.2 definitely can work in XP SP3:

Solid State Drive Utility 3.0.3.2 XPSP3.png

With this version 3.0.3.2 I can run TRIM on SSD Kingston A400 with Windows XP.
Thank very much.
I have also seen the overprovision option.
It's the first time I've read about this.
On my SSD drive this program does not give the option to reserve a space for overprovision. What does this mean and how does it affect me?
My drive capacity is 240 Gb. It is divided into 4 MBR partitions and these only have a few GiB of free space.
Edit:
I think it doesn't give me the option because I already have 4 primary partitions created and it cannot create a new one for over-provisioning.

Edited by Cixert

• 2 months later...

Symantec Ghost v12.0.0.8019, dated 2015.

When I restore an image to a partition with Ghost32.exe (Windows one, under XP) it briefly stated at the bottom:

SSD with TRIM support detected; executing TRIM on unused sectors.

Then seconds later it starts doing its normal business.

Funny.

• 1 year later...

the speed of my Kingstom SDD has dropped a lot after 2 years of use.
I have done TRIM with Solid State Doctor 3.0.3.2 and it has not improved anything.
Then I have found another utility, rudimentary with complicated options, but after doing TRIM the speed has increased 23 Mb/s
I don't know if TRIM really improves reading speed
The utility is called SDD Tweaker, it works with Windows XP (depending on the version it require .Net 2, .Net 3.5 or .Net 4.0, the last says .Net 3.5)
Only the Pro version TRIMs. Unfortunately it doesn't TRIM alone, it TRIMs on an optimization button.
Be careful, review the options first to leave them as they were after pressing the button (the options do not affect pressing the button optimization)
https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=SSD-Tweaker
In any case, the speed of this SSD disk is now much lower than a mechanical HDD, except for the access time

BEFORE SDD TWEAKER
spacer.png

AFTER SDD TWEAKER

spacer.png

I have also found yet another program that does TRIM on Windows XP, it only works with some hard drives.
It's called Naraeon SDD Tools.
https://www.naraeon.net/en/latest-naraeon-ssd-tools/

Also the ADATA (maker hardware) utility "SDD Tool Box" works on Windows XP and seems to work on various SSDs
Caution, TRIM pretends to work on different units, but it really seems that it only works with ADATA hardware
https://www.adata.com/us/support/consumer?tab=downloads

Also I have seen Microsoft SDD Tool 0.95 from 2010, I don't know if there are newer versions compatible with XP
You do not close the program until after a few minutes, until it says end, although it warns if it is about closing the program before time.
https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=66521

Edited by Cixert

On 5/5/2022 at 6:08 AM, RainyShadow said:

Is it this tool?

Page says it needs OS support for TRIM.

Yes, but I think it works on Windows XP and even on Windows 2000, how can it be verified?

On 5/5/2022 at 5:52 AM, reboot12 said:

Try Smart Defrag 4.1 or 4.2

sdefrag41.png.5926cccc9b9cc3b541bca337b6ef571f.png

What about you shouldn't defragment SSD drives because they get damaged?

Edited by Cixert

No, you shouldn't defrag any solid state storage device.
There's no advantage in doing so as their access speed is not affected by fragmentation, and it will just put unnecessary wear on them and shorten their life.
:)

SSDs, as like any other storage device, are automatically configured by windows. There is no storage device specific driver required. All you need is drivers for your storage controller.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:58 PM, Dave-H said:

No, you shouldn't defrag any solid state storage device.
There's no advantage in doing so as their access speed is not affected by fragmentation, and it will just put unnecessary wear on them and shorten their life.
:)

Correct! I totally agree. All this kind of optimizations are contraproductive.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:52 AM, reboot12 said:

Try Smart Defrag 4.1 or 4.2

sdefrag41.png.5926cccc9b9cc3b541bca337b6ef571f.png

In older OSs like Windows XP you should deactivate all unnecessary file optimizations and accesses to your SSD. Windows XP is lacking of native SSD support and therefore it tries to maintain your SSD like a harddisk. This would lead to senseless READ and WRITE operations which would definitely shorten the lifespan of the flash components installed in your SSD.