My Browser Builds (Part 2)

I got annyoing bug on latest mailnews. I got 2 gmail accounts using imap4 via o2auth and got custom message folders created on gmail webui. I have enabled download offline copies of messages on settings. If I leave any of those custom folders open and close Mailnews sometimes when I it again start inbox and every message on account disappears until I delete all config files or restore backup of appdata. I can still view mails on web or other systems with client. Pop3 is disabled on gmail control panel. I am running latest Mailnews 32bit build on Windows XP 32bit. It seems like corruption of local data during login if left open

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

@Mr.Scienceman2000

I never touched Mailnews, so may be wrong, but...

There should be some local index, database,  or whatever to tell the program what messages are already downloaded. What would happen if you clear that and then check for new messages? Does it bring the inbox to working state without clearing all of the config files?

Is there a command line option to open specific folder on startup? You can try using that with a known good folder.

Another possibility is if you used some unsupported characters in the names of those folders and it confuses the program. Try to create a folder using only the normal 26 latin letters and check if it triggers this issue. Or try with just a number for folder name.

15 hours ago, luweitest said:

Well, AFAIK, @JustOff only supports official Pale Moon, official Basilisk and SeaMonkey 2.53.x; he doesn't support pre-Quantum Mozilla Firefox (v52-56), nor any other Fx52ESR-based fork...

The forks by feodor2 (Mypal, Centauri) follow almost to the letter (errr, number :P) the official versioning, so the extension would have no issue (that I know of) installing and functioning there; so, that only leaves out the forks by @roytam1 ...

Successful operation of the extension (i.e. GitHub working the way it is expected by a Github user) doesn't only depend on appVersion, but the underlying platform (UXP) has to have a minimum set of required features (be "mature" enough, if you will) to support the polyfills loaded by the extension; and UXP snapshots prior to Oct 2020 lack one or more of these features; e.g., the Preview tab in the comments section (for a logged-in user) requires the abortController web API.

Imagine the case your wish has been granted by @JustOff and his extension installs out-of-the-box in Serpent 52.9.0; not so long ago we've seen posts in this thread about how more responsive yesteryear versions of Serpent 52.9.0 are, recommended in a subtle way to users on low-end hardware XP systems... The extension would have no issue installing in a 2018 build of Serpent 52 (on Firefox ESR 52.x.x, too), but obviously the GitHub experience there would be substandard... Do you think @JustOff is willing to deal with such scenarios?

FWIW, you created your GitHub issue being a Serpent 52 user; under the same reasoning, shouldn't the New Moon 28 users be entitled to out-of-the-box support, too? But NM28 last October was at version 28.10.2a1, so if @JustOff enables such support, the extension would be half-working (if at all) when installed in official Pale Moon < 28.14.0 (this is also an edge case, but who knows if it doesn't come up?) ; so, things aren't as clear-cut as initially imagined; the ball is now in @JustOff's court, so let's wait for his reaction... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

semi-OT: Cameron Kaiser just announced his plans to end TenFourFox for PPC OSX.

Quoting from author:

After that date, for my own use I will still make security patches backported from the new Firefox 91ESR publicly available on Github and possibly add any new features I personally need, but I won't promise these on any particular timeline, I won't make or release any builds for people to download, I won't guarantee any specific feature or fix, I won't guarantee timeliness or functionality, and there will be no more user support of any kind including on Tenderapp. I'll call this "hobby mode," because the browser will be a hobby I purely maintain for myself, with no concessions, no version tags (rolling release only), no beta test period and no regular schedule. You can still use it, but if you want to do so, you will be responsible for building the browser yourself and this gives you a few months to learn how. Also, effective immediately, there will be no further updates to TenFourFoxBox, the QuickTime Enabler, the MP4 Enabler or the TenFourFox Downloader, though you will still be able to download them.

and it seems that my so-called "hobby mode" might be "better" than his. :P

12 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000

There should be some local index, database,  or whatever to tell the program what messages are already downloaded. What would happen if you clear that and then check for new messages? Does it bring the inbox to working state without clearing all of the config files?

yes clearing it helps but it is annyoing since need redownload old messages and sometimes I am behind slow mobile connection where it takes forever

12 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000

Another possibility is if you used some unsupported characters in the names of those folders and it confuses the program. Try to create a folder using only the normal 26 latin letters and check if it triggers this issue. Or try with just a number for folder name.

Folders are shorter than it and wont contain ä ö å or other alfabeths. I got subfolders on folders to index my emails by categories like work, stores etc so it may confuse it.

32 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I got subfolders on folders to index my emails by categories like work, stores etc so it may confuse it.

OK then...

Maybe assume that the program doesn't support multi-level folder structure and reorganize your inbox to have only one level of folders?

Instead of folder 2 inside a root folder 1, you could make a root folder 1-2, etc.

Edited by RainyShadow
typo

On 10/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, roytam1 said:

Resources by other people:

@i430VX's Browser Installer:

Suggestion based on my usage -merely as food for thought, given the amount of interest (and fun!) roytam1's FOSS spirit is making possible in the XP (and Vista) world- divide the thread in three (I use RT1 as heading for example, I like it):

1 - RT1 Builds [Official]:where only roytam1 and those who are more actively supporting him development-wise (roytam1 should call it) have posting rights.  Just "official" stuff, like releases and tutorials.

2 - RT1 Browsers Discussion: to discuss issues about the builds (like pluggins, about:something issues, "version xxx breaks my grandpa's page"), EXCLUDING addons

3 - RT1 Browsers Addons: well, just that

4 - RT1 Mail Client and Other s***: mostly mailnews, and other stuff

Just sayin. Be well.

Edited by dmiranda

2 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

Suggestion based on my usage -merely as food for thought, given the amount of interest (and fun!) roytam1's FOSS spirit is making possible in the XP (and Vista) world- divide the thread in three (I use RT1 as heading for example, I like it):

1 - RT1 Builds [Official]:where only roytam1 and those who are more actively supporting him development-wise (roytam1 should call it) have posting rights.  Just "official" stuff, like releases and tutorials.

2 - RT1 Browsers Discussion: to discuss issues about the builds (like "version xxx breaks my grandpa's page), EXCLUDING addons

3 - RT1 Browsers Addons: well, just that

4 - RT1 Mail Client and Other s***: mostly mailnews, and other stuff

Just sayin. Be well.

Of course, this shouldn't prevent other independent threads, but it may help and encourage roytam1 (and those more closely supporting his work) to continue doing what is being done, which is very good and -for those who depend on old good XP- vital.

PS: Clearly, this comment would then belong to RT1 Mail Client and Other s***, lol

On 3/29/2021 at 4:02 PM, DanR20 said:

It's a very small file, only 18 bytes. Kind of strange they linked that with about:support in the profile but nothing they do surprises me anymore.

Quite true. Silicon Valley wannabe complex, they suffer. It happened to Netscape too, for those who can remember or care to read about it.

4 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Quite true. Silicon Valley wannabe complex, they suffer. It happened to Netscape too, for those who can remember or care to read about it.

This is the only text in shield-preference-experiments.json:

{"experiments":{}}

Mozilla firefox is like one of the those can't live with or without, it's still far better than chrome for certain things like customization. I just wish they would leave it alone and let us use it. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy this Serpent version. Their obsession with the ui and constantly changing it and removing options turns people off and is a big reason users move on from it.  

Edited by DanR20

I was wondering... what is the unique ID for both mailnews and icedove to convert older Thunderbird add-ons (if you open up the .xpi files)?

The three addons I use get rejected: Auto Select Latest Message, CompactHeader, and Contacts Sidebar. These all work fine with Thunderbird 52....

Halfway back in this thread the unique hex code for IceApe was revealed... so I figured there was one for these email apps too.

Thanks in advance...

@Montana Slim :

[App]
Vendor=Hyperbola
Name=Icedove-UXP
Version=52.9.20210325
BuildID=20100101
ID={3aa07e56-beb0-47a0-b0cb-c735edd25419}
RemotingName=Icedove-UXP

[Gecko]
MinVersion=4.8.0
MaxVersion=4.8.0

... and

[App]
Vendor=OpenSource
Name=MailNews
RemotingName=mailnews
Version=52.9.7754a1
BuildID=20210325050411
ID={3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}

[Gecko]
MinVersion=4.8.0
MaxVersion=4.8.0

:P

In his latest Pale Moon extension-blocklist update, Moonchild, among other changes, moved to "severity 3" (hard/permanent block) the following two extensions:

Giorgio Maone's (legacy) NoScript (id="{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}")

JustOff's Moon Tester Tool (id="moonttool@Off.JustOff")

and added directly at "severity 3" level (:realmad:)

JustOff's Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA) (id="ca-archive@Off.JustOff")

Code below:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commit/1ca7c78

I don't know whether it's a typo (probably not...), but the commit's title says it "fixes" PM issue #1444 , which has nothing to do with the extension blocklist... The latest update is in fact just another coordinated offensive against JustOff's offerings (previous ally, now treated as worst foe...).

@roytam1 : Are New Moon 28 users being served the same blocklist as Moonchild's PM?

Browsing inside NM28's "about:config" section and filtering for "extensions.blocklist", I see:

extensions.blocklist.url;https://blocklist.palemoon.org/?version=%VERSION%

but what is the value of %VERSION% in our case (if it's 28.10.3a1, then the resultant URI redirects to

https://blocklist.palemoon.org/v28-1/blocklist.xml

which serves currently an older iteration of the blocklist... :dubbio:) ?

Might I kindly ask you to undo these changes (if indeed they'll affect us, too :(), since many users here use one or more of the now permanently blocked PM extensions (I use MTT+CAA, NoScript also has some enthusiasts among NM28 users ;) ...).

Somewhat OT, but do you, too, see "hieroglyphs" on everything hosted on www.palemoon.org:

omq1SVk.jpg

I noticed this when trying a NM28 fresh profile and was greeted with

http://www.palemoon.org/firstrun.shtml

FTR, the Page Source is correctly in English, but when the page loads, only displays English for a mere fraction of a second, then falls back to indecipherable scripts; I have tried several character encodings, all to no avail... :(

41 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

FTR, the Page Source is correctly in English, but when the page loads, only displays English for a mere fraction of a second, then falls back to indecipherable scripts; I have tried several character encodings, all to no avail... :(

I think this is some kind of webfont april fool?

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

In his latest Pale Moon extension-blocklist update, Moonchild, among other changes, moved to "severity 3" (hard/permanent block) the following two extensions:

Giorgio Maone's (legacy) NoScript (id="{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}")

JustOff's Moon Tester Tool (id="moonttool@Off.JustOff")

and added directly at "severity 3" level (:realmad:)

JustOff's Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA) (id="ca-archive@Off.JustOff")

Code below:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commit/1ca7c78

I don't know whether it's a typo (probably not...), but the commit's title says it "fixes" PM issue #1444 , which has nothing to do with the extension blocklist... The latest update is in fact just another coordinated offensive against JustOff's offerings (previous ally, now treated as worst foe...).

@roytam1 : Are New Moon 28 users being served the same blocklist as Moonchild's PM?

Browsing inside NM28's "about:config" section and filtering for "extensions.blocklist", I see:

extensions.blocklist.url;https://blocklist.palemoon.org/?version=%VERSION%

but what is the value of %VERSION% in our case (if it's 28.10.3a1, then the resultant URI redirects to

https://blocklist.palemoon.org/v28-1/blocklist.xml

which serves currently an older iteration of the blocklist... :dubbio:) ?

Might I kindly ask you to undo these changes (if indeed they'll affect us, too :(), since many users here use one or more of the now permanently blocked PM extensions (I use MTT+CAA, NoScript also has some enthusiasts among NM28 users ;) ...).

Somewhat OT, but do you, too, see "hieroglyphs" on everything hosted on www.palemoon.org:

omq1SVk.jpg

I just turn off the blocklist

Also, you can see the font name in the CSS files