Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

is Primetime decryption the same as the Widevine ?, I am trying to get the DRM into FF 52.9 ESR, I have Spoofed the Useragent, and changed all relevant stuff, but Pritimetime is there but not Widevine
I want to get Widevine so when I goto Content I can turn it on to get the Spotify Webplayer working

all the widevine.cdm is enabled in the about config

just wonder if i need any other files in the FF profile

sure widevine was there before I did a refresh, Primetime is there

What I have done is create a folder gmp-widevinecdm then a sub-folder 1.4.8.1008 then put in the relevant files

then in FF config added to strings, media.gmp-widevinecdm.version with value 1.4.8.1008

&

media.gmp-widevinecdm.abi with value x86-msvc-x86

there is 2 other widevine strings there already set to true

will see if this does the trick

Update
seems it didn't, I know I DID have it in FF , so no idea at moment, No idea or remember what I did before

what I get is media.gmp-widevinecdm.version (string) MediaWMFNeeded,MediaWidevineNoWMFNoSilverlight,MediaCannotInitializePulseAudio,MediaCannotPlayNoDecoders,MediaUnsupportedLib

What is this string supposed to be
https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/62.0/20170413192749/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT 5.1/default/default/update.xmll

where it is says 62.0 is the spoofed FF version instead of saying % , should I change the NT to a different one
https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml" (default value) to "https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml" (%VERSION% -> 51.0)

Edited by DrWho3000
update

On 9/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, DrWho3000 said:

I want to get Widevine so when I go to Content I can turn it on to get the Spotify Webplayer working

Please read this, all of it... ;)

On 9/11/2018 at 4:03 PM, DrWho3000 said:

MediaWMFNeeded

... As you might already know, Windows XP SP3 doesn't have any WMF support, OTOH Widevine CDM (inside a "Mozilla" type browser) depends on OS decoders, accessible via MF, hence you also get:

MediaCannotPlayNoDecoders

BTW,

with value 1.4.8.1008

Most recent Widevine DLLs make function calls to APIs only present in Win7+; as I said in my other post, your best chance to get Spotify Web player working in XP is with Google Chrome 49 (you may have to make it appear as a more recent version to Spotify's APIs.)...

Edited by VistaLover

Can someone help me I had to uninstall FF as it became corrupted  Starting with a brand new Profile

What I got So Far is

media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi (String) x86-msvc-x86
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi", "x86-msvc-x86");
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.autoupdate", false);
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled", true);
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported", true);
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.forcevisible", true);
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate", 1512748679);
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.version", "17");
user_pref("media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible", true);
user_pref("media.gmp-gmpopenh264.abi", "x86-msvc-x86");
user_pref("media.gmp-gmpopenh264.lastUpdate", 1495400516);
user_pref("media.gmp-gmpopenh264.version", "1.6");
user_pref("media.gmp-manager.buildID", "20180621064021");
user_pref("media.gmp-manager.lastCheck", 1537098990);

user_pref("media.gmp-manager.url", "https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/62.0/20170413192749/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT%205.1/default/default/update.xml    Like  Quote");

user_pref("media.gmp-widevinecdm.forceSupported", true);
user_pref("media.gmp.storage.version.observed", 1);
user_pref("media.hardware-video-decoding.failed", false);
user_pref("media.mediasource.webm.enabled", true)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible and media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled are aet to True

media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled (boolean, true)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported (boolean, true; FF 49.0+)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.forcevisible (boolean, true; FF 45-48, no longer used in 49.0+)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible (boolean, true; FF 49.0+)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.version (string, 17; required for manual install now that automatic install is no longer an option)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi (string, x86-msvc-x86; not required, you can set it if you want to more closely mimic automatic install)

media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate (integer, 1500000000; not required, you can set it if you want to more closely mimic automatic install)

media.gmp.decoder.enabled (boolean, true)

media.eme.enabled

media.gmp-manager.url  
https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0/20170413192749/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT 5.1/default/default/update.xml

general.useragent.overridepreference (string)  
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/2010e

What Am I missing

The Videos on Facebook did work before Got them going on  Twitter (Some Have Sound Some Don't)

ON Facebook  some sound some not they are not perorming right they bring up a box instead of just playing

think I found the problem I had

general.useragent.override 

instead of

general.useragent.overrideprefrence

Which is correct

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0

can I change it to NT 6.3 instead

Now getting sound on Twitter and FB with HTML5 instead of flashplayer and gifs seem to work aswell

here are files to show I have all the right dll etc in right places in right folder

edit

gmp3.JPG

FF Config.JPG

gmp1.JPG

gmp2.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
edit

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but does this fix work on Firefox 28 on Windows XP? I am not a technically minded guy, but these instructions seem more or less simple, and I can always ask if I have an issue. I have two machines. One of which is on Windows 10 and modern Firefox, where this is not necessary. The other machine is Windows XP and does require this fix as Youtube only just started acting up on Firefox 28 last night.

17 hours ago, WarwolfPrime said:

The other machine is Windows XP and does require this fix as Youtube only just started acting up on Firefox 28 last night.

Hello :) and welcome to MSFN forums! :P IMHO, you have a bigger problem in your hands by staying with Fx 28.0 :o:huh: ; it was released back in Mar 2014, still has a lot of unresolved functional bugs, not to mention that, security-wise, it has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese...

If you're clinging on it because it was the last pre-Australis major Fx release, then you can switch to latest, but EOL'd, FxESR 52.9.0 and install Classic Theme Restorer to regain 95% of the pre-Australis GUI+features; or install latest New Moon 28 build (a Pale Moon 28 fork modified so as to run on XP/Vista) that never implemented the Australis design...

As for your original query:

17 hours ago, WarwolfPrime said:

does this fix work on Firefox 28 on Windows XP?

am afraid the answer is NO :no:

Fx 28.0 is simply too old; it does not support any form of EMEs (Encrypted Media Extentions = DRM components) and relevant CDMs (Content Decryption Modules), so installing Adobe Primetime CDM on Fx 28.0 is out of the question... On top of that, Fx 28.0 has no support for Media Source Extensions (MSE), needed for youtube MPEG-DASH streams; visiting

https://www.youtube.com/html5

with Fx 28.0 on XP you should have got only HTMLVideoElement and WebM VP8 ticked in blue (i.e. supported); it would appear that youtube have retired the VP8 encodes, thus rendering Fx 28.0 on XP unusable... :angry:; BTW, I'm not just speculating, I have got a portable installation of Fx 28.0 on an external HDD and by toggling media.windows-media-foundation.enabled (from true to false) I simulated an XP environment and conducted tests before posting this...

On those of us on Vista and higher, Fx 28.0 by default has H.264 ticked in blue, because Fx 28.0 has support for Media Foundation, hence it has access to patented system decoders (h.264/aac) not present in the XP OS (by a M$ decision)... So I can still use Fx 28.0 on Vista on youtube, they serve me a progressive download (no MSE) of an MP4 encode...

You want youtube in XP?

1. Use Google Chrome 49, or Advanced Chrome fork (or possibly other Chromium derivatives still supporting XP, e.g. Maxthon...)

2. Update to FxESR 52.9.0 ; native support for MSE+WebM VP9 (for other sites that require h.264/aac native browser support, follow the guides of this thread).

3. Update to New Moon 28 or Basilisk 52.9.0 by roytam1; both have native support for H.264/MSE+H.264/MSE+WebM VP9; (some) people on XP have encountered a small nuisance on Youtube, affectionately known as the "23min youtube bug"; it's not a deal breaker, TBH... And at least one person here has reported better aac (audio) decoding experience by disabling native support in Basilisk 52.9.0 and installing Adobe Primetime CDM there, as per this thread... ;)

Hope I made everything clear for you, I'm confident others can chime in for more detailed help, if you need it that is :rolleyes:...

Edited by VistaLover

I'm in the the same situation that WarwolfPrime is.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 on an old quad core (Kensington) with 2GB ram and still using Fx 28.0 as my browser.

I never updated to the later versions of Firefox because I really like using the Classic Compact theme and it always seemed to work just fine, until last week.

I would like to stick with Firefox, so I can keep all my bookmarks, history, settings, session/tabs etc. However, since XP is no longer being supported, maybe it's a better idea to jump to one of the forks. It's difficult to find information and reviews about the pros and cons of doing this, so I thought I would ask for some opinions here.

Should I move to one of the forks? If so, which one? New Moon, Basilisk or MyPal? Are they all compatible with Fx 28.0 themes/add-ons?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

I would give New Moon 28 a try. It has the "classic" FF theme and it's easy enough to download RoyTam's .7z file, copy the contents into C:\Program Files\palemoon, and launch palemoon.exe.

It will create a profile folder; to find it, type about:support as the URL. Do the same for FF28. Once you know their profile folder names, you'll probably want to exit both browsers, then copy the contents of your FF28 folder to the NM28 profile folder. That way you get to keep all that stuff you mentioned:

13 hours ago, obstinateXP said:

bookmarks, history, settings, session/tabs etc.

... although it wouldn't hurt to double-check things after restarting.

Or try MyPal. It should work pretty much the same as NM28.

Basilisk looks & feels much more like "modern" FF, so you may not like it as much.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:46 AM, Rod Steel said:

Did someone finally figured out how fix that bug in Firefox 52.9 ESR?

I do not think so. Regarding Basilisk you may install classic theme restorer and classic toolbar buttons and customise it to your liking.

New Moon 28 and Mypal I suggest you to install HTML5 media tuner since all sites ( I mean the ones  I frequent ) play videos with Adobe Flash as well so by disabling html5 you don't get the 23 minute thingy. This does not apply to youtube.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:24 AM, VistaLover said:

Update to New Moon 28 or Basilisk 52.9.0 by roytam1; both have native support for H.264/MSE+H.264/MSE+WebM VP9; (some) people on XP have encountered a small nuisance on Youtube, affectionately known as the "23min youtube bug"; it's not a deal breaker, TBH... And at least one person here has reported better aac (audio) decoding experience by disabling native support in Basilisk 52.9.0 and installing Adobe Primetime CDM there, as per this thread... ;)

It was @dencorso who reported better audio with native support disabled and installing/using the Adobe Primetime CDM instead. I wonder if he's observed whether this also fixes the 23min bug?