Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

To be fair, in the rest of this week's "Patch Watch"  column Susan does a lot more than rebuke Microsoft for its latest sins. Other sections include:

• Coping with Win7's broken updating system
  • Microsoft's new updating model for Win7/8.1
  • Patching Microsoft's Surface devices
  • Other (mostly Office) nonsecurity updates
  • Regularly updated problem-patch chart [this and the previous section consist of her advice on which updates are safe to install or should be delayed due to possible problems]

The last two sections are regular parts of her column and are a major reason that I give Windows Secrets my credit-card number to get past the paywall. Tthat may be changing soon, though, as their new owners have made some unwelcome changes to WS. Anybody know of another (free or paid) website that systematically reports on the safety of installing each new set of Windows and other Microsoft updates?

--JorgeA

Latest Skype update seen to push forth some language that implies one has to agree to further aggressiveness on Microsoft's part about doing things to your computer without your permission...

Note the part about what Skype may do in the future without you having to do anything (such as refuse).

ScreenGrab_NoelC4_2016_05_26_184148.png

-Noel

13 hours ago, NoelC said:

Latest Skype update seen to push forth some language that implies one has to agree to further aggressiveness on Microsoft's part about doing things to your computer without your permission...

Note the part about what Skype may do in the future without you having to do anything (such as refuse).

ScreenGrab_NoelC4_2016_05_26_184148.png

-Noel

I had to recently switch to Skype when MS decided to shut out the third party access to MSN Messenger a couple years ago. It was fine, even if it uses more RAM than IE does. But it along with anything else, doesn't get updated. The only issue is that if you disable updates, Skype will still download its update but constantly bug you with approving to install it. There is no option to not do updates. I'm still on version 7.16.0.102. If it were possible to use an old version without any bells and whistles, I certainly would. I only need to for IM purposes.

Just curious.  Is Windows XP considered abandoned software?  Is there any reason that XP (COA on the case) can't be updated to a legal Win 7?  Just wondering about the update road of XP to Windows 10?  Some techs have been telling me that the upgrade path just described is illegal because of the COA on the case.  Is that reality or just BS?

13 minutes ago, BudwS said:

Just curious.  Is Windows XP considered abandoned software?  Is there any reason that XP (COA on the case) can't be updated to a legal Win 7?  Just wondering about the update road of XP to Windows 10?  Some techs have been telling me that the upgrade path just described is illegal because of the COA on the case.  Is that reality or just BS?

no, yes (if the XP is OEM), here:

https://allanjsmithie.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/how-to-upgrade-from-xp-to-windows-7-oem/

You might be able to find a legal Windows 7 (or more likely 8) "System Builder" license :dubbio:, but that is not anyway an upgrade, it is a "ful install", see also here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/198358/whats-the-difference-between-the-system-builder-and-full-version-editions-of-windows/

and of course the whole matter is a mess/it is clear enough/it is a mess again:
http://www.howtogeek.com/197232/microsoft-is-misleading-consumers-with-windows-8.1-system-builder-licensing/

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=yKQtWFuwIG0

It makes no sense to buy a proper 7 or 8/8.1 license if the idea is to upgrade downgrade to Windows 10, simply get a Windows 10 license.

jaclaz

2 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I had to recently switch to Skype when MS decided to shut out the third party access to MSN Messenger a couple years ago. It was fine, even if it uses more RAM than IE does. But it along with anything else, doesn't get updated. The only issue is that if you disable updates, Skype will still download its update but constantly bug you with approving to install it. There is no option to not do updates. I'm still on version 7.16.0.102. If it were possible to use an old version without any bells and whistles, I certainly would. I only need to for IM purposes.

Yeah, and it's certainly a potential gaping security hole, since in order for it to work one needs to enable communications of pretty much all types with the world (and then some Animalien-smiley.gif).  I shouldn't think about such things so much; I end up with anxiety.

We use it here at my business to facilitate collaboration, and while Microsoft has degraded it since buying the company (for example, it's no longer reasonable to use it to send anything but the tiniest file), it DOES still give us good 2-way audio for online collaboration sessions.  And yes, instant messaging.

-Noel

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It makes no sense to buy a proper 7 or 8/8.1 license if the idea is to upgrade downgrade to Windows 10, simply get a Windows 10 license.

jaclaz

Good information.  Some people that I talk to just don't want Windows 7 but they have an XP machine.  I won't engage in discussions with them in the future.  Some acquaintances have Win 10 on their PC's and love it (as compared to Win 8).  It's time for me to practice "allowing" while I use my Win 7 and OS X computers.  Computer life goes on and will get more fun in August.

Bud

Update to the MS Product/Company Termination phenomenon, 1,800 more employees out the door according to the local paper.  Another indication that MS is following the IBM life cycle.  Yes, I know that IBM is still in business but it is a shadow of its former self.

XP SP0 (RTM), SP1 and SP2, are abandoned

SP3 is also abandoned officially, but since you can trick registry to think OS is no longer XP SP3 but WinEmbedded POS, you can prolog hotfix download till 2019 i think
and it will work for SP3

6 hours ago, vinifera said:

XP SP0 (RTM), SP1 and SP2, are abandoned

SP3 is also abandoned officially, but since you can trick registry to think OS is no longer XP SP3 but WinEmbedded POS, you can prolog hotfix download till 2019 i think
and it will work for SP3

NONE are "abandoned".

ALL are past End of Support.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows-embedded/2014/02/17/what-does-the-end-of-support-of-windows-xp-mean-for-windows-embedded/

PosReady 2009 extended support will end on April 9, 2019.

jaclaz