Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

3 hours ago, JorgeA said:

edge-share-in-us-100660848-large.idge.jp

That is a horrible graph. Each line is proportionate with each other. 1% is 66px if comparing March (172px) and April (106px) however the zero point on the Y axis is actually closer to 1352.6px! The graph not being in scale, it it were to be put into scale (with a theoretical Y maximum of 25.5%) the image height would not be 420px but ~1772px.

So this also means that the column shadows are incorrect! :angry:

For shame, Digital Analytics Program! :no:

10 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

That is a horrible graph. Each line is proportionate with each other. 1% is 66px if comparing March (172px) and April (106px) however the zero point on the Y axis is actually closer to 1352.6px! The graph not being in scale, it it were to be put into scale (with a theoretical Y maximum of 25.5%) the image height would not be 420px but ~1772px.

So this also means that the column shadows are incorrect! :angry:

For shame, Digital Analytics Program! :no:

Well, there is no actual LAW prohibiting to place the X axis at a Y point different from 0, when variations are so subtle (less than 3% among the values) it is common to use a cut-out  to highlight the variations. (and there is also BTW no actual LAW stating that all graph should be made in X/Y coordiantes with both in the same scale).

Imagine it as a zoom-in of the top part of the bars, or imagine that the bars are  pillars of an ancient greek temple :w00t: that are for around 80% of their height below ground level, this way shadows seem just about right ...

jaclaz

>That is a horrible graph.

It's a WONDERFUL graph depending on your intent.  In this case the obvious intent, by detractors, is to show how utterly poorly Edge is doing.

Hey, why should the Windows 10 promoters be the only ones allowed to use deceptive techniques to show how Windows 10 is doing?

But no matter, we KNOW how utterly, ridiculously, boneheadedly NOT better than prior releases it is.

-Noel

P.S., I don't know how many times I tried to use the forum's quote facility on your actual post - and got Jorge's instead.  But no matter, I can still copy and paste...  I have the impression that somehow MSFN is now more closely associated with Microsoft, given the degradation in performance and usability here.  Is that the case?

1 minute ago, NoelC said:

P.S., I don't know how many times I tried to use the forum's quote facility on your actual post - and got Jorge's instead.  But no matter, I can still copy and paste...  I have the impression that somehow MSFN is now more closely associated with Microsoft, given the degradation in performance and usability here.  Is that the case?

I suspect that, more than anything else, it has to do with the newfangled, modern, cool new forum software that the developers have inflicted on MSFN.

--JorgeA

28 minutes ago, NoelC said:

But no matter, we KNOW how utterly, ridiculously, boneheadedly NOT better than prior releases it is.

-Noel

... still (JFYI) it can handle 3 (three) or more slashes in an URL rectius URI rectius URL, something that many browser simply cannot deal with "correctly" :w00t::
https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/05/11/my-url-isnt-your-url/

the post above and the actual github discussion:
https://github.com/whatwg/url/issues/118#issuecomment-217866196

https://github.com/whatwg/url/issues/118#issuecomment-218236935

is a good example of why the end of the world (as we know it) is near ... :ph34r:

jaclaz

Jaclaz, I would have thought such a discussion (on the merits of accepting more or fewer slashes) would interest you.  But yes, I agree, the end of the high-tech world IS in fact near.  IMO it's mostly because humans seem to think it's okay to strive for something less than perfection in a digital environment.

But beyond that...

OMG!  The internet is fraught with peril!

Or so may think less technical folks.

Just yesterday I accidentally entered www. youtube .com .com (without the blanks) and was informed by a devious site via multimedia and a persistent Javascript pop-up that I had been infected with a virus (which of course I had not).  Don't go there unless you feel ultimately comfortable with your security setup, don't mind rubbing up against a seedy web publisher, and you know what process to terminate to close your browser down forcibly.

For me it was just another site to be added to my blacklist:  Now *.com.com is redirected to 0.0.0.0 and my household is more secure for it.

I suspect that if allowed, Edge would display the exact same BS from that "site".  I really have no intention of enabling Apps just to try it out.

-Noel

Here's what I think is happening. Earlier computers were used for work+entertainment. Ever since devices arrived with the sole purpose of entertainment and less serious tasks, Microsoft has gone insane and now thinks the PC is just an entertainment device. That is why things like fashion design and form have taken over function and solid, objective improvements. Computer science is turning into one of the "arts" stream/field. Since the number of people who only want entertainment and instant gratification by any new crap is far far greater than those who care about things like progress and making it actually work better in all aspects, it is no longer computer science. Nobody seems to care even though in science, better things can be objectively proven. It is now "computer arts".

What I don't understand is for someone who has studied computer science and system software and operating systems, those DEVELOPERS and IT PROs - do they not see how awful Windows has become? Those who cannot tolerate this (like myself) might change their line of work if possible to something that is meaningful and less stupid. :P

xpclient - that's one of the most enlightened posts I have seen yet re Windows 10, I suspect you are absolutley correct.  I did change my line of work to Aviation some time ago and Microsoft IT is just a useful hobby that keeps me in motorbikes.

3 hours ago, xpclient said:

Here's what I think is happening. Earlier computers were used for work+entertainment. Ever since devices arrived with the sole purpose of entertainment and less serious tasks, Microsoft has gone insane and now thinks the PC is just an entertainment device. That is why things like fashion design and form have taken over function and solid, objective improvements. Computer science is turning into one of the "arts" stream/field. Since the number of people who only want entertainment and instant gratification by any new crap is far far greater than those who care about things like progress and making it actually work better in all aspects, it is no longer computer science. Nobody seems to care even though in science, better things can be objectively proven. It is now "computer arts".

What I don't understand is for someone who has studied computer science and system software and operating systems, those DEVELOPERS and IT PROs - do they not see how awful Windows has become? Those who cannot tolerate this (like myself) might change their line of work if possible to something that is meaningful and less stupid. :P

A great post, indeed.

My only quibble is that Microsoft is failing (has failed) even from the design angle. IMO the flat, opaque themes of Windows 8 and 10 just can't hold an esthetic candle to the 3D translucency of Aero Glass. And of course Vista and Win7 allowed you to easily switch to an opaque theme if you liked, whereas that's not possible in 8 or 10 without going into significant contortions (and even those don't necessarily stay working in Win10 as new builds come out).

I truly don't understand what Microsoft thinks they're up to with all the visual and functional changes they've made to Windows in the last five years. None of it has yet become an unqualified success, and a lot of it has proven an unmitigated failure.

--JorgeA

11 hours ago, xpclient said:

Some of us DO see it.  Others, well, must be more like the general public in the Emperor's New Clothes story.

For every one who says, "what the ???" there seem to be one who says "tablets and apps are the future, you're a dinosaur".

Trouble is, it will ultimately bring down all of modern society.  One day just not enough stuff will work, and no one will be able to fix it.  When people can't actually get enough to eat the folks who have kept their feet firmly on the Earth and their heads out of their ... clouds will be sought out once again.

-Noel

For every one who says WTH, there are 10 people who seem to find nothing wrong. They will silence the one critic. Even if we overlook the aesthetic angle, I find it completely unusable. I don't know what to click because everything is flat and hidden with symbols/icon-only UI. It is slow, non-responsive, requires a ton of scrolling because the UI is designed for touch and not mouse. Nothing much can be customized. It doesn't inform me anything about how to operate it - its user friendliness and intuitiveness is zero. Its mouse and keyboard operation is broken. Even Windows 8's UI was better than the crap in 10. I think they can force this crap on everyone but they can't make people buy new PC hardware. After a frustrating experience, everyone will avoid buying PCs altogether. That's the future I see.

Edited by xpclient

7 hours ago, xpclient said:

For every one who says WTH, there are 10 people who seem to find nothing wrong. They will silence the one critic. Even if we overlook the aesthetic angle, I find it completely unusable. I don't know what to click because everything is flat and hidden with symbols/icon-only UI. It is slow, non-responsive, requires a ton of scrolling because the UI is designed for touch and not mouse. Nothing much can be customized. It doesn't inform me anything about how to operate it - its user friendliness and intuitiveness is zero. Its mouse and keyboard operation is broken. Even Windows 8's UI was better than the crap in 10. I think they can force this crap on everyone but they can't make people buy new PC hardware. After a frustrating experience, everyone will avoid buying PCs altogether. That's the future I see.

Reason I why? I still in XP

8 hours ago, xpclient said:

A point that hasn't received much attention in the discussion is that as the public abandons PCs and switches to simple devices like tablets and phones, the foundation for tomorrow's new tech crumbles and disappears. The most prominent characteristic of these simple devices is that there is no self-evident way for the user to tinker with them: therefore, over time the number of (young) people exploring computers and developing an interest in learning how they work and making them do things will dwindle. The result will be less tech understanding and less innovation in computing. There will even be fewer people with a deep enough understanding to create the Candy Crush-type apps that the public loves and that we here love to hate.

We are eating the seed corn.

As an aside, if people do avoid buying PCs altogether, it will mean the end of Microsoft, as they have failed to make a dent in the mobile device market. Cloud services? A dime a dozen. Xbox? Maybe a few million diehards will stick around to keep the Microsoft brand barely alive in the ICU. Bing? Without a healthy market for PCs on which they can pre-install that search engine, the future is grim: there's no compelling reason for anybody to use it and they're not going to spontaneously start switching to it.

--JorgeA