POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@Dclem

NDP30SP2-KB3188734-x86.exe     10/10/2016

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/csa/csa/secu/2016/09/ndp30sp2-kb3188734-x86_1a1e2f42b2aaf963a2d79a8072f08e29243a3330.exe

NDP40-KB3189017-x86.exe           10/10/2016

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/09/ndp40-kb3189017-x86_3100ea6231780b202c1bbc764cd460a8d84bc542.exe

@all

My .NET Framework Lists also updated!

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Hi guys, Dencorso brought up Blocked Updates.  I want to run the ones I have blocked by you guys in the brain trust.  Can you let me know if these ones seem reasonable to have blocked?  Most of these are ones that persistently come up for installation after each reboot.

updates.jpg

Edited by SD73

Yes, you do.
I decided to remove KB3188734 as it was causing the spurious pushing of KB2756918, which even if you hide it, nags you every time you run Windows Update because you've hidden an important update.
I uninstalled KB3188734, and was then told I had to install KB3142046 as well as KB2756918.
The former installed OK, but the latter just kept failing with error 0x643, which appears to indicate a corrupted .NET installation.
I used the .NET repair tool, no difference.
I tried System Restore, which has never worked on this particular system, and didn't this time either, all restore points go through the motions and then it says "your system could not be restored" with no reason given.
As I've been through the incredibly lengthy and tedious process of .NET repairing before, which amounts to completely uninstalling and reinstalling all the versions, I took a chance and simply restored the registry to a point before the two updates were applied.
Fortunately this removed the prompts from Windows Update, and I then simply reinstalled KB3189017 and all seems well.
I think I'll leave KB3188734 off the system unless or until the spurious update prompt can be resolved.

I cannot think of a reason to install .NET 1.1 at this time, so I'd keep that hidden, and also KB2756918, because it's spurious.
The others you've hid are safe to install, IMO. I did and have no issue to report.

Thanks Dencorso, the others I've hidden because they keep looping and reinstalling.  I am not sure if they've actually installed or something blocks them from being installed.  I have tried loading them manually, and they keep popping back in for reinstallation so I've hidden them.  Would you know if any of those are especially dangerous to not have installed?

KB3188734 and KB3189017 contain "hotfix baseliners" (respectively NDP35SP1-KB960043-v4 and NDP40-KB971891) that will switch your .NET installations from the standard GDR branch to LDR/QFE. Not necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of as it seems that these markers can't be uninstalled by normal means and you may have to fully uninstall/reinstall the affected version of .NET if you want to get back to GDR afterwards.

Also, KB3191203 (win32k.sys+gdiplus.dll) is reported to cause problems for NanoCad 5.1 on dual-core laptops, so in theory may affect other applications as well.

Source (Googletrans)

Edited by mixit

Yes, I saw that when I was investigating the KB971891 entry that had appeared in Add/Remove programs after KB3188734 was installed.
Since I uninstalled that update for the reasons above that entry has gone.
The equivalent KB3189017 entry, which is KB960043, does not seem to appear in the list, presumably as it's marked in the registry as being un-uninstallable.
I'm surprised that the option was there to uninstall KB971891 as the article warns you not to!

By the way, IE8 likes "bitching" (can I say that or is it considered a bad verb?) while checking for newer updates via active x. Sometimes I just have to click and it finds all the updates without any issues, while some other times I had to click it twice to get it working... it's pretty normal ;)