POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

@glnz: Yes. 9. (10 actually, but more below). My main machine didn't become a purple mushroom and explode! So I guess you may wish to take the plunge. :yes:

@all: There's also available the "November, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.0, 4 on WES09 and POSReady (KB3189598)", from MS16-120.

@heinoganda: Thanks for the feed-back! :yes: I stand corrected.

Well, unfortunately it is the same .NET Frameworks updates from 10/10/2016 (NDP30SP2-KB3188734-x86.exe and NDP40-KB3189017-x86.exe). Small note, this is now a Security and Quality Rollup! :D
What is missing is an update for both .NET Framework 2 and 4 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-155).

:)

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda and dencorso - thanks. 

heinoganda - you wrote "Make sure the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed!".  Sorry, how do I do that?  If it's not installed, what should I do?

And you are right about svchost.exe - it ran 50% of my CPU for a long time last night, but I let it go.  It's not doing that now.

It seems that XP is finally becoming more vulnerable, now that POS is no longer included in certain .NET updates or mrt.  I no longer do any banking or similar on mine.

In my neighborhood in NYC, a very nice houseware and hardware store suddenly closed - Gracious Home.  It's the only place I know personally that used XP POS terminals.  Maybe our days are numbered.  :wacko:

3 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Well, unfortunately it is the same .NET Frameworks updates from 10/10/2016 (NDP30SP2-KB3188734-x86.exe and NDP40-KB3189017-x86.exe). Small note, this is now a Security and Quality Rollup! :D
What is missing is an update for both .NET Framework 2 and 4 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-155).

1 hour ago, glnz said:

heinoganda and dencorso - thanks. 

heinoganda - you wrote "Make sure the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed!".  Sorry, how do I do that?  If it's not installed, what should I do?

And you are right about svchost.exe - it ran 50% of my CPU for a long time last night, but I let it go.  It's not doing that now.

It seems that XP is finally becoming more vulnerable, now that POS is no longer included in certain .NET updates or mrt.  I no longer do any banking or similar on mine.

In my neighborhood in NYC, a very nice houseware and hardware store suddenly closed - Gracious Home.  It's the only place I know personally that used XP POS terminals.  Maybe our days are numbered.  :wacko:

Probably The certain mentioned vulnerability will not effect pos and XP. Thats all my thought .

really does mrt is need full ?

Edited by Dibya

All OK here except KB3189598 which failed with error 0x645.
As @heinoganda said this is actually a duplicate of KB3188734 and KB3189017, I uninstalled KB3189017 (I never installed KB3188734 as it caused another problem with it producing a nag to install another update (KB2756918) which never stopped being prompted for).
After doing that apparently successfully, I tried to install KB3189598 again, and it failed again, with the same error.
Anyone any ideas?
:unsure:

@glnz

The topic MSI 4.5 we had at an earlier time and MSI 4.5 redistributable (KB942288-v3) was post-installed by your side (I can not memorize with each, itself themselves these points documenting.)! It is mainly a reference to those who do not follow this topic (at least at the end of this topic) and wonder why any problems arise under Windows XP with the POSReady 2009 updates. On the other hand, not only Windows XP is affected by various security gaps, but all Windows versions! As for the outstanding updates for the .NET Framework 2 and 4, there will surely be a later date. Since I think of July 2016, there came massive updates for the .NET Framework which have been missing.
The days of all Windows versions are counted! 
:rolleyes:

@Dave-H

For me I have taken all the updates for the .NET Framework each version (3.5/4) to a rollup together and since I had no problems with the upgrade. Probably has to do with the change to the QFE branch, more I can not say at the moment. :(

Edited by heinoganda

Thanks @heinoganda, I managed to fix the updating error by running the .NET repair tool (the first time I've ever known it to actually work!)
I've now successfully installed KB3189598, but as I feared I'm now being prompted to install KB2756918 again, which I suspect will now keep prompting me to install it no matter how many times I apparently successfully do!
:lol:

Similar to Dave-H's problem, I'm now being prompted to install Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2487367) over and over, even though it installs successfully each time! A reboot didn't help.

Other than hiding the troublesome update, anyone know how to stop this crazy thing?

OK...got the same:
KB2487367 .Net Framework 4 Update runs endless, while installs successfully.....

If there is no simple solution known....I guess I have to deinstall the complete Netframework with the Dotnetfx-Cleanup.
Then reeinstalling net 3.5.1 & 4....and let the updates do the rest....

Edited by kikuk

@kikuk:

If you go to the trouble to uninstall and reinstall .Net Framework 4, please post back and let us know if it fixed the problem with KB2487367. I'd hate to go to all that trouble, then find out it didn't help at all!

Until then, I've just hidden the update on my PC so it'll quit bothering me. I think it really is installed (it shows up in Add/Remove Programs), but WU is just not checking it correctly.

Im getting the continual re-prompts to install KB2756918 (.NET Framework 3.0 SP2 security update) here. Its not showing up in add/remove programs despite apparently installing successfully each time. I've tried using NetFX Repair Tool. Any clues on how to resolve the issue?