POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

1 hour ago, caliber said:

Hi everyone.

I just want to know if the POSReady 2009 can read-write hard drives over 2 TB  like XP 64 ?

thanks

With or without the POSReady '09 updates, XP 32 will support large HDDs but only if they present 4K sectors (not real or emulated 512-byte sectors):
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158361-confirmed-3tb-hdd-usb-drive-on-winxp-32bit/?do=findComment&comment=1046836

36 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

With or without the POSReady '09 updates, XP 32 will support large HDDs but only if they present 4K sectors (not real or emulated 512-byte sectors):
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158361-confirmed-3tb-hdd-usb-drive-on-winxp-32bit/?do=findComment&comment=1046836

But ONLY as storage media (a non AF or "native" 4 Kb sector disk is usually non-bootable because of BIOS and NTLDR limitations. I believe).

There is a third party driver - however - allowing using GPT style disks on XP, just posted about it here:

jaclaz

17 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

the previous reply of yours is just the opposite and he said XP 64 cannot read 2TB+ hard drives.... who tells the truth ? <_<

to date I have being using WD RED 2TB (4Kb) for storage and I had to make use of Acronis WD Align tool the first day

unless I delete MBR partition with http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/  I won't need the Acronis tool anymore to align them even after formating

I'm not interested in external - USB hard drives nor the usage of Seagate DiscWizard tool this is why I asked if POSReady can support 5 TB HDD.

I also want a single partion per drive not 5 TB splitted in 3 parts.... ( 2+2+1)

3 hours ago, caliber said:

the previous reply of yours is just the opposite and he said XP 64 cannot read 2TB+ hard drives.... who tells the truth ? <_<

to date I have being using WD RED 2TB (4Kb) for storage and I had to make use of Acronis WD Align tool the first day

unless I delete MBR partition with http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/  I won't need the Acronis tool anymore to align them even after formating

I'm not interested in external - USB hard drives nor the usage of Seagate DiscWizard tool this is why I asked if POSReady can support 5 TB HDD.

I also want a single partion per drive not 5 TB splitted in 3 parts.... ( 2+2+1)

Access to > 2.2 TB drives through the USB stack (to which at least those from WDC present 4 kiB sectors) is native on XP.
The issue is not in XP nor in XP x64, much less in either x86 or x64 Server 2003...  It's in the MBR standard.
So there's no way to overcome it with 512 byte sectors, and holding your breath won't solve anything.
Aligning has nothing whatsoever to do with that.
You want a single partition per drive, bigger than 2.2 TB. You're free to want anything, but it won't happen. Not now. Not ever.
Initial denial is the first step to eventual acceptance. You've got your answers. Repeating the questions won't change the answers.

2 hours ago, caliber said:

going to wait the reply from other members... I got confused now

It is complicated, but can be managed with a little of patience.

There are two "styles" for partitioning, MBR and GPT.

The MBR has fields 32 bit in size, do they can hold a maximum of 2^32-1 values, since the MBR fields are related to sectors, actual size accessible depends on size of the sectors.

A "normal" disk with 512 bytes sector will hit this limit at 4294967295*512=2199023255040 (the infamous 2.2 Tb) a 4k disk will hit this limit at 4294967295*4096= 17592186040320

The BIOS and most of the initial booting code expects sectors to be 512 bytes and cannot boot on "native" 4K disks.

The GPT has 64 bit fields, thus allowing up to 2^64-1=18446744073709551615 sectors (waaay more than any existing device).

Support for GPT has been introduced with Server 2003/XP64 and it is limited to storage media only (because even if the sector is 512 bytes the BIOS and most of the initial boot code know nothing about the GPT style).

Even if it is not "confined" to EFI/UEFI the GPT stye is part of the EFI/UEFI specifications and the good MS guys insist that you need UEFI to boot from a GPT disk, though this has been proved to be not entirely correct as ways have been found to boot later MS OS (7/8/10) from .vhd on GPT disks on BIOS, but these methods are not supported by MS, they are - to say the least - experimental and very risky, JFYI:
http://reboot.pro/topic/19516-hack-bootmgr-to-boot-windows-in-bios-to-gpt/

When it comes to XP64 (or Server 2003) a number of other things may add complexity, particularly if the same (GPT) disk is accessed by different later OS, since up to XP/2003 the convention was to align partitions on head/cylinder boundary, whilst starting with Vista it changed to "Mb aligned".

Persnally I would not trust the XP (or server 2003) built-in tools to partition a GPT style disk, but I would rather use the excellent Gdisk by Rod Smith:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

once the partitions are created, the built-in format is OK.

jaclaz

P.S.: In certain cases it is possible to use Hybrid MBR/GPT style to boot in BIOS from a GPT style disk, but it is another complex thing which is prone to issues (particularly in case of multi-booting) and due to the way Windows manages Hybrid MBR's you face anyway the 2.2 Tb issue:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

thanks jaclaz.

all those numbers are chinese characters for me, you have to think I'm a little bit ignorant.

so you don't recommend anyone the usage of Paragon/ Hitachi/ Seagate GPT tool.

what do you mean by ''may add complexity'' ??

if one HDD is partitioned with one of those tools it might not be recognized and I could not access the data if I ever plug it on a W7-8-10 computer ?

Gdisk is the susbtitute of Diskpart ? in my personal case why I would ever need this tool ?

btw I don't know why dencorso user claims that XP 64 can't formating in GPT mode...

Edited by caliber

16 minutes ago, caliber said:

btw I don't know why dencorso user claims that XP 64 can't formating in GPT mode...

dencorso claims XP x64 cannot run (= boot and operate) from a > 2.2 TB drive. Just that.
As jaclaz said, there are arcane ways to coerce it to do so, but that's unreliable, so does not count for serious use.
Moreover, all NT 5.x+ OSes, both x86 and x64, from 2k to 8.1, can run from a 64-80 GB partition confortably, which is perfect for fast (forensic-quality) full-image backups, easy and fast to restore, when warranted. So, in dencorso's opinion, it's utterly self-defeating to run multiple OSes and keep all important data together in a singly partitioned huginormous multi-TB single disk. Even an average doorknob can understand that, upon trying.

I never said I wanted to boot Windows from a 2 TB+ 

I just want to purchase higher capacity disks for data storage.

english is not my native language but if you are not able to understand my personal problem do not reply please.

according to jaclaz I have 2 possibilities: keep my XP 32 and make use of a 3rd party software or switch to either XP 64 or Server 2003 SP1

I would like to remain using my XP 32 because the ease to find drivers and software that work properly.

Edited by caliber

My native language is Portuguese, jaclaz's is Italian, and yours may be Catalan or Spanish. I understood you quite well. you asked:

On 12/9/2016 at 4:48 PM, caliber said:

I just want to know if the POSReady 2009 can read-write hard drives over 2 TB  like XP 64 ?

I replied with the short answer to 1st part of the question "I just want to know if the POSReady 2009 can read-write hard drives over 2 TB?"

On 12/9/2016 at 6:04 PM, dencorso said:

No. It's a limitation of the MBR, not of XP. In truth, XP x64 cannot either.

Then I had the bad idea of adding the 2nd remark " In truth, XP x64 cannot either." Because all tyipes of XP and 2003 can read/write external USB MBR drives over 2.2 TB since the drives present themselves to the USB stack as being MBR with 4 kiB sectors. I wasn't thinking about GPT at all, up to this point...  If I had, I'd mentioned GPT support was sort of added to the x64 versions, but I consider it unreliable. Mathwhiz's thoughts followed the same avenue as mine had, as you can see by his own reply.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:12 PM, Mathwiz said:

With or without the POSReady '09 updates, XP 32 will support large HDDs but only if they present 4K sectors (not real or emulated 512-byte sectors): http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158361-confirmed-3tb-hdd-usb-drive-on-winxp-32bit/?do=findComment&comment=104683

Only jaclaz, who has more interest than the others mentioned here on GPT thought about that.

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Support for GPT has been introduced with Server 2003/XP64 and it is limited to storage media only (because even if the sector is 512 bytes the BIOS and most of the initial boot code know nothing about the GPT style).

I can only reply to what I think you meant, and I'm fully cognizant that it may not be what you meant to mean.
Yet I meant no disrespect to you, I just wanted to help. It turns out you were perhaps too much terse, since you failed to mention you wanted to use GPT in a context GPT is not at all obvious. But I guess now all that has been clarified. Sorry. I really didn't mean to confuse you.

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

My native language is Portuguese, jaclaz's is Italian, and yours may be Catalan or Spanish. I understood you quite well. you asked:

I could consider portuguese, spanish, catalan or french as my native languages. LOL (my sister-in law is from São Paulo or so...) but my english level is far from being decent.
you can listen a few words from Neymar speaking catalan ( Ronaldinho Gaucho was a much better player to me) 

Because all tyipes of XP and 2003 can read/write external USB MBR drives over 2.2 TB since the drives present themselves to the USB stack as being MBR with 4 kiB sectors. I wasn't thinking about GPT at all, up to this point...  If I had, I'd mentioned GPT support was sort of added to the x64 versions, but I consider it unreliable. Mathwhiz's thoughts followed the same avenue as mine had, as you can see by his own reply.

I don't like USB external drives because some have their own controller board, in case it becomes damaged you can't take the HDD out and plug it by SATA direct into the computer. there are other external storage drives that are just a case tied to a USB cable.
which ones over 2TB can be formatted and partitioned as a single partition ?
I have had some BSOD on XP 64 when the CPU load was needing more ''juice'' I actually find it unstable.

Yet I meant no disrespect to you, I just wanted to help. It turns out you were perhaps too much terse, since you failed to mention you wanted to use GPT in a context GPT is not at all obvious. But I guess now all that has been clarified. Sorry. I really didn't mean to confuse you.

I have this tool but not sure if it's able to format high capacity drives in GPT mode. http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

Edited by caliber

You're right: Ronaldinho Gaucho is one of the last true soccer geniuses Brazil has ever given to the world. 

The only USB drives we know for sure that work are WDC My Passport and WDC My Book Essential... and IIRR they're precisely that type of external USB HDD that don't have neither a SATA nor an IDE connector, internally, so that they become unusable if taken out of the enclosure... That said, I have four units of the 2 TB My Passports from when they were first launched, and all remain working reliably to this day. Here's a disassembly video, just for the record:

Anyway to sum it up.

1) Using for storage only disks larger than what is natively supported by XP (32 bit) - please read as PosReady 2009 - is "generically" possible
2) to do so such disks need to be partitioned GPT style
3) to create such GPT style partitioning, gdisk is recommended (and nothing else)
4) to be able to access such disks a third party driver is needed, the Paragon GPT loader has been widely tested and works fine

Alternatively to the above and limited - I believe - to USB connected hard disks, some 4K native disks can be used, with the caveat that a number of "old" tools that believe that all disks should have sectors 512 bytes in size may malfunction of give errors.

This said, it is not "smart" to use any of the above solutions on a "production system", as the advantage of having a single disk is vastly inferior to the risks that using "old" software on these devices may create.

Of course if the disk is used - say - just for backups these risks are minimal to none.

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz

Ok, penpals who speak English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, German, Japanese and Esperanto -- I count nine (9) updates, including a few for Office 2003+2007. 

Before I try, are there any

재해

災難

взрывы

or

ריחות רעים

??

As I noted, with POSReady 2009 Entry in Registry, the Automatic Updates or in Internet Explorer 8 at WU/MU are very slow and result in the process "svchost.exe" to an extremely high processor load. To work around this issue, first disable Automatic Updates and restart your computer. Then manually download and install the latest Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 8 in the WSUS catalog. After restarting the Automatic Updates again, WU/MU under Internet Explorer 8 are again possible without problems.

Current updates for Windows XP:

WindowsXP-KB3196348-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3196726-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016    ! Security update for MSI 4.5, query of the existing version in the system does not exist! Make sure the MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed!
WindowsXP-KB3203884-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3204723-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
WindowsXP-KB3204724-x86-XXX.exe              12/11/2016
IE8-WindowsXP-KB3203621-x86-XXX.exe        12/11/2016      incl. Hyperlink Object Library Secure Update (hlink.dll)

:)

Edited by heinoganda