KernelEx for Win2000

Hello mina7601,
You write:

The toolbar of Outlook Express works fine, the problem is that it's just misplaced, and there's also no menu bar.

That what you point out is what I mean with "the toolbar of Outlook Express does not work properly".
So we both mean the same with different words. Hopefully Blackwingcat can fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/24/2023 at 3:20 AM, TheFighterJetDude said:

Hi @blackwingcat,

Would it be possible to backport the kernel mode driver framework 1.11, and microsoft's generic usb3/NVME/SATA, just like it was done for XP ?

Thanks !

Windows 2000 does not work storport driver.
So, it is difficult :3

On 12/9/2023 at 2:00 AM, anton12 said:

Hello mina7601,
You write:

That what you point out is what I mean with "the toolbar of Outlook Express does not work properly".
So we both mean the same with different words. Hopefully Blackwingcat can fix the problem.

It is fixed now try it  https://win2k.org/blog/2023/11/05/post-15103/

Thanks to blackwingcat .

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new monitor 2560x1440@144 and I get  max. 1920x1080@60 with w2k and Exkernel v3.1, nvidia geforce gtx 960, driver 6.14.13.4788.

grafik.thumb.png.92530a69784e3256f031c2daa2f00267.png

If I switch to 2560x1440 - yes, I'm able to do so:

grafik.png.0f60c55090a3e89d138c3dd93654df72.png

Left and right on the monitor is black, in the middle "compressed" image. Same Error occurs with XP x64, no kernel extension (!). Is there a limit in monitor.sys ( I use Plug&Play Monitor)? Perhaps @blackwingcat can help.

Greetings from Austria, Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger

On 1/9/2024 at 10:56 AM, JosefReisinger said:

Same Error occurs with XP x64

Go into NVidia control panel and select 'adjust desktop size and position' then try scaling on display or GPU. The scaling mode is usually by aspect ratio and sizing is adjustable if the monitor overscans but in your case it is underscaning.

Thx for your answer, Goodmaneuver! If I try to adjust with control panel with res 1920x1080, I can see the menu item "2. Change size of desktop", and I can use it. if I use it with 2560x1440, the menu item is gone, instead I see information symbol, but I cannot read the text because of the underscanning. So I will try to put the relevant contents of monitor driver inf. file by hp in monitor.inf, as suggested by Jumper. Monitor driver file was written for win10 64 bit, I tried to install it but failed due to "wrong inf-section", see attachment (I yet changed the [HP.NTamd64] in [HP] for proper installing in w2k). It also failed in XP64. This gave above error message. W2k will install it without error, but then show exclamation mark with code 31.

Greetings Joe

OMEN_32q_QHD.inf

There should be a scaling option somewhere in the Nvidia settings? The scaling setting is universal to all resolutions so you would adjust it when in 1080p. It is most likely that the monitor works better at 60Hz so select that refresh rate before adjusting resolution to 1440p.

grafik.png.b3cb6db5abac337eefe52a31f56080de.png

Of course, I have these options, as you can see, furthermore 2560x1440 is listed as native resolution (PC), but not for the monitor. I succeeded in installing HP monitor-inf-file by deleting the service installation instances in xpx64 and w2k exkernel, but this did not resolve the problem :-((

Greetings Joe

@blackwingcat When you start working on the extended kernel v3.2 these are some things that could possibly be added to it (some people on reddit came up with this list):

functional Security Center and Windows Firewall (backported from Windows XP SP3)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (without license issues)

Microsoft Office 2010 (without any installation issues)

VirtualBox (up to 5.2.44)

VMware Workstation (support up to 10.0.7) and VMware Player (support up to 6.0.7) (without any installation issues)

Add SSE3 support (and still keep SSE2 support)

Full exFAT file system support without any unformatted issues

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.2.223 (without any installation issues)

Avast Free Antivirus (support up to 18.8.2356) without any installation issues

Fixed empty Gadget Gallery "bug" on Windows Sidebar 6.0 for Windows 2000 (even with Extended Kernel) to allow adding gadgets as making it more functional.

Functional Rufus 2.18 (to allow creating bootable USB flash drives on Windows 2000)

Allow MiniChrome 87, 360Chrome 12.0 & 13.5 (based on Chromium 86), and XPChrome (based on Chromium 115) to function and work properly without any crashing/problems on Windows 2000 (even with Extended Kernel).

Steam (version for Windows XP) without closing issues on Windows 2000.

Battle.net for Windows XP

Fixed freezing bug with WindowBlinds 4 (even if PrintWindow function is enabled)

Tuneup Utilities 2013 support

Keyboard bugfix (to allow the keyboard to function) for PCEM v17 on Windows 2000

Latest zoom version for Windows XP (with working screen share) on Windows 2000

Windows Live Essentials 2009 (fully works)

Windows Powershell 2.0

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 (without crashing) on Windows 2000 (CS4 loads on 2000 currently, but then when I create a project it crashes)

GPT disk + UEFI support (ported from XP/32 bit 2003?)

Also, for the Extended Core v1.7:

Support up to 2TB of RAM on the server editions, or at least 128GB on 2000 Pro (2TB on all versions should be fine)

Working VMware Workstation 10.0.7 / VMware Player 6.0.7 drivers

Working VirtualBox 5.2.44 drivers

Working newer USB ethernet / wireless network adapters (that required Windows XP SP2/SP3)

Working Avast Antivirus 18.8.2356 kernel drivers (that required XP SP3)

Add USB 3.0+USB 3.1+USB 3.2, and NVMe support for Intel/AMD and other manufacturer motherboards

Could this be done eventually? Thank you