KernelEx for Win2000

On 7/19/2023 at 2:10 PM, piotrhn said:

Try install new Printer:rolleyes:. Last working ver on 2000 is from build Whistler 2410

Better update: Disk Defraggler from build 2296/2410/2456 (compatible with 2000) DLLS: drgui, dfrgres, dfrgsnap

no problem even server 2003 and XP can work , there are two missing functions in NTPRINT.DLL : PSetupSetDriverPlatform
PSetupFreeMem blackwingcat will add them  ;)

I liked what Blackwingcat did, use the XP and 2003 dll's as comdlg32.dll and printui.dll ..., it is really interesting and I see it a big step forward.

2 hours ago, piotrhn said:

Can somebody confim. Change Icon view with new comdlg32 is broken? try with: notepad/paint/etc

icon_selector.png

Yes, can confirm. And changing icon view while at My Pictures folder shows a Internet Explorer script error.

3 hours ago, windows2 said:

The problem of add printer has resolved in the latest version of extended kernel 3.1j5.

Thanks, but a new bug has arose:

1-Xl-UYWy-Hvj.png

The dialog box buttons are now in Japanese.

hey, sorry if this is not the right place to talk about this, but mypal68 (v68.13.2b) doesn't seem to be working for me with v3.1h of KernelEx, when I attempt to open it I get the error "mypal.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.". MSVCTR is set to NT6 Series and COMCTL32 is set to 5.82 Series, the rest of the extended kernel options are the defaults. The computer is a Dell Latitude D630 (Core 2 Duo T7250, 320GB 5400RPM HDD, 4GB DDR2 RAM)

• 2 weeks later...

@piotrhn Update: changing icon view is fixed in extended kernel v3.1j6, but unfortunately, in this version, comdlg32.dll and printui.dll are back to their Windows 2000 versions. (after they were Windows XP versions)

Edited by mina7601

On 7/28/2023 at 5:22 AM, LostEntrepreneur439 said:

update - i got mypal68 to work, windows2 said it worked for them and on page 99 of this topic they posted their kernelex options, so i tried applying them to my kernelex, and mypal68 is now working.

*removed*

Edited by woi

Hi. I'm trying to localize Extended Kernel in a language other than English and Japanese.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1989811.html - Although @blackwingcat wrote localization guide but honestly, it's definitely better than nothing, but not written in detail. Unless you're familiar with the PE format and the components of Windows, it's probably hard to understand.

So I'm tracking the sources of language-dependent files to get correct ImageBase address and Resources) and trying to follow the guide properly. (The first version of guide was written in 2014, but no one seems to have followed it properly so far :huh:) My goal is to make a complete easy-to-follow localization guide within this year.

image.png.7653ed6245e6c72c0287414a7ef5b184.png  (a little spoiler)

More information coming soon!

Edited by R1600

3 minutes ago, R1600 said:

I'm trying to localize Extended Kernel in a language other than English and Japanese.

Here's how I did it a few months ago:

1. I unpacked the contents of the English version of KEX into a separate folder.

2. Went through every single .dll and .exe of the package with Resource Hacker, replacing the contents of "Menu", "Dialog", "String Table" and "Message Table" with the contents from already localized system-native versions of these .dlls.

3. In update.inf I changed the "LangTypeValue=" so that the installer worked.

And that's it. Didn't even repackage it back or anything, just ran setup.exe and installed it. Editing all the files took me awhile, but it worked in the end.

37 minutes ago, tyukok said:

Here's how I did it a few months ago:

1. I unpacked the contents of the English version of KEX into a separate folder.

2. Went through every single .dll and .exe of the package with Resource Hacker, replacing the contents of "Menu", "Dialog", "String Table" and "Message Table" with the contents from already localized system-native versions of these .dlls.

3. In update.inf I changed the "LangTypeValue=" so that the installer worked.

And that's it. Didn't even repackage it back or anything, just ran setup.exe and installed it. Editing all the files took me awhile, but it worked in the end.

Basically I want to do the same thing. However, BWC said that without ImageBase address and other changes, he could not guarantee normal operation and full localization.
You can find that some files (for example, dnsapi.dll) don't have resource (except for version info), but the Japanese and English versions have different ImageBases.