Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Anyone noticed Microsoft Security Essentials stopped updating on 22th April on XP with PosReady 2009 mod? Even manual updating doesn't work. Updates are downloaded but not installed.
  3. You can't delete your email account without closing the entire AOL account, which means losing access to all AOL services, including AIM instant messenger. Furthermore, your emails and address book are deleted permanently after 90 days; you can't recover the account after 90 days. You can reactivate AOL and get the address book back if you log in using your AOL username and password Step 1 : Visit the AOL My Account page. Point your browser to myaccount.aol.com. This will load the sign in page. Step 2: Sign in with your AOL username and password. You'll need to log in with you AOL account before you can make any changes to your subscriptions. If you don't know your AOL login information, click "Forgot password?" Enter in your AOL user name or the email address associated with your account, and fill out the CAPTCHA. You'll receive an email at your associated address with a link to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register, you'll need to use that email service's account recovery services. If you don't have an email address associated with your account, you won't be able to reset your password. Step 3: Click the "Manage My Subscriptions" link. You can find this in the tabs above all those mysterious links to your account options near the top of the page but below the graphical banner stating the section of the page that you are currently on (My Account). Step 4: Wait while your subscriptions load. It may take up to a minute for your subscriptions to load on the page. Step 5: Click the "X Cancel" button underneath the subscription you want to cancel. This will open a new page detailing the services you are canceling. Step 6: Select a reason from the drop-down menu. AOL asks that you select a reason for your cancellation. Select the most applicable one, or choose "Other reason." Any reason you pick will have no bearing on the cancellation process, but you must pick one to continue. Step 7: Click "Cancel AOL" or "Cancel Billing." You'll receive a message that your subscription AOL services have been canceled. If you were paying for AOL, you'll be able to access your services all the way until the end of your billing cycle. Once your account hits the billing date, you will lose access to your AOL services. Web Source : https://www.aolhelpnumber.com/how-to-delete-aol-account
  4. @MagikGimp thnk you, I am quite familiar with Torrents and P2P
  5. Some information. The latest version of Adobe Air for Vista is 29.0.0.112. Starting with version 30, this software does not work on XP and Vista. Sound Forge 13 runs on Vista, if you use the portable option (if you find it). Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do it legally, so I don’t provide links. Just information for those interested. I also have two files - jdk-9.0.3+9_windows-x86_bin.exe and jre-9.0.4_windows-x86_bin.exe . They are successfully installed on 32-bit Vista. But! They were released, and then immediately removed from public access, and officially they are not available. However, in fact, if you need Java 9 on Vista x86, you can get it. And these are the latest versions for the x86 platform. There are no updates and never will be. Also chinese UC Browser, PC-version - works on Vista. It is based on Chromium 55.
  6. I always check the version number installed before I update Flash by looking in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder. Before yesterday's update an old version of Shockwave was still installed, there was a Shockwave folder alongside the Flash folder in \Macromed\. After the update, the \Shockwave\ folder was gone and an empty \Temp\ folder in it's place. I assume Adobe uninstalled Shockwave with the latest Flash update. As for Java, I never installed it. As far as I can see, the only thing I am missing are the emojis and features like Bold and Italic lettering in my Yahoo e-mail account. One less security hole to worry about.
  7. Which one should I download first? or using only the latest update will work.
  8. I'll probably be reprimanded if I start posting direct links but, suffice it to say, torrents are your answer unless you're prepared to purchase a legit copy. I assume you don't know what I'm talking about so start here- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients Once you're all set up I would suggest you go searching on https://thepiratebay.org where you'll find a lot of stuff but the one with the most peers is likely your best bet. If you live in certain countries you'll need a VPN to get access to that site as "this is illegal you know". Oh and you'll be downloading a disk image which you'll need to open with specific software too. If this is all sounding much too complicated then you're probably more suited to the 2nd hand market I'm afraid!
  9. Yesterday
  10. Wow, thank you so much @actinium, and sorry for the delay in my acknowledgement, I didn't get any e-mail notification of your post! So, those 13 cab files are the latest (and last) versions of all the 2007 Compatibility Pack updates, and the exe files in OneDrive_2019-05-19.zip are the same thing just in a different format? I already have the KB2526297 SP3 installation file. Do I need the file format converters file, which is the other one that says it's missing from the zip file, due to having been too large?
  11. Thank you both for the information about FileZilla in Windows Vista, hate to hear it no longer works Updated the list to reflect this: Thank you for the information! TeamViewer shall remain on the list as ONG, and f.lux and Geekbench have been added also:
  12. there is still alot of sites rely on Flash, I do remember shockwave well, I'm sure the online game(s) i played like the White room , the Crimson room need this to work shock was needed to play some media flles and similar thing we get now these GIFS etc
  13. Using the latest version of Startisback, when I enable the custom start menu coloring and taskbar coloring, I choose to make it black. So I get the HUE SAT LUM RED GREEN and BLUE to 0, which makes everything black. But for some reason the HUE goes back to 160 value after hitting apply. Is this a bug if so I would like to report it. It did not do this on the previous version of startisback.
  14. Thank you for the information about MSVC VistaLover After installing it, the error disappeared, however, the program still does not work : As you can see, yet another artificial block implemented to keep the software from potentially working perfectly fine in Windows Vista Programs like this aren't worth the time of day, in my opinion. I recommend GIMP 2.8.22 instead of this garbage. Although GIMP no longer supports Windows Vista, it at least somewhat had merit, as it does not work in Vista due to missing Win7+ functions instead of being artificially blocked:
  15. Macromedia certainly originally developed Flash, I don't know about Shockwave. They were taken over by Adobe after Flash became hugely successful and pretty ubiquitous on the web. Sites like YouTube completely relied on it in their early days. Things have moved on now finally though, and even Flash's days as a supported technology are numbered. Its downfall was that it was too easily exploited by the bad guys, hence the need for its constant security updates. HTML5 has made it obsolescent anyway, but it will be decades I suspect before Flash disappears from the web completely, if it ever does! What will kill it for practical purposes is when all the current browsers refuse to use it.
  16. APologies for my absence FilediskA is exactly what I need. i.e.The ability to load / autorun any .iso in one double-click proceduce (for machines without iso tools previously installed). The relevant iso is the only way to install the software (its distributed this way). Those who download the iso may not know how to mount it and so would apprecite the simplicity of a single exe next to the iso itself, which can be distributed alongside the iso. Upon trying FilediskUA, the issue arises that upon clicking the iso to mount it (after FilediskUA has been installed) the iso doesn't autoplay / autorun the installer splash screen. I seek a way to run autorun automatically and this likely would require a separate vbs/cmd script, in turn necessitating a self extracting archive. However as I have already expressed in previous post, SFX can either unload files into current dir. or into a temp dir. More ideal is by way of latter, where files [filediskUa installer, script] are unloaded to temp directory, where the script of which not only installs filediskUA and subsequently mounts the relevant iso (thats beside the SFX) but also runs the autoplay of that iso - and that all of these steps occur upon clicking the SFX.exe. The quesiton is, how may a script in the now temp folder 'retrieve' the directory [nominally a string] from which the SFX that spit it out ab inito, is located? What i've done so far: In a folder theres a custom installer, itself a SFX, which installs IMDISK without reboot. Separately theres a cmd script, which when clicked mounts the iso + launches the autorun - this script resides adjacent to the iso. In this state, there are 3 files, 2 if not counting the iso. To merge those 2 would be ideal. Open to all suggestions. I should mention this should work on all windows XP to present. Edit: filediskuA does not appear to work and is temperamental when mounting.
  17. yeah I gathere shock and flash are different wasnt shock mainly used for these games that we used to see back in the 98SE days and software plug-in for viewing multimedia and video games in web pages wasnt it also known as macromedia,
  18. Shockwave and Flash are both from Adobe, but are completely different things. I haven't seen a site using Shockwave for years, I've no idea how widely it was ever used, and I'm amazed that Adobe still kept supporting it until very recently. Java on sites is becoming very rare as well, and you don't really need it now at all.
  19. I long for a time people stop saving as docx and save as .doc. there are zero gains from the docx format over doc (regarding MS word) I do use the compatibility pack on XP to open docx. All this itteration bullcrap will one day be looked back upon by future generations and viewed as pretty dumb and unecessary. The only reason for software updates is mortages and hungry mouths. period. FYI I just use the main download from MS website. never had a problem using MSo 2003 thus far
  20. I used Office XP (2002) for many years before finally updating to Office 2010. Office XP won't open the newer .docx Word documents generated by more recent versions of Word unless the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack is installed. I still use that configuration on my netbook, and on Windows 98 on my main machine (Office XP, despite its name, is the last version that works on Windows 98!) The Compatibility Pack is out of support now. Office 2010 is very good on XP, at least it was until recent security updates broke it! It's the last version to work on XP, and the first version to have a 64 bit version, which I use on Windows 10.
  21. Nanobot informs me elsewhere, that DoaJC_Blogger guy is working to bring Chromium 76 to Win Xp: https://browser.taokaizen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3219#p3219 https://browser.taokaizen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2766
  22. Seems I am behind as the version of Office I have is Office XP how does Office 2010 perform on XP ? is it worth updating, I know alot of newer files created with newer office won;t open in Office XP also does anyone have a link to a Full Office XP, as I need it again the install CD i had has gone corrupt
  23. is this Shockwave 12.3.5.205 the same as Flashplayer ?, I have flashplayer/shockwave version 32.0 ??? as for Java mine is still quite old never bother to update as at time couldnt find a comparible version for XP Java Deployment Tool Kit 7.0.100 version 10.10.2 and Java Platform SE 7 U10 version 10.10.2 is it worth updating Java or leave as is, as not had a problem I do have shockwave for Director no idea what it is for or remember installing it
  24. I use Mbam version 2.3.173.0 and it seems ok, I have even managed to register it (for free) and get full licence version, the defs update ok, Not had a problem as of yet If anyone wants to get full licence I can/could upload to dropbox, prett simple procedure, NO installing of any kind
  1. Load more activity