Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I find it interesting that the original MS proxy servers did not pick up the breach, but it was only when they were switched to WebSense proxy servers that the situation was discovered. But likewise, I'm a bit impressed. Cheers and Regards
  3. Today
  4. I'm not even mad. I'm impressed. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/five-inmates-built-two-pcs-and-hacked-a-prison-from-within/ Five Inmates Built Two PCs and Hacked a Prison From Within By Catalin Cimpanu February 23, 2018 Five inmates from the Marion Correctional Institution (MCI) built two computers from spare parts, hid them in the ceiling of a training room closet, and used them to hack into the prison's network. Their actions were discovered in July 2015, when the prison's IT staff switched internal proxy servers from Microsoft to WebSense (now part of Forcepoint). These servers, designed to monitor and report suspicious traffic, immediately started reporting issues. Prison IT staff started receiving weird alerts In the beginning, MCI admins received reports that the user account, belonging to a prison contractor, was exceeding daily traffic quotas. While other employees had also surpassed their daily traffic threshold, the problem was that these reports were coming in the days when that employee was off duty. Things got weirder a few days later when admins received reports that the same employee was attempting to avoid the traffic monitoring proxies. At this point, the prison's IT staff decided to investigate further. Their suspicion that something was wrong was confirmed moments later when they traced back the traffic to a computer with the name "-lab9-", a name inconsistent with the prison's internal computer naming scheme. Computers hid in a closet's ceiling The prison staff started an investigation and tracked suspicious network traffic to port 16 of a switch located in the prison's P3 training room. When they got to the switch, IT staffers followed the network cable plugged into port 16 to a nearby closet, and up into the ceiling. Removing the ceiling tiles, prison employees found two fully-working computers, placed on two pieces of plywood. Inmates used parts from prison's recycling program According to a report released yesterday by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction's (ODRC), the agency says it identified the five prisoners who built the PCs. The five inmates managed to build their two PCs because they were part of the prison's Green Initiative program where they worked in trash management and electronics recycling. More at the link. I wonder if they would have been caught (or if it would have taken them longer to get caught) had they used a more consistent name for their pruno-PCs.
  5. Hey, thanks for responding to my post. But the answer is no, it has always involved the same message -- the one i gave in the OP. Interestingly, last year, it also happened at the NASA Astronomy Picture of the day page: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html In that case, it took them 2-3 months to fix it, But i'm glad they did -- it's one of my favorite eye-candy stops!
  6. Intel Did Not Tell U.S. Cyber Officials About Chip Flaws Until Made Public http://www.oann.com/intel-did-not-tell-u-s-cyber-officials-about-chip-flaws-until-made-public/ February 22, 2018 By Stephen Nellis (Reuters) – Intel Corp did not inform U.S. cyber security officials of the so-called Meltdown and Spectre chip security flaws until they leaked to the public, six months after Alphabet Inc notified the chipmaker of the problems, according to letters sent by tech companies to lawmakers on Thursday. Current and former U.S. government officials have raised concerns that the government was not informed of the flaws before they became public because the flaws potentially held national security implications. Intel said it did not think the flaws needed to be shared with U.S. authorities as hackers had not exploited the vulnerabilities. Intel did not tell the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team, better known as US-CERT, about Meltdown and Spectre until Jan. 3, after reports on them in online technology site The Register had begun to circulate. US-CERT, which issues warnings about cyber security problems to the public and private sector, did not respond to a request for comment. Details of when the chip flaws were disclosed were detailed in letters sent by Intel, Alphabet and Apple Inc on Thursday in response to questions from Representative Greg Walden, an Oregon Republican who chairs the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The letters were seen by Reuters. Alphabet said that security researchers at its Google Project Zero informed chipmakers Intel, Advanced Micro Devices Inc and SoftBank Group Corp-owned ARM Holdings of the problems in June. It gave the chipmakers 90 days to fix the issues before public disclosing them, standard practice in the cyber security industry intended to give the targets of bugs time to fix them before hackers can take advantage of the flaws. Alphabet said it left the decision of whether to inform government officials of the security flaws up to the chipmakers, which is its standard practice. Intel said it did not inform government officials because there was “no indication that any of these vulnerabilities had been exploited by malicious actors,” according to its letter. Intel also said it did not perform an analysis of whether the flaws might harm critical infrastructure because it did not think it could affect industrial control systems. But Intel said that it did inform other technology companies that use its chips of the issue, according to its letter. Intel, Alphabet and Apple could not immediately be reached for comment. AMD, ARM, Microsoft Corp and Amazon.com Inc also responded to questions from lawmakers. Microsoft said that it did inform several antivirus software makers about the flaws “several weeks” ahead of their public disclosure to give them time to avoid compatibility issues. AMD said that Alphabet extended the disclosure deadline from the standard 90 days twice, first to Jan. 3, then to Jan. 9. ...
  7. Yesterday
  8. Google removes "View Image" button

Good news, there is already a Firefox and Chrome extension, as well as a Greasemonkey script to restore the View Image button. https://github.com/devunt/make-gis-great-again
  9. Hello, MSFN!

Finally, I am here officially. I have been using this forum (via google) to search for info about patches and and things related to Windows 98 SE that are recent. I am fed up with forced updates and with bloatware and with the need to have 4 Gb of RAM just to load an OS and the computer to be slow. I am aware that some updates are necesary, but only the ones I CHOSE to install and if I need them. So the unofficial updates made by the guys here are more than welcomed. I truly apreciate the efforts and dedication of you guys to keep this great old OS alive even today, in 2018 (20 years after its release) I really want windows 98 SE installed on my computers instead of windows XP or 7 (though XP is good, but 98 is smaller and faster and does not consume resources. All I ask from Windows 98 SE is NOT BSODs and NO stupid "illegal operation" bul*****. Otherwise, Windows 98 SE is the best OS besides some Linux distros, that I am to use alongside with win98 SE. I have finally decided to join this forum to make sure I don' tmiss any new info and cool things done to and about windows 98. I thank you all who worked to make this OS work in 2018 on more modern hardware and made it safer to use and more stable. And I am looking forward for a day when I can make a donation to this forum.
  10. Google removes "View Image" button

The only problem which I haven't been any to figure out is on IE11. I do use images at work for certain things and though I managed to install Chrome and Firefox on a machine that typically only allows IE, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent view image or a proper save as function on it as opening as a new tab just takes you to the image's website anyway. So you are part right in that regards and have noticed since that it does work via Firefox but even with these changes, I truly don't know how it's going to stop those who really want to use images anyway. It's almost as bad as websites that disallow right clicking to copy and paste which can generally be thwarted by the good ol' keyboard shortcuts but sometimes when you want the information on a website to print out but not all that other hub-bub for use later on, it's just another one of those things that would be nice to have but now you have to go through an extra step or two to get it. Reminds me of the good old days of the Odyssey of Hyrule and trying to figure out how the heck to get that Triforce in Ocarina of Time. Many of pages printed with things to try that turned out to be an utterly complete waste of time. lol (It was one of those sites that had right click disabled but back then websites weren't so ad-ridden and full of bloated javascript that threw up stalled warnings and slowed everything down)
  11. windows 7 programs supported version

Okay we don't need the thread for a year or two or three and for 8.1 for four or five or six
  12. One of my two Ethernet network connections isn't working either. The main one connected to my router is fine (which is why I haven't noticed the issue until now) but the second connection that I use to transfer files to and from my netbook now isn't working. It just says "cable disconnected" all the time. If I boot into Windows 10 instead of XP it all still works fine.
  13. It's tied to Plug and Play, which I've disabled, but having no sound and no USB did not work out for me.
  14. @dencorso Thanks for the recommendation for SwiftSearch Den! My Internet Security program immediately blocked it as a suspicious file when I ran it, and I've had to whitelist it. I'm not sure why that would be, as I'm sure it's "clean". Yes, it's blisteringly fast, such a shame it will only search NTFS drives, as some of my drives are FAT32, including two of my three system drives and my main archive drive.
  15. Hi everybody... 8 years late, sorry for the resurrection I hope not to bother anybody, but I came across this page today looking for a solution for this and I didnt test the last response answer cuz I didnt saw it in time but I found a way that... at the end may help for some other stuff and I found this solution quite elegant, structured, and pretty much bullet proof. So first of all, my solution goes around the problem, instead of using SFX shortcut language, you make your own Batch Script. So to examplify, in my case I had a Batch Program that work over the hosts file, finding if there is a certain config and if its commented or not, then you can add that config, comment or make the config available, so anyways, the point was to solve a work trouble and I wanted to make a self-extract specific to C:\... lets say its a folder named "Folder1" inside the %HOMEDRIVE% (usually C:\), then the batch is batch.cmd and I have an batch.ico. So then I made another batch, lets name it install.cmd inside that .cmd I have to: 1 - Put a shortcut of the batch.cmd in user desktop 2 - Erase the install.cmd So if you search how to make a shortcut with CMD you will find that its a bit much for something so simple so... instead of that, you just make a shortcut of batch.cmd inside Folder1, configure the .ico in properties and thats it you have the shortcut made, and it will be self-extracted alongside everything else. So, inside install.cmd you writte: @ECHO OFF REM Go to main folder cd %HOMEDRIVE%\Folder1 REM Copy Batch.lnk to user profile desktop copy "batch.lnk" %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ REM Delete Folder1's batch.lnk del "batch.lnk" REM Delete itself del shortcut.cmd So, note that I use "copy" instead of move for no particular reason in this case, but if you copy it then you can copy it again to somewhere else if you want, but you can definitelly enchange copy + del for move. Also, have in mind that I'm using the global variable %USERPROFILE% since this SFX should work for any of my co-workers and work just fine. And at the end it self-destruct. Done you have your Folder1 with everything you need, lets make the SFX in advanced SFX options you have to go to Installation instead of advanced, there in the first text box is where you have to put the path of the install.cmd in this case C:\Folder1\install.cmd The beauty of this is that in that install.cmd you can add anything else that you want, its not only to make a shortcut, make a shortcut with this is just an example of something that could be so much more, for example, you could put a .dll file, move the .dll file to %windir%\system32 then use regsvr32 dllname.dll to register that .dll if you need it, or add a string in the registry, or execute the batch.cmd after installation, maybe you have a batch.cmd with a batch.conf file with variables that then in batch.cmd you SET with a FOR /F, so the install.cmd could check things like, ip, user name, pc name, windows architecture, etc and then change variables in batch.conf. There is no end on what you could do with this method, for me is a really good work around to solve a simple problem and at the same time the solution opens up itself to a wide range of possibilities. Best Regards. And sorry for my bad English
  16. @dencorso Works just fine.
  17. Try to open files that are inside the usb drive from the VM.
  18. @dencorso Cannot reproduce it yet. I formatted the usb stick as NTFS on my Windows 10 host copied some files to it. Then I safely removed the drive from host, and replugged the usb stick to the host. Attached usb drive to VM. Successfully copied files to the disk in the XP VM. The same happens without prior safe removal.
  19. DEP has nothing to do with it. I've always run with DEP disabled (/noexecute=alwaysoff) since I started using XP (~ 2005).
  20. Hi im Steve

Hi i'm Steve! I just a random person who loves to screw around whit OSes,virtualization,coding,video editing,hardware ect
  21. Can you PM me with some instructions? I'd like to know more details about the method. @everyone I need a reliable method to reproduce the ntfs.sys issues you faced. On the VM I use for debugging with the latest updates and SoftICE (XP SP4) the security descriptor errors do not occur. Just copied the entire Program Files dir to my flash drive. Next test will be with DEP enforced, to see if this has anything to do with it.
  22. Your fav version of Windows 9x?

98SE. No wonder I've used it as my main day-to-day OS for about 15 years!
  23. How to install Windows 7 from USB 3.0?

Yes, both on usb 2.0.
  24. Wow! I wasn't cognizant you were the developer, @wfunction! Your tool rocks! But you do know that already, I guess... Anyway, sorry: I'll certainly report any further issue at the project page... I didn't because I'm tired of "XP? update your OS!" replies I get everywhere, my bad. I see now you're striving to keep it compatible all the way throughout the Win32 capable OSes. And yes, I do confirm 5.0.3 is working great on XP, so thank you! And, BTW, @Dave-H do try it, it's really great! And it's portable: no installation needed.
  25. No auto-update for my builds as usual. People can make their auto-updater BTW.
  26. Your fav version of Windows 9x?

Windows 95 v4.00.950 And Windows 98 v4.10.1998
  27. Can you implement auto update in KM Goanna?[it would be great for business user's]
  28. Your fav version of Windows 9x?

Windows 98 SE ( as I only have this one . My granny said she loves 95 more)
  1. Load more activity