Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Milkinis said:

Thanks but I already know that all. I was one of the first to be involved in testing that re-basing when @UCyborg suggested this method for Chrome360 after my observations in terms of its enormous RAM usage on my old Windows XP computer. :P The good is that Thorium is already well configured inherently when it comes to RAM consumption. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I still get out of memory crashes on tabs with Thorium, but it's nowhere near as bad as Supermium was.
Supermium may have improved in that respect of course, I haven't yet updated from version 122.0.6261.85.
My 360Chome (13.5.2036.0) does use a rebased chrome.dll of course.
:)

Until now, I couldn't observe such crashes here in my Thorium testing installation. :no:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

what version

Using Thorium_SSE4_122.0.6261.168_WINXP_x64.zip for XP x64, Vista & 7 (multiboot, so literally the same copy). Will try Thorium_AVX2_123.0.6312.133.zip in Vista 64 & post results in a few.

UPDATE: tried AVX2 (this box is 4770k), AVX & even SSE3 flavors on W7, all from https://github.com/Alex313031/Thorium-Win/releases. Each one gives me the "not a valid win32 app" error.

Screenshot_8.png

AVX2 flavor performs roughly the same on W10: 144, 156, 145

The weird thing is on W10, the XP/legacy version (Thorium_SSE4_122.0.6261.168_WINXP_x64.zip) benches better (196, 200, 204) than the AVX2 version meant for Win10. 

In Vista extended kernel (Nov. 2022), i get 

Screenshot_3.png

Supermium on Vista extended kernel (Nov. 2022): 199, 203, 200

Thorium (XP SSE4) on Vista extended kernel: 192, 197, 198

Edited by 66cats

7 hours ago, 66cats said:

In Vista extended kernel (Nov. 2022), i get 

Screenshot_3.png

Probably Thorium author assumes you have the latest kernel from March 2023 and didn't bother to adjust to the older version.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sometimes the "not a valid win32 app" error is nothing more than the .exe not properly "signed".

... 99.99% of times :P, when the OS generates that error upon trying to launch an ".exe" file, it means that the "Sub System Version" value inside the EXE's PE Header has been set (by the compiler) to a figure higher than the one corresponding to the current OS (e.g. XP=5.1, XPx64=5.2, Vista=6.0, Win7=6.1, Win8=6.2, Win8.1=6.3, Win10/11=10.0); using special software to modify that field of the PE header to an appropriate value for the current OS will allow for the executable to launch, unless some other kernel dependency isn't being fulfilled (in which case the OS will generate an appropriate ERROR message, different to the initial one :P ) ...

On 5/5/2024 at 10:26 PM, 66cats said:

UPDATE: tried AVX2 (this box is 4770k), AVX & even SSE3 flavors on W7, all from 
https://github.com/Alex313031/Thorium-Win/releases.
Each one gives me the "not a valid win32 app" error.

Below screengrab is with the AVX2 Thorium variant: 

wFBgkxw.png

TL;DR; ALL the builds you tried have been configured to require Win10+ out-of-the-box :whistle: ...

Edited by VistaLover

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

the "Sub System Version" value inside the EXE's PE Header has been set (by the compiler)

it's not software developer's fault if the compiler doesn't support W7 anymore. 

Edited by Milkinis

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

it's not software developer's fault if the compiler doesn't support W7 anymore. 

No, developer should check before saying it is supported.

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

No, developer should check before saying it is supported.

the build releases from the thorium-legacy repo do support W7 so he's likely to be using two different compilers.

On 5/6/2024 at 2:59 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sometimes the "not a valid win32 app" error is nothing more than then .exe not properly "signed".

Of course not, but it's not a bug deal, just open with CFF Explorer and change PE Header to 5.1 or smth. But! I guess there was a reason he blocked it from running on OS below 10.

12 hours ago, Milkinis said:

so he's likely to be using two different compilers.

... Or, more probably, using the same compiler but with different compilation scripts/configuration, depending on the OS the final binaries are targeting :dubbio:...