ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2

7 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

For me personally, the cutoff point is 1080p, but I can certainly see someone being perfectly happy with 720p or even 480p.

Agreed!

With this discussion, I spent the last half hour hunting for 1080p+ videos - I could find very few!  Yes, 480p to 720p is "huge" and 720p to 1080p is "small".

I had to search and search and search to find those rare nuggets of gold for anything higher than 1080p.  I guess I literally just don't have a clue as to what to even hunt for.

Most require DRM (an assumption, hit with a blank screen saying my browser cannot play the video yet the link tells me my browser IS UP TO DATE [faking UA, of course]) which doesn't work with 360Chrome anyway.

I guess I need some reference videos as I can't find them.  Just what the heck are you guys watching via YouTube on 360Chrome?

I did find a ton of sitcoms from the '80s that I've bookmarked for later enjoyment - but being from the '80s, these were literally 360p MAX, some even MAX'D at 240p.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, Karla Sleutel said:

Thanks, it's the same for me. I've just come across Magic Actions for YouTube™

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related

Is this one good? Safe to use?

Looks impressive and has a very large number of downloads.  I plan to try this one later.

2 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related

Sorry, this one is not for me.  Mileage may vary, of course.  But the settings/options is not LOCAL and has to go through the internet.

Doesn't mean anything "bad" is going on, it's just "not for me".

edit - I didn't even get as far as playing any YouTube videos to even "see" what it does, the non-local options page and donation page popup alone is a showstopper for my liking.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

With this discussion, I spent the last half hour hunting for 1080p+ videos - I could find very few!  Yes, 480p to 720p is "huge" and 720p to 1080p is "small".

I had to search and search and search to find those rare nuggets of gold for anything higher than 1080p.  I guess I literally just don't have a clue as to what to even hunt for.

Most require DRM (an assumption, hit with a blank screen saying my browser cannot play the video yet the link tells me my browser IS UP TO DATE [faking UA, of course]) which doesn't work with 360Chrome anyway.

I guess I need some reference videos as I can't find them.  Just what the heck are you guys watching via YouTube on 360Chrome?

I did find a ton of sitcoms from the '80s that I've bookmarked for later enjoyment - but being from the '80s, these were literally 360p MAX, some even MAX'D at 240p.

No sitcom, more like a skit. As an example, the playback isn't smooth for me with chrome360.1030.

"Space Station Broadcast - SNL - An unexpected chain of events occurs while Captain Ed McGovern (Steve Carell) live streams from the International Space Station to children's classrooms across America...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pf_Ue9gdw

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pf_Ue9gdw

That one plays smooth for me in 1080p (its maximum here in 360Chrome, did not check if it goes higher in other browsers).

Even on the ancient Core2 Quad Q6700 with 4GB RAM that I am on at the moment.

Well, "smooth" other than the actors acting like they are in zero-gravity.  At least it "looked like" actors acting and not real NASA footage (didn't watch the whole thing).

5 hours ago, Karla Sleutel said:

There are many extensions to use with YouTube.
I'm not familiar with that one, but I would be surprised if it's better than Enhancer for YouTube, which does everything I need, with really good controls.
:yes:

This is a good example of a 4K HDR demo.
There are loads of them around, and they all look stunning.
It really struggles on my system, as I would expect, but if I wanted to see it in all its full glory, I would use the YouTube app on my 4K smart TV to watch it anyway!
:yes:

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That one plays smooth for me in 1080p (its maximum here in 360Chrome, did not check if it goes higher in other browsers).

Even on the ancient Core2 Quad Q6700 with 4GB RAM that I am on at the moment.

Well, "smooth" other than the actors acting like they are in zero-gravity.  At least it "looked like" actors acting and not real NASA footage (didn't watch the whole thing).

Thanks, looks like the ancient quad core is still better than my Pentium G3470 (dual-core) on that machine I use for youtube.

Same for me, 4 K I play them on My 4k TV.

And all forgot that on Xp, no more Drm like Widevine, so offer for video on Xp is reduced today. On 7+, all is different, Firefox is still under support.

Edited by seven4ever

20 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

This works for me at https://everydrop-counts.org/ml (but it will not fix the Roboto font used in chrome://flags or Tampermonkey's own GUI) -

// ==UserScript==
// @name -- Replace Font
// @version 0.1
// @include *
// ==/UserScript==

var elementList = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
    for (var i = elementList.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
        var elementItem = elementList;
        var style = getComputedStyle(elementItem, '');
            elementItem.style.fontFamily = style.fontFamily.replace(/Roboto/i, 'Arial');

}

Can several fonts be changed to Arial at once, or do I have to do this code for each font individually?
And can certain domains be excluded?

Edited by Anbima

13 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I agree, although I think it's important to note that the biggest difference is between 480p ("ED") and 720p ("HD").

Going from 720p up to 1080p ("FHD") isn't as noticeable, and going from there to 2160p ("4K") is even less noticeable unless you have a really big screen or you sit really close to the screen you have.

I just prefer to match video resolution with screen resolution, sometimes I go with higher video resolution. I played games a lot back in the day where the difference is greater, unless you have CRT screen or something like that. NVIDIA's DSR feature is useful for quirky older games to get anti-aliasing effect, downscaling 4K to 1080p definitely reduces jaggies. But 4K on YouTube isn't doable on my PC anymore since they no longer offer resolutions above 1080p with h.264 codec and the upgrades of my PC have reached the end of line, if I replace the GPU, it only makes sense to me to replace the motherboard and CPU as well at the minimum, if not also adding more dense screen.

Some say (eg. @dmiranda) 360Chrome on XP is fine with 1080p @ 60FPS on YouTube, maybe something to do with single-threaded CPU performance? Well besides what I already mentioned, I noticed fullscreen 1080p video is smoother than fullscreen 720p on that browser on my end, no constant frame drops. Guess it struggles with downscaling as well. While interesting observation, not really an issue for me since I've moved on from XP 14 years ago, almost half-life ago given my age. When did all those years pass by?

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

but if I wanted to see it in all its full glory, I would use the YouTube app on my 4K smart TV to watch it anyway!

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Bingo!  My point precisely!  :whistle:

Regarding that argument, it depends on the individual. Some people don't have or don't want a TV. It's kinda similar to "why play games on a PC instead of a gaming console" IMO. If I lived alone, it would be extremely unlikely for TV to be at my place, even now, it's basically 1 out of 3 people here that "need" a TV. I don't watch enough stuff to justify the need for TV, but I have versatile enough computer so might as well use it for that as well.

There can be other reasons, I'm sure there are other households where TV is located somewhere non-private and a more private room might not have enough space to put a TV there.

1 hour ago, seven4ever said:

And all forgot that on Xp, no more Drm like Widevine, so offer for video on Xp is reduced today. On 7+, all is different, Firefox is still under support.

Indeed a good point. But as said before, similarly in this case, there are also folks that get by with just freely accessible videos.

Most 4k videos out there in YT can be downplayed to 1082. For a first shot, check https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=4k+youtube+videos

Great for cultural or other activities with your besties, old scotch in hand and a cuban or 2 near you. Clintyon knew his stuff. Or was it Snoop dog?

Anyway, vimeo and other fine tubes offter similar or better video quality than YT, using less resources, which says it all.

Come party time, though, mofos prefer YT. I guess they like to be watched too, feeling like they are getting used and robbed, intellectually and all (laugh)...

Oh well, 2pm. Time for a fine tea by the digital fire.

Edited by dmiranda

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

Can several fonts be changed to Arial at once, or do I have to do this code for each font individually?
And can certain domains be excluded?

// ==UserScript==
// @name -- Replace Font
// @version 0.1
// @exclude https://www.google.com/*
// @exclude https://www.bing.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

var elementList = document.getElementsByTagName('*');
    for (var i = elementList.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
        var elementItem = elementList;
        var style = getComputedStyle(elementItem, '');
            elementItem.style.fontFamily = style.fontFamily.replace(/Tahoma/i, 'Arial');
            elementItem.style.fontFamily = style.fontFamily.replace(/Roboto/i, 'Arial');

}