ArcticFoxie/NotHereToPlayGames -- 360Chrome v13.5.2044 rebuild 2

15 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Does quality 1440p struggle on your system as well? I suppose it should be fine on your system as well, as quality 1440p is 2K, while quality 2160p is 4K.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6375112

1440p plays a lot better, it doesn't keep stopping to buffer like 2160p does.

There are occasional momentary freezes though, which don't happen on 1080p.

All pretty much as expected.

As an extra observation, the performance using Firefox 120 on 64 bit Windows 10 is really no better than when using 360Chrome on Windows XP.
1440p is smoother, but 2160p still freezes and buffers all the time. It's not my internet speed, as 2160p streaming is perfect on my smart TV.

:)

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I use version 1.5.15.  Unsure if newer versions are MV3 or MV2.  360Chrome can only use MV2 extensions.  I often intentionally user OLDER versions as newer is often just bloated and not as efficient.

I have now been able to install Stylus 1.5.15 and am using the code:
body,html{font-family: Arial !important;}
But on some pages it is not displayed in Arial, like here:
https://www.dpd.com/de/de/

Edited by Anbima

9 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm unsure if you are aware of how long the road is that you are about to travel.

2 hours ago, Anbima said:

You will NOT find ONE rule that fits EVERYWHERE.  I will repeat what I said earlier  --  I'm unsure if you are aware of how long the road is that you are about to travel.

There are folks that write styles sheets with TWO HUNDRED lines of code that still don't catch "everything".

There are folks that write user scripts with TWO HUNDRED lines of code that still don't catch "everything".

As far as your latest URL, using body, html, h3, p {font-family: Arial !important;} catches more fonts on that URL, but still not "all".

I suppose you could try * {font-family: Arial !important;} (note the WILD-CARD ASTERISK) and see if that is satisfactory.

17 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Just to clarify a few things about the terminology we're using, the "K" number refers to the (approx.) number of pixels across, while the "p" number refers to the number of pixels vertically.

2160p (aka UHD) is 3840x2160. We call it 4K but it's actually more like 3.75K.

There are a few true 4K displays in existence, but most "4K" displays are actually 3840x2160.

1440p (aka QHD) is 2560x1440, so more like 2.5K than 2K....

1080p (aka FHD) is 1920x1080, so closer to 2K

I was just saying it based on the link I put in my post, though.

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

1440p plays a lot better, it doesn't keep stopping to buffer like 2160p does.

There are occasional momentary freezes though, which don't happen on 1080p.

All pretty much as expected.

As an extra observation, the performance using Firefox 120 on 64 bit Windows 10 is really no better than when using 360Chrome on Windows XP.
1440p is smoother, but 2160p still freezes and buffers all the time. It's not my internet speed, as 2160p streaming is perfect on my smart TV.

:)

Thanks for the information, glad to know 1440p is smoother in your case.

10 hours ago, Anbima said:

Are there ready-made scripts for Stylus to filter advertising?
Can I replace ublock with Stylus?

Those two add-ons do totally different things.

uBlock filters unwanted junk out of the Web pages you download.

Stylus lets you customize the appearance of Web pages (and more) by telling the browser how to display the elements on the page.

You shouldn't expect Stylus to filter anything. It could make ads invisible, but your browser would still download them (and you'd still be tracked by them).

And you shouldn't expect uBlock to make Web pages look exactly like you want. It could block unwanted style sheets or Web fonts but that's about it.

Quit trying to use a hammer to turn a screw!

@Anbima - I totally get the font issue, I really do.  Font subpixel rendering literally gives me migraines and I have to resort to several tactics to get fonts on my system to look "right".

One add-on won't do it all.  One user script won't do it all.  One style sheet won't do it all.

My four lines of defense are (in this order) -
   Proxomitron
   uMatrix
   Stylus
   web browser Developer Tools (F12)

Sure, we "could" add Tampermonkey to the mix, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

While uMatrix is "above" Stylus, it is only in the sense of BLOCKING third-party fonts, I do not use uMatrix to perform what Stylus is better at performing.

Proxomitron is the "Swiss Army Knife" of web filtering - but it isn't for everyone and has a steep learning curve.
A few of my Proxomitron filters associated with fonts -

image.png.9e94c1a25d9cd61b1e01411a339b26da.png

image.png.4b1f3c77f9c5a39da83e6c769292e2cb.png

image.png.79688e0f8a26fb6d8d72b90bbb8f3355.png

image.png.13c001a99e8d363dc4657ce416c37ba2.png

image.png.ab3f00e4413e0dda2cbaa3d3f602d4dc.png

And you've seen what Stylus can do.

But sometimes we need to consider that sometimes we make life more difficult than it needs to be and the web browser's Developer Tools (F12) is really all that is needed.
If I visit something like DHL only a dozen or so visit during one month of the year and it's never visited the other ELEVEN months of the year - is a "permanent" solution for DHL really even "needed"?
Especially when the web browser's Developer Tools is only a few clicks away and you can change a web pages font rendering "temporarily" within SECONDS as opposed to the HOURS it takes seeking something "permanent" or something "all-encompassing"?

18 hours ago, Anbima said:

I have now been able to install Stylus 1.5.15 and am using the code:
body,html{font-family: Arial !important;}

This is how the fonts look like on my old Siemens XP laptop with a very low screen resolution 1366x768 (it can't go more). Driver nVidia 346.26.

Take a note, the website automatically switches me to the Dutch website https://www.dpd.com/nl/nl/ because I am from Holland.

Holland Fonts.png

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

This is how the fonts look like on my old Siemens XP laptop with a very low screen resolution 1366x768 (it can't go more). Driver nVidia 346.26.

Do you have a "before and after" type of pic?

I basically "had to" remain on XP when Vista came out - Vista's font rendering was a migraine nightmare I never wish to repeat.

I experimented with SEVERAL drivers during my XP Years and I never witnessed any difference - they either "worked" or they "didn't" as far as reaching advertised GPU resolution but no difference in the "dancing" red and green "subpixel" rendering NIGHTMARE.

My eye doctor once described it as "the exact opposite of being color blind", that my eyesight can see/detect (and still does decades later) the "subpixel" colors that many people simply do not "see".

Do you have a "before" pic that shows the red and green subpixels and the "after" pic showing that the one variable changed (the nVidia driver) being the "fix"?

13 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I basically "had to" remain on XP when Vista came out - Vista's font rendering was a migraine nightmare I never wish to repeat.

It's the same for me.
Have you ever switched on edge smoothing before starting 360Chrome in Windows?
Once 360Chrome has started, you can switch it off again.

This makes the fonts look much better.
Hence my question as to whether you can set this permanently in the browser.
360Chrome must adopt this setting from Windows.

9 minutes ago, Anbima said:

Have you ever switched on edge smoothing before starting 360Chrome in Windows?

My XP was always set to Standard font smoothing, never to ClearType font smoothing.  Standard was fine for me, but I did have to BLOCK any-and-all .css anti-alias fonts via Proxomitron, uMatrix, or Stylus, depending on how the web site was configured.

Standard was always fine for me so long as I didn't allow web sites to use Roboto, Segoe, Calibri, Consolas.

But I also had to disable DirectWrite - one of the reasons that even though Win10 isn't nearly the nightmare that Vista was, I continue to use 360Chrome most of the time even in Win10.

Supermium has also returned GDI versus DirectWrite but I cannot bring myself to using a web browser that isn't "ungoogled".  Every user will have their pros and cons, their preferences.  Web browser selection is always a matter of user preference.

I didn't have to switch Standard off or on depending on which programs were running, it was ALWAYS on.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I mean, if you don't have a "before", I wouldn't go out of your way for it.

I've recently migrated to Win10 and it does not suffer the NIGHTMARE that I witnessed in Vista.

The nightmare haunted me so much that I didn't even try Win7.

Screenshots won't do it real justice due the compression, about win7, yes, no way to tweak it to display normal fonts, Vista can be tweaked though.