Supermium

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

As you can see, there are boxes where presumably there should be icons.

Write the website address (apologies if it's already been written, but I missed it), I'll check with myself how it's displayed.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Is this anything to do with the 'NoToEmoji' font which is bundled with the browser?
If I open that in XP, it's just a load of boxes.

I have the font displaying the letters. But I have all language options enabled, hieroglyphics, Arabic, and all possible "code page conversion tables" enabled.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

At the time, I used a Tampermonkey script to convert any-and-all *em* font-size's to *px* and I never encountered any "disappearing font" afterwards.

Cool. Would you mind sharing that script either here or in the monkey scripts thread?

And I completely agree in that it is (and has to be) XP OS issues - which brings us to supermium.

I have to say that that guy @win32has delivered. I will make time to install an OS I've never used, to see his work directly on target (I would also call it fair game -and good practice- to point out that to have an open source community working with you, in your software, side by side with a shinier and prettier plus plus built around the thing we probably don't (or sadly can't) use -those would be acceptable terms, I guess). Be well.

Edited by dmiranda

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Write the website address (apologies if it's already been written, but I missed it), I'll check with myself how it's displayed.

I have the font displaying the letters. But I have all language options enabled, hieroglyphics, Arabic, and all possible "code page conversion tables" enabled.

spacer.png

Unfortunately I can't give you the address of that site as it's a private Health Service address which needs a login.
If I spot the same issue anywhere that's generally available, I will certainly let you know.
Presumably I'm not just getting squares for the same reason that the NoToEmoji font is displaying squares?
:dubbio:

3 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Presumably I'm not just getting squares for the same reason that the NoToEmoji font is displaying squares?

It's possible, but it can be verified. Open the website: https://emojikeyboard.top/
If the Noto font is not installed or does not work, you will see this:

spacer.png
But if it is working, it will be like this:

spacer.png

If Noto works, then maybe your site needs a different font, or there is some other problem.

On another subject, I've noticed when trying to add a file to a post here using Supermium, I get this -

Clipboard-2.thumb.jpg.dba0f9b0142ee82227c95c5d36923d4d.jpg

No option to actually select a file, the 'Dump Folder' folder shown definitely has files in it!
Thankfully, dragging and dropping does work.
:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I'm seeing this, so it all looks as if it's OK.

Hmm, interesting, the emoticons are different from the ones I have, although the font is the same. But the important thing is that they are displayed. Then maybe that site needs "font awesome", there are several versions of them and each has a set of several fonts.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

On another subject, I've noticed when trying to add a file to a post here using Supermium, I get this -

The developer is aware of this problem and is addressing it.

21 minutes ago, ED_Sln said:

Hmm, interesting, the emoticons are different from the ones I have, although the font is the same. But the important thing is that they are displayed. Then maybe that site needs "font awesome", there are several versions of them and each has a set of several fonts.

The developer is aware of this problem and is addressing it.

I think maybe the emoticons look different on your grab to my grab because it says it's a 'Top 100', which presumably is constantly changing?
:dubbio:
Good to know that they are aware of the file selection problem.

i tested that website with a nativ win7 machine (with all upgrades) and a unchanged official chrome 109

supermium is already far above that, as seen even on win7

and on a nativ win10 machine with edge

win10´s edge might show a few more, but not all while supermium shows all of them

win7_109_chrome.jpg

edge_win10.jpg

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Is this anything to do with the 'NoToEmoji' font which is bundled with the browser?

I do not install bundled fonts to the OS so my Supermium still shows the same boxes as the Edge screencap above.

I do not need what I think of as a PHONE FONT installed on my DESKTOP computer.

To each their own, of course.

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I think maybe the emoticons look different on your grab to my grab because it says it's a 'Top 100', which presumably is constantly changing?

No, they are the same emoticons, they rarely change in this top 100. They're just a little different for some reason.

5 hours ago, user57 said:

win10´s edge might show a few more, but not all while supermium shows all of them

Win 10 already supports color emoji, in older OS you have to install an extension in your browser to make them colorful.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:59 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I can tell you that from my experience, the "disappearing fonts" in 360Chrome were *always* when the font-size .css attribute was in *em* units instead of something like *px*.

That's some bizarre jumping through hoops. Converting CSS directives expressed in em to px...WTF? Makes one question the *underlying code quality. Reminds of all the weird bugs in old games I used to patch...now I can't even see that x86 ASM crap anymore...

Both Supermium and Thorium still feel like Win10/11 browsers with band aid to run on XP.

[*] I meant Chromium's code quality in general.

Edited by UCyborg

On 4/18/2024 at 12:22 AM, Dave-H said:

Clipboard-2.thumb.jpg.dba0f9b0142ee82227c95c5d36923d4d.jpg

No option to actually select a file, the 'Dump Folder' folder shown definitely has files in it!
Thankfully, dragging and dropping does work.

It's a bug ,I told to the developer some days ago

1 hour ago, hidao said:

It's a bug ,I told to the developer some days ago

FWIW it's the same in Thorium, perhaps not surprisingly!