will windows 11 become the new vista failure of the 2022s?

legacyfan

as I have seen before in lots of places windows 11 is already being nicknamed the windows vista 2.0 and that its predicted to get the same forgotten path as vista originally did so my question is what will the future be for windows 11 or is it's legacy already painted along side vistas?

Edited by legacyfan

• 1 month later...

Vista was fine. Just ahead of it's time with the system requirements. To me, Vista was the best looking Windows ever made. And with the proper hardware it ran rock solid, just like Windows 7.

Win11 is the second best looking Windows imo. But I have had more broken OS problems after Windows 11 WU runs.

I disliked the messy UI of Windows 10 so I stayed with Windows 7 until 11 came out.

Windows 11 will probably get one or two big updates and then it is going to maintenance mode while new development will shift to Windows 12, or whatever the next Windows will be called.

I thought Windows 8 was already “the new Vista.” I ran Vista for as long as my old hardware permitted, and I’m not happy that it is still synonymous with failure, particularly since Windows 7 was basically “Vista SP3.” :)

With Windows 11 the situation is kind of opposite to Vista's. 11 has artificially increased hardware requirements, while the recommended 1GHz and 1GB ram was definitely not enough to run Vista smoothly.

It was actually Windows 10 that was pushed into old hardware (especially with magnetic HDDs where it run terribly bad).

So the strategy of marketing the OS as "super premium" for hi-spec PCs only would make much more sense in 2007 with all that shiny Aero Glass and Gadgets than it does now.

Well as of the RTM release, Vista really, REALLY was a s--t pile.  It really was.  Slow I/O, badly written display drivers, you name it ....

However, SP1 and (especially) SP2 cleared away most of those warts, and by the end, I would agree it performed pretty much identically as well as Windows 7.

What was never resolved was management and cleanup of the component store.  It became huge.  However that doesn't bug me any more.  I'm perfectly OK now with an OS taking up 15 to 20 GB of disk space now, where I wasn't before.  Why?  Because I now understand what the component store does, and why it provides sound stability benefits to Windows.

As for Windows 8, funnily enough, I can still update using Server 2012 updates without any "tricks".  I was hoping the same for my Windows 8.1 brethren, but no such "exact" luck.  But Windows 8 has been exceptionally stable, and a VERY GOOD performer.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Well as of the RTM release, Vista really, REALLY was a s--t pile.  It really was.  Slow I/O, badly written display drivers, you name it ....

Hi! Ever wondered Vista users might get offended? You are expected to be mature and polite on this forum. So, you gave no articles? Of course.

Did you use it on XP era computer? Please tell the specs, I never encountered anything similar with RTM x86. Worth to mention, I switched off indexing and ready boost.

In fact, SP are slower. It could also be your defective HDD.

Example: boot duration increased with each SP added!

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-RTM-vs-Vista-SP2-99960.shtml

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Hi! Ever wondered Vista users might get offended? You are expected to be mature and polite on this forum. So, you gave no articles? Of course.

Did you use it on XP era computer? Please tell the specs, I never encountered anything similar with RTM x86. Worth to mention, I switched off indexing and ready boost.

In fact, SP are slower. It could also be your defective HDD.

Example: boot duration increased with each SP added!

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-RTM-vs-Vista-SP2-99960.shtml

Simmer down.  No need to be offended.  I did say that Vista redeemed itself with service packs.  You'll also notice that I had several upvotes from seasoned forum members, which tell you that many fully agree with my assessment.

The original notebooks I setup were DuoCores with 4 GB of RAM.  That's what Vista was sold on, and it ran terribly.  By the way, I use Vista Home Basic on a 2 GB of RAM Dell Notebook today, and it runs swimmingly.  So the original RTM version showed its warts.

So no, I don't think Vista users should get offended by performance assessments.  I'd be embarrassed to admit such a thing, and I'm a sensitive person to most that know me personally.

For whom it was "failure"?

As an example, Vista's business sales were even stronger than expected!

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/report-vistas-business-sales-stronger-than-expected/

Vista RTM ran perfectly fine on several of my Siemens computers, I still run RTM without updates on a Haswell PC from 2013.

Maybe the expectations were too low.

The article you linked to is an opinion by an analyst written while Vista was made available, january 2007, compare with these (written two years after launch):

https://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1898610_1898625_1898627,00.html

https://www.technologizer.com/2009/08/10/sixteen-reasons-the-windows-vista-era-never-quite-happened/

Vista was not a success for Microsoft (no matter if rightfully or wrongly people did whatever they could to avoid it).

Windows 7[1] release was accelerated as much as possible, hoping to replicate the success of XP.

jaclaz

[1] please read as Vista SP3

On 8/3/2023 at 10:26 PM, Jody Thornton said:

On 8/5/2023 at 1:42 PM, Jody Thornton said:

You'll also notice that I had several upvotes from seasoned forum members

I go to any store in my town, I go to Paris, I have a friend who owns a big shop, I see the same amount of each Windows versions being sold with ready made computers, people will basically buy what they told. I don't know how those, who wrote such opinions, determine if Vista was a "sales failure", are you business owners in huge cities? Were you in business in 2007? The one who made this topic was 5 y.o. (from the public info at his account). 

Those "seasoned members", who upvoted you, one wasn't even born, the other one was 5 y.o. , the third one is not any windows user at all. I agree with the others, you can't just call any OS a "sh*t pile" here, I don't do it, so why should you? You can't even imagine what I want to call Windows 7 and 8, especially 7. I'm fighting the temptations really hard.

Edited by D.Draker
4 or 5 or 5 and a half y.o.

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I go to any store in my town, I go to Paris, I have a friend who owns a big shop, I see the same amount of each Windows versions being sold with ready made computers, people will basically buy what they told. I don't know how those, who wrote such opinions, determine if Vista was a "sales failure", are you business owners in huge cities? Were you in business in 2007? The one who made this topic was 5 y.o. (from the public info at his account). 

Those "seasoned members", who upvoted you, one wasn't even born, the other one was 5 y.o. , the third one is not any windows user at all. I agree with the others, you can't just call any OS a "sh*t pile" here, I don't do it, so why should you? You can't even imagine what I want to call Windows 7 and 8, especially 7. I'm fighting the temptations really hard.

Go Ahead!  Call Windows 7 or 8 whatever you want.  They are just operating systems.  I won't get hurt, I promise!

By the way, jaclaz commented similarly as I did.  He is quite a helpful, seasoned member of MSFN,  I doubt he was a wee young lad in 2007. Oh neither was I.  I was doing system installs back then, and had for quite awhile.

The comment supporting the use of Vista RTM as being problem free are anecdotal at best. whereas I'm sure if you look, you;ll find less than stellar reviews on Vista's release back in early 2007.

The funniest thing about all this:  I actually came to love Vista later on, once SP2 was applied.  And even more funny:  I'm typing this post on MyPal 68, using a Dell Inspiron 1420 notebook running .... yes, Vista Home Basic.  I was the guy who STARTED the thread for Vista Updates using Server 2008 way back when.  So I'm hardly a Vista hater.  I just chose to see reality.

So everybody relax!  Sheesh!

I'm sure that Vista ended up maturing with age.  All I know "living through it" is that when Vista first came out, it rendered my laptop useless and so I reverted to XP.  It was basically "that experience" which still has me running XP to this day!

The multi-continent global company that I work for *never* ran Vista on ANY of our company PCs.  We went from XP straight to 7, skipping over Vista.  Then went from 7 straight to 10, skipping over 8/8.1.

We (the company) is also skipping 11.  Can that be correlated to "every other" Windows release or that the skipped one's were "that bad"?

I'd say "not really" because we didn't migrate to 10 until two or three versions in.

Again, I don't doubt that Vista matured with age.  But I also know what my "first impression" was and Best Buy even offered me a "free downgrade" to revert a brand new PC that came with Vista to run XP instead.

To the best of my knowledge, Vista is the only Windows OS that ever allowed retailers to offer "free downgrades".

But again I will repeat, I don't doubt that Vista matured with age (I personally never looked back once offered that "free downgrade").