On 6/8/2023 at 3:14 PM, Tripredacus said:

Any place we would go to for refuge cannot be a place we just pick in this thread, but a place where the forum owner or admins allow us to go.

Actually, with this statement, any further discussion is moot. We are apparently waiting here for a decision by the forum owner or administrator and hope to receive information at their preferred location the next time MSFN fails. Whether one can participate in discussions or ask questions there as a profane member remains to be seen. Suggestions like MDL or Eclipse have disqualified themselves for various reasons, and further discussions by members will only lead to @Dave-H having to delete posts again. IMHO, we should spare him this work. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

The whole idea seems moot to me.  As if the forum owner somehow owes us all a place to jibber-jabber nonsensically like a Jabberwocky through the Looking Glass?

I think we are all over-analyzing.  When the forum goes down, are our lives so destitute that we can't find something else to do until it comes back up?

If members share common interests and converse in other forums, all fine and dandy, but for the forum owner to somehow owe us an alternative?  Like I said, the whole idea seems moot to me.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The whole idea seems moot to me.  As if the forum owner somehow owes us all a place to jibber-jabber nonsensically like a Jabberwocky through the Looking Glass?

I think we are all over-analyzing.  When the forum goes down, are our lives so destitute that we can't find something else to do until it comes back up?

If members share common interests and converse in other forums, all fine and dandy, but for the forum owner to somehow owe us an alternative?  Like I said, the whole idea seems moot to me.

You may be right, but when the MSFN status thread was set up on RyanVM (by dencorso I think) it was a nice place to be able to go and check in with others when MSFN was offline.
Of course it's not essential to have somewhere like that, but I always thought it was a good thing to have.
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Of course it's not essential

Definitely not essential, if you want my opinion (opinions are like butts, everybody has one, doesn't mean everybody wants to hear them).

I can't think of any forum I've been on in 30+ years that had an "alternate" location for the admin to discuss status if the primary went offline for a day or two.

All I can think of is a hypothetical comparison - I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account but I do hear via news and even doctor friends that they are highly addictive platforms.

The whole notion (in my opinion) of seeking a downtime status and when will we be back up again via an alternate location would be because MSFN Members started having "withdrawal symptoms" because they couldn't feed their addiction.

I guess I "kind of" get it, visiting MSFN is part of my daily routine.  But I didn't need medical attention for withdrawal when it went offline.  Life went on.

I guess I also see it as "more important" for the owner to bring the system back up as opposed to, "Wait, I can't do that yet, I have to visit our alternate location and submit a status report every hour or so."

I kid...  Kind of...

edit - I was a member of RyanVM and also WinCert, if there was an "MSFN Status" thread, I never saw them, lol.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

As we all know, MSFN is already represented on Twitter and Facebook For the future case that MSFN is not available for a longer period of time (several days), a short message there would be desirable. You don't have to have a Twitter or Facebook account to read such a status message. Personally, I am not a social media fan, but if such accounts already exist, then perhaps they should be used. Unfortunately, when MSFN was down on 03/06/2023, there was no message. Nor on the following days. The last messages were from 2019. Such accounts are then of course useless. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

10 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

When I visited that website, my CPU usage went to 32%, which is way too much because I have a powerful processor. On a simple core i5 it would be 70%. Looks like they have mining embedded.

Can't replicate this in PaleMoon and Chromium

On 6/8/2023 at 2:45 AM, D.Draker said:

I don't think we should use a board that's specific to any strict matter.

eclipse.cx is for Vampire films fans only.

https://www.tvinsider.com/show/the-twilight-saga-eclipse/

Oh, I almost forgot i read 3 Twilight saga books so my eclipse.cx recommendation doesn't count!!! :)

Edited by TSNH

On 6/8/2023 at 4:28 PM, jumper said:

A cookie (or other fingerprint) must tell it you are a registered member. I'm not and have never been able to view any Facebook content.

Until today. By using an Android phone with no blocking, I am able to reproduce the read-only version displayed after dismissing the Logon nag overlay.

New test results made me edit my previous post about Facebook. However, along with all the scripts and other standard FB bloat, the photos currently on the MSFN page make it too heavy for me. I would prefer a light-weight, text-only page for status updates.

13 hours ago, Cocodile said:

When I visited that website, my CPU usage went to 32%, which is way too much because I have a powerful processor. On a simple core i5 it would be 70%. Looks like they have mining embedded.

Owner here. That's an awfully rude and unfounded thing to say. I have no form of advertising there, much less cryptomining. You can go so far as to use it without any javascript, as there is already very little of it. The problem lies with recent versions of Chromium, which I thought until recent was isolated to my systems running legacy Intel HD. The problem in Chromium is related to high resolution background images used in CSS. For some reason unknown to any rational person, Blink seems to go into assault mode with the CPU to render such images on pages. Early 100.x builds are not impacted, and Firefox-based browsers aren't impacted at all. I'm not sure what sort of workaround I could provide to Chromium users. I tried tweaking the CSS some, using a known trick to force Blink/Webkit browsers to use Hardware Acceleration. transform: translateZ(0); seems to do the trick, but throws all div elements off.

Go into Developer tools, and disable the background image. You'll find that is the culprit. It is rather large I admit, at 2560x1600. It's just under 1 MB with compression, though. My site is not the only site impacted, either. You'll find this with any page that uses a large background image. I'm surprised people haven't raised a bigger fuss about it.

I can't say I can provide a drop-in replacement to RyanVM. In truth, I've only visited that place a small handful of times. I think comparing information boards is apples to oranges, so take your pick accordingly. I will say off the bat, my board features much less social features than you'd find here on MSFN. (mandatory post approval, no outbound DMs). It's really an information archive first and foremost. The blog portion is whatever ADHD brings to the table that moment, and is largely dissociated.

3 hours ago, docR said:

Owner here. That's an awfully rude and unfounded thing to say. I have no form of advertising there, much less cryptomining. You can go so far as to use it without any javascript, as there is already very little of it. The problem lies with recent versions of Chromium, which I thought until recent was isolated to my systems running legacy Intel HD. The problem in Chromium is related to high resolution background images used in CSS. For some reason unknown to any rational person, Blink seems to go into assault mode with the CPU to render such images on pages. Early 100.x builds are not impacted, and Firefox-based browsers aren't impacted at all. I'm not sure what sort of workaround I could provide to Chromium users. I tried tweaking the CSS some, using a known trick to force Blink/Webkit browsers to use Hardware Acceleration. transform: translateZ(0); seems to do the trick, but throws all div elements off.

Go into Developer tools, and disable the background image. You'll find that is the culprit. It is rather large I admit, at 2560x1600. It's just under 1 MB with compression, though. My site is not the only site impacted, either. You'll find this with any page that uses a large background image. I'm surprised people haven't raised a bigger fuss about it.

I can't say I can provide a drop-in replacement to RyanVM. In truth, I've only visited that place a small handful of times. I think comparing information boards is apples to oranges, so take your pick accordingly. I will say off the bat, my board features much less social features than you'd find here on MSFN. (mandatory post approval, no outbound DMs). It's really an information archive first and foremost. The blog portion is whatever ADHD brings to the table that moment, and is largely dissociated.

How is this "rude" and "unfounded", if you just confirmed the problem with the high CPU usage exists on your end?

In this case, will it also be "rude" to tell, I'm not going to downgrade to early 100 bulids, just to visit one website?

Besides, your site doesn't even support the dark theme. I don't have any of such troubles with MSFN, despite what you say.

48 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

How is this "rude" and "unfounded", if you just confirmed the problem with the high CPU usage exists on your end?

In this case, will it also be "rude" to tell, I'm not going to downgrade to early 100 bulids, just to visit one website?

Besides, your site doesn't even support the dark theme. I don't have any of such troubles with MSFN, despite what you say.

Just do me a solid and stay away from the place. r/Windows over on Reddit is likely a better fit for you.
I do not recommend using an older version of Chroimium. I was only pointing out a flaw in Chromium, for which I have not yet found a solution for. It is not evident in Firefox at all.
You may get your 5 minutes of fame here on MSFN, but you have no such audience with me. This sort of Reddit-esque nonsense is what prompted me to me to branch off with my own project in the first place. I'm ending this here.
Good day :cool:

Edited by docR