Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

7 hours ago, WSC4 said:

Thanks to AstroSkipper for going to all the trouble of helping and supplying all those links, updates and support tools.

You're welcome!

7 hours ago, WSC4 said:

I downloaded the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and tested all version of .NET that I have.  All passed with flying colours.  Just to make sure, I also downloaded and ran NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe which is the Update 4.0.3 for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 – Runtime Update.  Installed OK.

I also found FREEAV.exe is zipped and using 7-ZIP extracted all the files.  In there is the PandaCloudAntivirus_x64.msi installer and setup.exe installer.  Unfortunately, running each one came up with the same .NET error. 
I have given up on Panda and have decided it is not suitable for XP 64-bit and will move on and try others.

Thanks to @WSC4 for reporting back! So, Panda really meant what was stated as the system requirements:

Compatible with: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP (SP3 or higher)

Therefore, we now definitely know that Panda Antivirus Free is not compatible with Windows XP 64 bit editions due to .NET Framework 4 problems, confirmed by @WSC4 and @UCyborg. Accordingly, I noted that in my article.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 hours ago, WSC4 said:

I have given up on Panda and have decided it is not suitable for XP 64-bit and will move on and try others.

I am more favorably disposed toward Avast/AVG 18.8 than AstroSkipper is, but once again the system requirements specified “XP SP3*” with an asterisk indicating a footnote: “Both the 32- and 64-bit versions...” Do they not know that Service Pack 3 only exists in a 32-bit version?

I have no idea whether or not Kaspersky 18 supported XP x64. I can tell you that it required .NET 4 and did not require SSE2.

Good luck with your testing! :)

360 Total Security Essential

This article is about 360 Total Security Essential and not about 360 Total Security. These versions are different. 360 Total Security Essential is an antivirus for the basic computer protection against malware and online threats. The software uses multiple antivirus engines and intelligent cloud technology to detect infected files and unknown or hidden threats: 360 Cloud Scan Engine, System Repair Engine, QVM II AI Engine, QEX script killing engine and Avira AntiVir Engine. Furthermore, 360 Total Security Essential supports various types of system scans for suspicious files, which can be further analysed to avoid security problems. The software provides protection on the internet by blocking dangerous websites and making secure online purchases. 360 Total Security Essential has a sandbox that allows you to open files or run applications in an isolated environment without the risk of damaging the main system. Its antivirus also uses behavioural analysis to prevent the system infection and protect personal data against ransomware. 360 Total Security Essential is compatible with Windows XP and free of charge.

Main features:

• Additional antivirus engines
  • Privacy protection
  • Internet security
  • Protection of the file system and registry
  • Sandbox

Homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/20200203081602/http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

Version number: 8.8.0.1119

Date of release: 18.12.2019

System requirements: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/Server 2008 and above version

Version history:

8.8.0.1119 Dec 18, 2019

• Fixed: Bug fixes

8.8.0.1118 Nov 8, 2019

• Added: Support Windows 10 November 2019 Update

8.8.0.1116 Sep 23, 2019

8.8.0.1114 Jul 4, 2019

• Improved: Security feature enhancement
  • Improved: USB Driver Protection
  • Added: Support Windows 10 May 2019 Update

8.8.0.1105 Dec 18, 2018

8.8.0.1101 Nov 14, 2018

• Added: Support Windows 10 RS5

8.8.0.1097 Sep 5, 2018

8.8.0.1096 Jun 25, 2018

8.8.0.1090 May 29, 2018

• Added: Compliance with the European General Data Protection Regulation

8.8.0.1083 May 21, 2018

• Added: Support Windows 10 Spring Creators Update

8.8.0.1082 Apr 18, 2018

8.8.0.1078 Mar 13, 2018

• Added: Set registry key for Meltdown and Spectre patch

8.8.0.1077 Mar 7, 2018

8.8.0.1076 Feb 24, 2018

8.8.0.1073 Feb 2, 2018

• Add: Premium Membership - Complete protection without Ads and Lively theme to dress up your Total Security Essential

8.8.0.1050 Dec 25, 2017

8.8.0.1049 Nov 27, 2017

8.8.0.1047 Nov 16, 2017

• Added: Fully support Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update

8.8.0.1043 Aug 2, 2017

8.8.0.1042 Jul 14, 2017

• Added: Internet Protection for WebExtensions in FireFox

8.8.0.1036 Jun 6, 2017

8.8.0.1033 Apr 24, 2017

• Added: Support Windows 10 Creators Update

8.8.0.1020 Aug 10, 2016

• Added: Support Windows 10 Anniversary Update

8.2.0.1039 May 11, 2016

8.2.0.1038 Apr 28, 2016

8.2.0.1035 Apr 22, 2016

8.2.0.1034 Apr 20, 2016

8.2.0.1031 Feb 26, 2016

• Added: Language - German
  • Added: Potentially Unwanted Program(PUP) blocking
  • Added: Support scanning iOS IPA files infected with Xcode Ghost
  • Added: Virus Scan - Support Rar5 file type(Archive file)
  • Added: Virus Scan - Support IPA file type(iOS installer package)
  • Added: Virus Scan - Item detail for scan result

7.2.0.1027 Dec 17, 2015

7.2.0.1025 Nov 14, 2015

• Added: Support Windows 10 TH2(Build 10586)

7.2.0.1021 Sep 21, 2015

• Added: Support scanning iOS IPA files infected with Xcode Ghost

7.2.0.1020 Sep 18, 2015

7.2.0.1019 Sep 3, 2015

7.2.0.1018 Aug 17, 2015

7.2.0.1012 Jul 29, 2015

• Added: Fully support Windows 10
  • Added: Windows 10-styled Skin
  • Added: Data Hijacking Protection
  • Added: Malicious root certificate cleanup

6.6.1.1014 Jun 1, 2015

• Added: Language - Vietnamese
  • Added: Language - Portuguese
  • Added: Language - Simplified Chinese
  • Added: Language - Japanese
  • Added: Language - Hindi
  • Added: Display Language Changing
  • Added: Scheduled Scan
  • Added: Shutdown after Virus Scan
  • Added: Internet Protection for Chrome 64bit
  • Added: Internet Protection for Opera Browser
  • Added: Internet Protection for Yandex Browser
  • Added: Virus Scan in Safe Mode

6.0.0.2016 Apr 30, 2015

6.0.0.1022 Apr 7, 2015

6.0.0.1021 Mar 17, 2015

• Active Protection
  • Virus Scan
  • Sandbox
  • Theme
  • Non-administrator support
  • Multi-language support: English, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Traditional Chinese

Review: https://www.accuratereviews.com/best-antivirus-for-pc-software-reviews-list/360-total-security-essential/

Download link: https://web.archive.org/web/20200402234430if_/https://free.360totalsecurity.com/totalsecurity/360TSE_Setup.exe

Screenshots:

Screenshot of the main interface:

Qihu-Total-Security-Essential-8-8-0-1119

Screenshot of the security configuration with settings I made, especially in terms of the Avira Scan Engine:

Qihu_Total_Security_Essential_8.8.0.1119

In this screenshot above, you see I changed the protection mode from the default Balanced to Custom, and I enabled the Avira Scan Engine. Alternatively, you can set the protection mode to the highest level Security. This definitely improves the programme's detection rate. More about the used Avira Scan Engine can be read here.

In March 2023, I had installed 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 on my second system partition and used it for a while. This version has definitely no such bloatware and crappy desktop manager as I had to notice in the 360 Total Security 10.x follow-up versions I tested before. When installing 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119, there is an option to install additionally the browser Opera but you can untick it. The whole installation process is far more pleasant than it is, for example, in the edition 360 Total Security 10.8.0.1541. 360 Total Security Essential is quite okay as an alternative in Windows XP where the choice of antivirus programmes is very limited. Although I can't say much about the quality of its protection, you have the option of installing the Avira Scan Engine which increases the detection rate of this programme considerably, as AV-Test has shown in the follow-up version 9.2. Here is an image taken from the test:

Test_Antivirus-Programme_Qihoo_360_I_AV-

The impact of system resources by 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 is very low. One hardly notices the presence of this programme in the background. And that in my very old, weak system! Unfortunately, 360 Total Security Essential in version 8.8.0.1119 was the last release of this edition. It was abandoned at some point in the past, but its virus definitions could still be updated when I tested it in March 2023. Therefore, I think it will probably still work in these days. But as always, the proof is in the pudding. So maybe, someone can test that and report here. smilie-denk-58.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

47 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Although I can't say much about the quality of its protection, you have the option of installing the Avira Scan Engine which increases the detection rate of this programme considerably, as AV-Test has shown in the follow-up version 9.2. Here is an image taken from the test:

Test_Antivirus-Programme_Qihoo_360_I_AV-

That brings back memories about a company that has long been deemed untrustworthy by many in the West:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2917384/antivirus-test-labs-call-out-chinese-security-company-as-cheat.html

On 9/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, did you try to install Panda as admin?

Yes. In the end, I tried installing when only KB2600211 was installed and when both KB2600211 and KB2600217 were installed. No difference.

Then I removed these updates and finally .NET 4 and tried installing the version with slipstreamed updates from https://github.com/abbodi1406/dotNetXP (I used cmd-line parameters to exclude older .NETs), but the installer failed after it started with exception.

This is far as I'm willing to go at this point, maybe someone else with more updated OS can give it a try.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Yes. In the end, I tried installing when only KB2600211 was installed and when both KB2600211 and KB2600217 were installed. No difference.

Then I removed these updates and finally .NET 4 and tried installing the version with slipstreamed updates from https://github.com/abbodi1406/dotNetXP (I used cmd-line parameters to exclude older .NETs), but the installer failed after it started with exception.

This is far as I'm willing to go at this point, maybe someone else with more updated OS can give it a try.

Thanks for your efforts! :) TBH, I think there is something missing in Windows XP 64 bit. But in the end, we have to accept that Panda Antivirus Free is not compatible with this OS due to problems in recognising an already existing .NET Framework 4 installation. Panda Antivirus Free can't be installed out of the box although .NET Framework 4 is installed apparently properly. Personally, I am glad that I use Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit (including all POSReady updates). spanachee.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper I have builded new testing machine capable to run XP - 11 (Asus B360, Intel i5 9400F, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA 980 Ti). I will try today install XP x64 with everything until 08-2019 to see how it goes. I think I have succesfully installed Panda on my x64 images in past. But I will download latest offline installer to confirm it.

On x86 was everything fine. No issues at all. 

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I think there is something missing in Windows XP 64 bit. But in the end, we have to accept that Panda Antivirus Free is not compatible with this OS due to problems in recognising an already existing .NET Framework 4 installation.

1 hour ago, George King said:

I will try today install XP x64 with everything until 08-2019 to see how it goes. I think I have successfully installed Panda on my x64 images in past. But I will download latest offline installer to confirm it.

If you can get it up and running on XP 64-bit, well and good, but I do not think it matters any more.  One of the reasons I am not bothering with Panda, is that I read the review on the PC Magazine site:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/panda-free-antivirus

It does not get a good review.  Notably in the Aggregate Lab Results and Malware Protection Tests results.

On your first page showing:

Alphabetical list of working antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP.

There are plenty more to test out.  AVG is not on the list?  https://www.avg.com/en-au/windows-xp-antivirus#pc

Edited by WSC4

7 hours ago, WSC4 said:

@WSC4 Did you read my first, introducing post of this thread? :dubbio:
Here is a short quotation:

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, AstroSkipper said:

This project is very extensive and involves a lot of work. repareordi.gif
In-depth research in particular is very time-consuming, but necessary. So be patient, especially if the list of programs fills up slowly! sablierr.gif As always: Good things come to those who waitblablaoreille.gif And just for clarification, I won't test all of them by myself, of course. Here, other members can make a perfect contribution with their knowledge or experiences already made.

In my Alphabetical list of working antimalware, firewall, and other security programmes for Windows XP, I will list only those programmes which were reviewed by me in the form of an article with all necessary information. I keep an internal list of 77 security programmes and services (as of 15.09.2023). I already reviewed 24 of them. So, there is still a lot to do. And of course, AVG is on this list, too. I will write an article about it soon. And I'll do that although I don't like AVG due to bad experiences I made in the past. :yes:
But, as I already said, this project is very extensive and involves a lot of work. repareordi.gif 
And, it's not my only project here on MSFNno.gif
I am very experienced in writing articles, and that's no problem, either. But, the most time-consuming actions are thorough researchingtesting, and sometimes, fixing problems as in the case of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300. Therefore, my official list will only fill up slowly. pendule.gif 
And that means, any form of help helpsmilie.gif is very welcome and much appreciateda080.gif

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

8 hours ago, George King said:

On x86 was everything fine. No issues at all. 

I know. I tested Panda Antivirus Free months ago and used it a longer time. It worked great in my system. ssuper5sur5.gif

On 9/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, I had no problems at all to install Panda Antivirus Free under a fully updated Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit including all POSReady updates. smilie_denk_24.gif

Windows XP Professional SP3 32 Bit is simply great. :cheerleader:

8 hours ago, George King said:

@AstroSkipper I have builded new testing machine capable to run XP - 11 (Asus B360, Intel i5 9400F, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA 980 Ti). I will try today install XP x64 with everything until 08-2019 to see how it goes. I think I have succesfully installed Panda on my x64 images in past. But I will download latest offline installer to confirm it.

@George King As I don't use Windows XP 64 bit, it would be great if you can do additionally some tests under this OS. Maybe, a fully updated Windows XP 64 bit is necessary to get Panda Antivirus Free installed. I performed a deeper research via Google and found a lot of similar reports about .NET Framework 4 problems under different OSes when installing Panda Antivirus Free. In Windows 7, for example, a system patch seems to be necessary if the .NET Framework 4 error occurs. Anyway! One thing is totally clear. Any form of help helpsmilie.gif in testing is very welcome and much appreciated:yes:

Greetings, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 9/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, WSC4 said:

One of the reasons I am not bothering with Panda, is that I read the review on the PC Magazine site:

It does not get a good review.  Notably in the Aggregate Lab Results and Malware Protection Tests results.

@WSC4 These tests should be taken with extreme caution. There were positive tests, but also negative ones. For me, Panda Antivirus Free ran very well and did its job without any problems a few months ago. ssuper5sur5.gif I would reinstall it again immediately if Malwarebytes one day no longer provided virus definitions under Windows XP. BTW, the main reason for using Malwarebytes is that I own a lifetime licence. And one thing should not be forgotten. Under Windows XP, you can't be as picky as under new operating systems that are supported by all manufacturers. smilie_denk_24.gif

Here are a few more tests and reviews for you to read: vil2_nouvelles.gif

https://www.experte.com/antivirus/panda

https://www.lifewire.com/panda-free-antivirus-review-1356582

https://www.av-comparatives.org/vendors/panda/

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/manufacturer/panda-security/

Greetings, AstroSkipper captain.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, WSC4 said:

One of the reasons I am not bothering with Panda, is that I read the review on the PC Magazine site:

I am familiar with that review and consider it fair. Ironically, it was a much older and more favorable review by Neil Rubenking that once led me to try Panda, and he lost much of his credibility with me as a result. I notice that you are being supplied with more links about Panda despite your stated desire to try something else. Here’s a BBC link that explains why wild horses couldn’t drag me back to Panda (having been a victim of this debacle):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31851125

7 hours ago, WSC4 said:

AVG is not on the list?

Avast bought AVG before they ended support for XP/Vista, and AVG 18.8 has the same engine as Avast 18.8 (although the UI is markedly different). If you should find that one will not work on XP x64, then it would almost certainly be a waste of time to test the other. (There has more recently been an even bigger merger, and Avast/AVG is now part of a multinational corporation called Gen Digital along with the Norton and Avira antivirus brands.)

On 9/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, WSC4 said:

@WSC4 BTW, your linked review of Panda Antivirus Free is from 09.06.2021 and hasn't been updated since then. Therefore, it does not refer to the more recent versions of Panda Antivirus Free. This test already linked by me is most recent from 11.09.2023:
https://www.experte.com/antivirus/panda
But as I already stated, those tests that are not performed by independent testing laboratories should be taken with extreme caution. They are not really objective which is a problem in general. Very often, missing features that no one really needs :no: are the reason for bad results. :o

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie-denk-59.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Basically, it should also be mentioned here that it is actually incredible to still have companies providing antimalware programmes for Windows XP, an operating system for which support was officially discontinued in 2014, quite apart from whether or not these programmes meet the often high demands of users. And by that I really mean all the manufacturers that still support Windows XP (and also Windows Vista) in any form in these days, such as Malwarebytes, Panda, Avast, MicroWorld Technologies Inc, AVG (actually Avast again), Qihoo 360, Glarysoft, and so on. :thumbup 

I think a thank you for that to them all was long overdue. thanx.gif

gif_23.gifAstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

AVG Antivirus Free

AVG AntiVirus Free edition provides realtime protection to your Windows PC from viruses, spyware, ransomware, and other malware. It can block unsafe links, downloads, and email attachments before they are run. Present version comes with an added layer of ransomware protection, which also stops hackers from hijacking your webcam. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 is the last compatible version with Windows XP and, as the name implies, free of charge. Although AVG AntiVirus Free 18.8.4084.0 doesn't receive programme updates, it still protects Windows XP owners with regular virus definition updates.

Main features:

• Real-Time PC Protection - Instantly protects you against even the latest threats.
  • Web Protection - Scans your devices and blocks unsafe links and downloads.
  • Email Protection - Scans your emails (POP3, IMAP4, SMTP) and blocks unsafe links, downloads and attachments.

Homepage:

https://www.avg.com/en-us/windows-xp-antivirus#pc

http://web.archive.org/web/20181129115122/https://www.avg.com/en-us/windows-xp-antivirus

Version number: 18.8.4084.0

Date of release: 26.11.2018

System requirements: Compatibel with Microsoft Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 und XP.

Version history: There is none.

Tests:

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-july-november-2018/

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/avc_prot_2018b_en.pdf

award-27513-1683016-stars3.png

Reviews: 

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/avg-antivirus-free

https://www.technadu.com/avg-antivirus-free-review/13191/

User experiences:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184730-antimalware-firewall-and-other-security-programs-for-windows-xp-working-in-2023-and-hopefully-beyond/?do=findComment&comment=1253727 by @WSC4

Download links:

Online installer:

http://web.archive.org/web/20181129115104if_/https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x/avg_antivirus_free_setup.exe

Offline installer:

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x-xp/avg_antivirus_free_setup_offline.exe

Virus database offline updater:

https://install.avcdn.net/avinitro/aviupd.exe

Uninstaller:

And a further tool associated with this AVG version is the AVG Clear 18.8.4084.0 to get rid of all installed components if necessary:

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x-xp/avgclear.exe

Screenshots:

AVG-Antivirus-Free.png

AVG-Antivirus-Free-3.jpg

AVG-Antivirus-Free-4.jpg

AVG-Antivirus-Free-5.jpg

Besides all the "objective" facts I have listed above, now some of my own experiences I made in the past. And to be fair, the positives first. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 seems to have a good detection rate in recognising malware as stated in the tests performed by AV comparatives. AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 offers a real-time PC protection. It is free of charge, compatible with Windows XP, and it still receives definition updates. Now, the negatives. The installation package and the programme itself is unfortunately bloated such as Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.4084.0. Not to mention the resource consumption I had to observe which is especially a problem on old, weak computers. In my opinion, AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 is a cheap imitation of Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.4084.0. As reported by me several times, I had various problems with Avast. But AVG takes the cake. :realmad: After installing, AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 caused only problems, crashed my Windows XP computer, and generated BSODs. panne1.gifThat's why I provided the download link to AVG Clear 18.8.4084.0 to get rid of this version completely if you should suffer from similar problems. AVG or more precisely Avast does not provide an own version history for AVG Antivirus Free. IMHO, the choice between AVG and Avast is actually a bit like between plague and cholera maintete.gif, but I would always choose Avast if I had to. This is hopefully never the case again, though. :P TBH, I actually have listed AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 here only for completeness to let the users decide themselves. smilie-denk-49.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

PS:
The research for this article was hell. smilie_g_002.gif Useful information about AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0 was almost impossible to find. :no: The support (Avast) only points to their own Avast products. :angry:
If someone is looking for support for AVG Antivirus Free 18.8.4084.0, he can expect something. And I don't mean anything good by that. Personally, I will think three times from now on whether I write anything about AVG again. suisjebete.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content