My Browser Builds (Part 4)

21 hours ago, schwups said:

https://www.livefromiceland.is/
https://www.mediamarkt.de/

are broken since versions 20230318 here.

The (mediamarkt|saturn).de rendering issue has been already reported here in this thread in late July, by your compatriot @lh2500 :

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184051-my-browser-builds-part-4/?do=findComment&comment=1249726

The discussion that followed dissected the problem and the cause was found to be no support for "CSS revert" in UXP ...

These two German websites mostly work with the userscript kindly posted by @UCyborg (and linked to above by @nicolaasjan) ; if you want them to display exactly as they were meant, you'd have to use Kafan Minibrowser (Chromium 87-based) with "experimental-web-platform-features" turned on - this supposes you can at least use XP SP3 x86 :dubbio:...

If you don't want to use a userscript in St52/NM28 or can't run KafanMiniBrowser, the UXP "hacks" I posted already do still apply: 

On 7/30/2023 at 5:28 AM, VistaLover said:

"Dirty" workaround in Serpent 52:

Pick only one (doesn't matter which) on the list of below four "about:config" prefs:

layout.css.all-shorthand.enabled;true
layout.css.is-where-pseudo.enabled;true
layout.css.legacy-negation-pseudo.enabled;false
layout.css.unset-value.enabled;true

... and toggle its value; then the sites will render OK:

The same route will render

https://www.livefromiceland.is/

mostly operational... And @Mathwiz was quick to post :sneaky: as I was composing mine, so congrats to him! :P

Edited by VistaLover

On 11/11/2023 at 5:28 AM, DanR20 said:

FWIW, it looks like Microsoft did away with the previous usable Hotmail format,
so now the default string in 52.0 and 55.0 will take you to the bare minimum format similar to gmail's.

... Apparently, even gmail's :angry: bare minimum format lies on its deathbed:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183352-proxhttpsproxy-and-httpsproxy-in-windows-xp-for-future-use/?do=findComment&comment=1255546

:realmad: :angry:  :realmad: ...

Many websites seem to be switching to Discourse for the forum. Unusually, both commercial and free sites are converging on this flat (modern, clean, secure, streamlined) platform, where the page can't be scrolled in either New Moon or Serpent. A user-agent hack doesn't seem like a good solution if I need to add it for each website I have entered from search.

The solution is to append ?_escaped_fragment_ (or &_escaped_fragment_) to the URL, and again after following a link, which feels like a Touch Typing Simulator.

On 11/20/2023 at 7:10 AM, j7n said:

Many websites seem to be switching to Discourse for the forum.
.... where the page can't be scrolled in either New Moon or Serpent.

A user-agent hack doesn't seem like a good solution if I need to add it for each website I have entered from search.

@j7n: UXP-based browsers have all the necessary mechanics (I'd say 99.9% of them) to properly display ALL discourse-based forums; the real issue is discourse's  stupid/overzealous :realmad: browser-feature sniffing scripts, which are BLOCKING the UXP-based browsers because they can't detect support for certain features (no doubt present in recent Chromium/Firefox) which are not indispensable for these forums to function as expected...

My own solution in St52 since months ago involves:

1. A SSUAO for discourse-based assets (not even sure this is still needed today):

general.useragent.override.discourse-cdn.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:115.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

2. Blocking those overzealous scripts in your content blocker of choice :sneaky: ; I simply use uBlock Origin "legacy" and in the "My Filters" tab I've added this filter:

! Discourse-based forums
||*/assets/browser-detect-$script,important

After that, ALL discourse-based forums display correctly (and this includes vertical scrolling :yes: ), e.g. :

https://forums.docker.com/c/docker-desktop-for-windows/48

u1tnOtO.png

I added the user-agent. But the forums still don't work with only this change. I restarted the brower and found a fresh Discourse forum. At the moment I don't use a complex adblock to avoid slowing down the browser.

21 minutes ago, j7n said:

I don't use a complex adblock to avoid slowing down the browser.

... As I have explained already, without blocking those "browser-detect" discourse scripts, you won't be able to get this working; what is the "less complex" type of adblock that you currently use (because I can't believe there exist people "here" browsing the web of 2023 without any type of adblock) ?

FWIW, you can always use a new St52 profile with just uBO (or other script blocker), specifically for Discourse-based forums (in any case, you can at least try this to verify my solution really works ;) ) ...

PS: It is my experience that content blockers do not slow down browsers, at least not to a perceivable extent (unless, ofc, you load too many filter lists in them); blocking all those third-party resources, i.e. scripts (especially miners), ad video, ad images, etc., results in quicker page loads and reduced bandwidth usage, if anything - YMMV, ofc :P ...

PS2: Are you familiar with the English adage "You can't have your cake and eat it, too" ?
You come here and ask for solution to a problem, an offered, proven, one involves slightly modifying "your" workflow (i.e. employing a script blocker), with minimal or zero risks, yet you remain reluctant to apply the proposed solution - while I do indeed respect your choices, often times the key to success is simple compromises ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

A DNS list in my router. It can filter out completely bad servers, but doesn't have the granularity to do individual URLs. Over time, the list of bad ad servers grows to immense length. I forgot which adblock I tried in Firefox, and adding an URL was a bit of hassle through the javascript/xul interface (it required special regex-like syntax for the simplest url), and I had to rely on downloading a pre-made list.

Screenshot_2023-11-22_00-12-57.png

Edited by j7n

11 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

FWIW, you can always use a new St52 profile with just uBO (or other script blocker), specifically for Discourse-based forums (in any case, you can at least try this to verify my solution really works ;) ) ...

:thumbup

BTW, the user agent override looks redundant.

Has anyone noticed recently that the 2 buttons next to the files (or folders) inside an archive don't show any text in Dropbox in Serpent 52? The sign up button also doesn't show any text. Here's an example link to test.

sf-D3eq-Vk-ZC.png

Edited by mina7601
Added example link and screenshot

On 11/19/2023 at 3:54 PM, VistaLover said:

It is, going out in January and they're already sending out their pester messages to "upgrade". When I get around to it I'll be setting up my gmail account with Thunderbird.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:10 AM, j7n said:

Many websites seem to be switching to Discourse for the forum. Unusually, both commercial and free sites are converging on this flat (modern, clean, secure, streamlined) platform, where the page can't be scrolled in either New Moon or Serpent.

Did you notice, @j7n and @VistaLover, that vertical scrolling is indeed possible on those sites by using the arrow-up/down and page-up/down keys (at least in St.52 , be sure to click on the canvas first to ensure it gets the focus)?

Hence that sabotage/discrimination of UXP browsers could be estimated only as partial successful -_-

9 hours ago, Mark-XP said:

that vertical scrolling is indeed possible on those sites by using the arrow-up/down and page-up/down keys (at least in St.52 , be sure to click on the canvas first to ensure it gets the focus)?

... Yes, it is :P ; so does middle-clicking my mouse inside the page and moving its wheel up/down:

JTuFh2O.png

But my point isn't limited to just being able to scroll ; if one doesn't thwart discourse's browser-detection scripts, one will just get the dumbed-down version of the discourse-based forum, with limited functionality - and a top banner:

Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply.

which needs further actions to be removed (cosmetic filtering, if you use a content blocker :whistle:, or a userstyle), if not just ignored...

Kindest regards :) !

I can't do the middle-click in New Moon. It might be specific to the application or mouse drivers. It works in Opera 12 and some other programs like Microsoft Word, but not in simple text fields. But I find it hard to control and unnecessarily smooth (higher cpu load). I can press Page Up and Page Down.

The banner is small and it doesn't follow if you scroll down. It is smaller than cookie-law banners.