My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

52esr is really out of date now but still useful for some sites

I know. I'm willing to give it a try.

Even in Windows7 using the latest FF release I feel like I'm having trouble getting off the ground when logging on to facebook.

I think it's understandable and I find it a minor detail that Serpent sometimes can't handle it. It works perfectly on all the other sites I visit.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I just call it Xitter now. "Xi" pronounced as in Xi Jinping, President of China.

Why would you name it after a president of a country where X is completely banned there? But yeah, I like that name to be honest, after thinking about it for a bit. :buehehe:

47 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Why would you name it after a president of a country

... We're again steadily drifting off-topic :D, but, e.g.,

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/elon-musks-business-ties-china-draw-scrutiny-twitter-purchase-rcna26057

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/technology/elon-musk-china-tesla.html

@mina7601 : Are you into world politics at all (given your young age) ? :P

Greetings :) ...

Edited by VistaLover

To be clear, "Xitter" was just a mashup of X and Twitter. I didn't intend to bring up geopolitics; only to use President Xi's name as a pronunciation guide :lol:

Meanwhile, back in Serpentland:

23 hours ago, DanR20 said:

No problem. 52esr is really out of date now but still useful for some sites.

21 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I know. I'm willing to give it a try.

Even in Windows7 using the latest FF release I feel like I'm having trouble getting off the ground when logging on to facebook.

I think it's understandable and I find it a minor detail that Serpent sometimes can't handle it. It works perfectly on all the other sites I visit.

I wonder if a FF 52.9 user agent is all that's needed to dissuade Facebook from sending all the Googlescript that slows UXP down so badly? I've seen this elsewhere; e.g., office.com runs much faster, although you lose some features (and Micro$oft will show you an annoying "update your browser" banner :angry: )

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I wonder if a FF 52.9 user agent is all that's needed to dissuade Facebook from sending all the Googlescript that slows UXP down so badly

I wish I had the knowledge you guys have. Congratulations to all of you. You amaze me. I'm just a mere tester at best.

What I can tell you is that I still couldn't find any FF 52.9 link that I find reliable (I always prefer portables) so Dan's suggestion led me to think about trying to browse facebook with my old Mypal 29.2.1 and the behavior is pretty normal. You notice how outdated it is but it never crashes or closes on its own. All basic functions work. After some time it also seems to "get tired" and it is necessary to close the tab and reopen it because it won't load any more content.

In the last few days they have changed something on https://dlive.tv and the live broadcasts have stopped working. Off line videos work without a problem, only live broadcasts have a problem. When you click on one of the proposed channels with live transmission, the transmission does not start, only a message appears in the window:

Dlive.png.936f5cd5c383f52d4bad8c88ae8b7e65.png

5 hours ago, j7n said:

If Serpent is version 52, and vanilla Firefox is also 52, why would the latter work better? Does it really work faster on Facebook?

It makes perfect sense that Firefox 52 could be faster than Serpent 52 (I have not personally tested).

When it comes to browsers, it is VERY COMMON for OLDER browsers to be faster.

And technically, Serpent 52 is not really "52".  It's more like "52 and three fourths".

Just as one example, Firefox does not support "nullish coalescing operator" until version 72  --  https://caniuse.com/mdn-javascript_operators_nullish_coalescing

But despite Serpent being only "52", my Serpent 52 dated 2023-07-31 [I run an older version intentionally] does support "nullish coalescing operator".

So by that operator alone, we are not 52 but 72.  But what else can 72 do that 52 cannot?  So we cannot really call it 72.  So "52 and three fourths".

Although, if you look at the about screen, we don't really call it 52...  we call it 52.9.0.  So "52 and nine tenths".  :cool:

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

To be clear, "Xitter" was just a mashup of X and Twitter. I didn't intend to bring up geopolitics; only to use President Xi's name as a pronunciation guide :lol:

Yes, that's the exact reason I like it. Anyway, thank you for it, it really gave me a good laugh. :buehehe:

Edited by mina7601

Version numbers don't say much in roytam1's world, at least in the following 3 browsers, it's the date that's more important. Upstream Basilisk directly uses date for version number, but for these forks, from my understanding:

• Serpent 52.9.0 - browser like Firefox 52.9.0 ESR + updates by the MCP
  • New Moon 28 - browser like "new" Pale Moon
  • New Moon 27 - browser like "old" Pale Moon

BTW, I noticed actual Firefox 52.9.0 has more animations in GUI, like when you click the downloads button, popup animates into place. Similar the popup of uBlock Origin extension when you click its button. Is this enablable in any descendent browser?

7 hours ago, adata said:

This site tries to, among other things, create over 16 WebGL contexts! Intentionally or due to its code crapping out? :dubbio:

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

When it comes to browsers, it is VERY COMMON for OLDER browsers to be faster.

While doing less than new browsers, as you pointed out.

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I wonder if a FF 52.9 user agent is all that's needed to dissuade Facebook from sending all the Googlescript that slows UXP down so badly?

Haven't tried the user agent on newer browser, but actual Firefox 52.9.0 doesn't seem to work with Facebook.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, roytam1 said:

you have to enable security.ssl.enable_tls13_compat_mode in about:config

I changed the value to true

security_ssl.enable_tls13_compat_mode.png.9d2d30a52035c69d04ef7d29d56fbf0d.png

but it did not do anything. I managed to access the page a few times after the changes, came back in the evening and again the error when trying to access the page and the error continues.

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Upstream Basilisk directly uses date for version number

Something I've long advocated for official Firefox, Chrome/ium, Edge, etc. Enough already with these silly "my version number is bigger than yours" wars! All it accomplishes is a "new" version every few weeks that barely differs from the previous one, except of course for whatever Googlisms or Mozilla-isms someone decided CSS or Javascript just had to have added this month.