My Browser Builds (Part 4)

23 hours ago, j7n said:

It's the "55" version. I don't know what the differences between them are exactly, and assumed that is sligthly newer and better.

... You assumed wrong! :( I have practically run out of breath :angry: in these threads saying that just because St55 has an appVersion (55) greater than St52's (52), that doesn't imply at all "it's slightly newer and better"...

St55 is a "relic" browser application, initially seeing the light of day as a fork of upstream Basilisk test browser application, built on UXP Take 1 platform (aka moebius); moebius was mainly based on a Mozilla Nightly 53.0a1 platform snapshot (which, to this day, no-one among "us", even roytam1, is able to trace exactly ;) ), with bits of Mozilla 54 and 55 squeezed in; appVersion 55 was chosen for purely "sensationalistic" :whistle: reasons...

When upstream killed moebius in favour of UXP Take 2 (i.e. current UXP), roytam1 kept that tree and occasionally (monthly) updated it with code from other repos, like Mozilla itself, TenFourFox, IceWeasel53 and UXP; during one of the CoVid19 lockdowns in Hong Kong, roytam1 found the (huge) amount of time needed to realise the task of bringing his St55, engine-wise, "closer" to his UXP-based browsers, i.e. St52 and NM28; let me assure you that, by that time, UXP had progressed so far from its initial fork point of Mozilla ESR 52.6.0, that St55 was lagging way behind it...

After that task was (mostly) completed, St55 tries to keep up with upstream UXP and St52, hence weekly updates for it are back, but even now St55 isn't 100% on par with St52, feature-wise ;) ...

If you ask me, the two reasons to prefer St55 over St52 are:

1. You're using (the otherwise unsupported) forced multiprocess mode in the browser, since, by inheritance from Fx-53.0a1, St55 has slightly better e10s support compared to St52 (which it inherited from Fx52 - upstream have, by now, eradicated all traces of e10s from their "official" UXP tree).

2. You have a need to use some WebExtensions which target/work with Fx53+, but don't with Fx52 - WE support, as inherited from Fx-53.0a1, is "slightly" better to the one currently extant in St52 - again, MCP have, by now, eradicated all traces of WE support from their "official" UXP tree...

In the future, when people in these threads report issues with "Serpent", they should definitely "clarify" which one they're talking about :whistle:...

On 10/16/2023 at 4:50 AM, roytam1 said:

As you might have guessed by now :P, my reason for arriving at #1361475 was solely the generated error inside the log @j7n had posted previously; you (and I) assumed he was using the UXP-based St52 and the "upstream fix" (from 2019) you linked to is relevant just for UXP; has this "fix" been ported over to your Basilisk55 tree already/is it present since the moebius very beginning? If not, I'm still right pointing the finger at Bugzilla #1361475 for generating:

TypeError: Argument 1 of AudioContext.constructor '[object Object]' is not a valid value for enumeration AudioChannel.

Respectful regards :) ...

Edited by VistaLover
various English corrections/formatting

I'm beginning to understand why Mozilla considered the version number to be a "bug" at one point. They have successfully subverted it. After updating to Serpent 52 in place and copying over the existing profile, ClickPlayPics now work with "low" CPU usage. It is very simple, and I can't observe a difference between angle on and off. Aquarium has the same performance as in Serpent 55.

11 hours ago, roytam1 said:

... Yes, it appears dbsoft (aka Brian Smith), the leading MacOS upstream developer :P, is (occasionally?) monitoring this thread :thumbup :

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1442#issuecomment-38212

Even Moonchild himself got involved ;) ; however, as I stated in my original post, MCP's Stream API implementation is still in an "embryonic" state (FxESR 68 levels) and, despite the linked "partial fix", vk.com video clips will remain mostly incompatible:

dbsoft wrote:

So, either readable streams needs to be toggled off for vk.com or we need to push the spec past Firefox 68's implementation.

Moonchild wrote:

... but I think we need to prioritize our stability here before looking at satisfying Russian Facebook, and having broad compatibility. This is the initial implementation after all, we know it's not complete -- quite possible it wants later spec changes or WriteableStreams as well

TL;DR: Even when that "partial fix" lands on our UXP forks, @Mehmed will have to keep the Streams API disabled, if he's a frequent user of VK ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

Since last May 3rd, GitHub's layout is rendered considerably BROKEN under UXP-based browsers, but, at the same time, remains 95% usable... The breakage in the layout is caused by UXP not supporting max()/min() CSS functions, first implemented in Fx75:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/max

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/min

This is being tracked by upstream in #2230 :P (read PM Forum entry here); since Mozilla implemented that in Stylo, it's a Herculean task to backport this to UXP, hence that issue hasn't seen any activity whatsoever over the last 5 1/2 months :( ...

Until June 16th, it was still possible to revert to the old layout, that rendered OK in UXP, by blocking several so-called "primer-primitives" GitHub CSS files, but that trick stopped working past the aforementioned date :angry: ...

To add insult to injury, Microsoft today shoved down GitHub users' throats :realmad: another layout abomination in the shape of the "Global Navigation Update", which was, until today, just a "Feature Preview" one was able to toggle off...

People are, of course, just hugely dissatisfied, e.g.

https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/52083#discussioncomment-7297619

https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/52083#discussioncomment-7297646

https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/58295

but, as ever, big companies like MS will simply force their own "vision of progress" :puke: ...

Here's an archived screengrab taken on 2023/05/01:

AfkvlDX.png

whereas below is the same GH URI as it renders now in St52:

8uy4kjX.png

The red rectangle highlights the broken area :realmad: in the new GitHub "header" :angry: :( ; this, I found, can be mitigated for now by blocking another set of "primer-primitives" GitHub CSS files, and I did that via a custom filter inside uBO-legacy:

||github.githubassets.com/assets/primer-primitives-$stylesheet,domain=github.com,important

Result:

NjALbbK.png

Of course, the new layout abomination also broke several custom userstyles/userscripts I have installed for GitHub that target its header, thus exacerbating my overall frustration :o over this unwarranted change (for the worse) ; it's final :(: "desktop" web page design has ceased to exist; convert everything to a mobile-friendly layout, with ceaseless page scrolling :angry: added on top as cake frosting :realmad: (Google Search :realmad: did exactly that some weeks ago, abolishing search result pagination) ...

Edited by VistaLover

On 10/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, VistaLover said:

It loads without "an actual web server", if file "Lights.html" is drag-n-dropped on a Serpent 52 New Tab, provided you temporarily disable (from true to false) "security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy" pref

Thanks, but I also need Chromium compatible solution and setting up a web server seemed easier solution at the time for me than navigating those dumpsters that are about:config and Chromium flags/command-line parms. Looks like Chromium way is --allow-file-access-from-files command-line parameter.

@j7n @Ben Markson

One WebGL example with better backwards compatibility with old browsers is port of ioquake3. It also works (fluently) with old Chromium 39 build 291943.

Pretty sure I remember it running here (sluggishly) with St52 from July, now it errors out with the build from last Saturday. So suddenly can't store its files anymore? :dubbio:

spacer.png

In this example, ANGLE works much better in Chromium. It's not meant to be THAT slow as Mozilla based browsers would have you believe, it was meant to avoid glitches of many poor OpenGL drivers. Some maps get slower with all 5 bots, didn't try CMPA maps yet that are generally more demanding with bots, only Vanilla Q3 ones, of those, q3dm17 is more demanding.
Shift+ESC, open the console, type /cg_drawFPS 1 to enable FPS counter.
Also if you mess with graphics settings in the menu, you'll mess up the resolution, to revert to default, do /r_mode -2;vid_restart (this takes "desktop" resolution, at least it should if you have browser in fullscreen mode, it's how it works in conventional desktop version).

Although there could still be specific examples that vary through between Chromium and Firefox in performance, so far, it seems likely that WebGL worked consistently better throughout the history on Chromium, at least where implemented. While very old Chromium could be tried to see if that holds for even earlier times, finding compatible content would be more difficult. I'm also taking in consideration my experiences on Linux, where on the same system, browser as recent as Firefox 110 cannot run even simpler content smoothly while even slightly older Chromium (94 era) can.

Poor WebGL performance seems to be one thing that official Pale Moon for Linux and roytam1's builds for XP have in common. And there is obvious evidence that it can work better on both platforms.

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

over this unwarranted change (for the worse) ; it's final :(: "desktop" web page design has ceased to exist - convert everything to a mobile-friendly layout, with ceaseless page scrolling :angry: added on top as cake frosting :realmad: (Google Search :realmad: did exactly that some weeks ago, abolishing search result pagination) ...

Funny reading that considering I used AutoPager extension back in the day to get that endless scrolling, that was before smartphones were popular. Well, the result was better, you still had pages clearly separated, but it auto-loaded the next when you got to the end.

Edited by UCyborg

21 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The red rectangle highlights the broken area :realmad: in the new GitHub "header" :angry: :( ; this, I found, can be mitigated for now by blocking another set of "primer-primitives" GitHub CSS files, and I did that via a custom filter inside uBO-legacy:

||github.githubassets.com/assets/primer-primitives-$stylesheet,domain=github.com,important

Result:

NjALbbK.png

Thanks for the fix! It works as described in Serpent 52, but unfortunately not in New Moon 28. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Hmm.... it seems I still have the old GitHub interface on St (both 52 and 55).

image.thumb.png.0bf6c19a806a1ba0647ff946edf46746.png

IDK; maybe the trick is simply to use an old user agent?

general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:None) Goanna/20170101 Basilisk/55.0.0
general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:4.8) Goanna/20170101 Basilisk/52.9.0

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Hmm.... it seems I still have the old GitHub interface on St (both 52 and 55).

image.thumb.png.0bf6c19a806a1ba0647ff946edf46746.png

IDK; maybe the trick is simply to use an old user agent?

general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:None) Goanna/20170101 Basilisk/55.0.0
general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
general.useragent.override.github.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:4.8) Goanna/20170101 Basilisk/52.9.0

because you are not signed in to github.

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:
10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

but unfortunately not in New Moon 28. :(

... I beg to differ ;) :

vL0Os4G.png

then:

HzCjMFv.png

Sorry, my bad! I didn't notice that I had disabled uBlock Origin on GitHub in the past. suisjebete.gif Thus, the filter had no effect. After enabling, everything works as described by you. Thanks again! :)

21 minutes ago, luweitest said:

Where is the Serpent 52's location sharing permission to websites stored?

Site permissions are stored inside the permissions.sqlite file, inside St52's profile directory;

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1091830

You can use the SQLite Manager extension in Firefox to inspect SQLite database files.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/

// should be now findable inside CAA

permissions.sqlite stores site specific permissions (Site Preferences) as you can see by its name.

If you're asking how to modify the "location sharing permission" on a given website, then the article above also covers that scenario:

You can inspect and manage permissions for the domain in the currently selected tab via these steps:

click the "Site Identity Button" (globe/padlock) on the location/address bar

click "More Information" to open "Tools > Page Info" with the Security tab selected

Go to the Permissions tab (Tools > Page Info > Permissions) to check the permissions for the domain in the currently selected tab.

6JZ4hHK.png

(View) Page Info is also available via the browser's Context Menu :P ...

10 hours ago, roytam1 said:

because you are not signed in to github.

OK, maybe that makes sense to Micro$oft - but not to me! Why on Earth does their GitHub UI change if you sign in? I would expect the only change to be the words "Sign in" change to "Sign out." But, I guess not in Micro$oftLand. At any rate, given that Micro$oft has now made GitHub users jump through hoops just to "sign in," I doubt I'll bother myself any more with this.

3 hours ago, luweitest said:

Where is the Serpent 52's location sharing permission to websites stored? The new Firefox setting is not available.

Follow-up: where are the defaults (if "Use Default" is checked) stored and can the defaults be modified?