My Browser Builds (Part 4)

On 7/7/2023 at 6:37 AM, Mathwiz said:

What's relevant to this forum, perhaps, is that, for a Vista user, St 55 likely lacks Vista WMF support,

... This is not accurate, though, because roytam1 did restore :thumbup the bits of code that implement native Vista SP2 WMF support that Mozilla (and MCP) had originally removed...

On 7/7/2023 at 6:37 AM, Mathwiz said:

since both browsers already include extensive (non-WMF) media support for the benefit of XP users.

Yes, that's true, support for patented decoders aiming the XP OS (and Vista without PUS[Platform Update Supplement]) had been realised via modifying the ffvpx library, which uses ffmpeg code...

Latest St55 (32-bit) comes with both

media.wmf.enabled;true
media.ffvpx.enabled;true

and if I disable ffvpx, the app can still play back MP4 files via Vista's WMF ;) ; the only major advantage of Vista's WMF over the ffvpx lib is that WMF allows for H/W decoding of h.264 video, provided your GFX card supports it; mine doesn't :( , so ffvpx stays turned ON...

On the Vista side of things, however, two "things" at least remain broken :(...

a. The default St55 (complete) theme renders unsatisfactorily in the caption buttons (minimize/maximize-restore/close) area; it was all fine in the first St55 builds, below is a snapshot from a March 2018 St55 build:

pq2Huxz.jpg

(which shows good rendering around the caption buttons area), but at some later point (I think it was one tenfourfox backport?) it broke in the same manner the default St52 theme renders under Vista:

0cy8I5W.jpg

b. While St55 is still being built with "--enable-eme=widevine", its EME/WV implementation has been broken since many years :(; by "broken" I don't mean that the WV CDM "can't properly decrypt DRM'ed content", this is to be expected if Widevine worked in the first place ;) , because St55 inherited WV v1.4.8.903 from Mozilla, and that very old version has been deprecated by Google :angry: many years ago :( ...

The actual problem/bug is that currently St55 doesn't even recognise the WV CDM when correctly installed and it doesn't display it at all inside the about:plugins list (provided "Play DRM content" has been enabled in preferences); this is a long standing issue I never bothered to report, because I normally use St52 to detect DRMed online media content ;) ...

Unlike the default theme issue above (a), I had kept records of the manifestation of this bug, here it goes:

Last GOOD build:

basilisk55-win32-git-20190330-09b851794-xpmod (buildID=20190329133942)

First BAD build:

basilisk55-win32-git-20190406-4d70836fa-xpmod (buildID=20190405065215)

Regression window:

https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55/compare/09b851794...4d70836fa

Probable culprit:

ported change from iceweaselXP-53: Restored eme-adobe plugin support for Windows XP systems.

So, in order to supply Windows XP users with an additional way to play-back MP4/m4a files in St55 (via the Adobe Primetime CDM, already familiar with in FxESR 52/St52), Widevine CDM became broken for Vista+ users :angry: :( ...

Widevine CDM v1.4.8.903 for St55 (32-bit):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jrjkcqazh1xz6ce/gmp-widevinecdm.7z/file

(The file should be extracted as a "gmp-widevinecdm\1.4.8.903\*" dir tree and placed inside your St55 profile directory); testing should be done on, e.g.,

https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

on fully updated Vista SP2 onwards, with up-to (and including) "basilisk55-win32-git-20190330-09b851794-xpmod":

nzephQF.png

Later versions of St55 will just report:

Ka4E26n.png

Edited by VistaLover
Use of better English

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... This is not accurate, though, because roytam1 did restore back :thumbup the bits of code that implement native Vista SP2 WMF support that Mozilla (and MCP) had originally removed...

Yes, that's true, support for patented decoders aiming the XP OS (and Vista without PUS[Platform Update Supplement]) had been realised via modifying the ffvpx library, which uses ffmpeg code...

Latest St55 (32-bit) comes with both

media.wmf.enabled;true
media.ffvpx.enabled;true

and if I disable ffvpx, the app can still play back MP4 files via Vista's WMF ;) ; the only major advantage of Vista's WMF over the ffvpx lib is that WMF allows for H/W decoding of h.264 video, provided your GFX card supports it; mine doesn't, so ffvpx stays turned ON...

On the Vista side of things, however, two "things" at least remain broken :(...

a. The default St55 (complete) theme renders unsatisfactorily in the caption buttons (minimize/maximize-restore/close) area; it was all fine in the first builds, below is a snapshot from a March 2018 St55 build:

pq2Huxz.jpg

(which is good rendering around the caption buttons area), but at some later point (I think it was one tenfourfox backport?) it broke in the same manner the default St52 theme renders under Vista:

0cy8I5W.jpg

b. While St55 is still being built with "--enable-eme=widevine", its EME/WV implementation has been broken since many years :(; by "broken" I don't mean that the WVCDM "can't properly decrypt DRM'ed content", this is to be expected if Widevine worked in the first place, because St55 inherited WV v1.4.8.903 from Mozilla, and that very old version has been deprecated by Google many years ago...

The actual problem/bug is that currently St55 doesn't even recognise the WV CDM if correctly installed, and it doesn't display it at all inside the about:plugins list (provided "Play DRM content" has been enabled in preferences); this is a long standing issue I never bothered to report, because I normally use St52 to detect DRMed online media content ;) ...

Unlike the default theme issue above (a), I had kept records of the manifestation of this bug, here it goes:

Last GOOD build:

basilisk55-win32-git-20190330-09b851794-xpmod (buildID=20190329133942)

First BAD build:

basilisk55-win32-git-20190406-4d70836fa-xpmod (buildID=20190405065215)

Regression window:

https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55/compare/09b851794...4d70836fa

Probable culprit:

ported change from iceweaselXP-53: Restored eme-adobe plugin support for Windows XP systems.

So, to give Windows XP users an additional way to play-back MP4/m4a files in St55 (via the Adobe Primetime CDM already familiar in FxESR52/St52), Widevine CDM became broken for Vista+ users :angry: :( ...

Widevine CDM v1.4.8.903 for St55 32-bit:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jrjkcqazh1xz6ce/gmp-widevinecdm.7z/file

(The file should be extracted as a "gmp-widevinecdm\1.4.8.903\*" dir tree and placed inside your St55 profile directory); testing should be done on, e.g.,

on fully updated Vista SP2 onwards, with up-to "basilisk55-win32-git-20190330-09b851794-xpmod":

nzephQF.png

later versions will just report:

Ka4E26n.png

what if "media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible" set to false?

On 7/8/2023 at 4:50 AM, roytam1 said:

what if "media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible" set to false?

... I don't even have Adobe Primetime CDM installed in my Serpent 55 profile - never needed it on Vista SP2, TBH ;) ; but, I do have the Cisco Systems OpenH264 video codec v1.6 installed (and disabled), which correctly displays inside about:addons and about:plugins; widevine doesn't in either :(; in my St55 profile, I have:

media.eme.enabled;true
media.gmp-widevinecdm.autoupdate;true
media.gmp-widevinecdm.enabled;true
media.gmp-widevinecdm.visible;true

and the CDM correctly installed.

When I downgrade St55 to a build before Apr 2019, in that same profile, then WV CDM is correctly recognised and additional prefs:

user_pref("media.gmp-widevinecdm.abi", "x86-msvc-x86");
user_pref("media.gmp-widevinecdm.autoupdate", true);
user_pref("media.gmp-widevinecdm.lastUpdate", 1549772952);
user_pref("media.gmp-widevinecdm.version", "1.4.8.903");

appear inside my profile's pref.js file... Update St55 and these prefs are NOT read!

Am afraid I've given all pertinent detail I found at the time; FWIW, I suppose you can troubleshoot DRM/Widevine issues in St55 on a Win7 OS too, probably no immediate need to install a Vista VM (a necessary step to troubleshoot the default St55 theme issue reported though, because under Win7 all looks fine); might be worth to inspect how St52 does it, as there both Adobe Primetime and Widevine can happily coexist...

(Apologies, it's finally bed time here, so I'll be unavailable for quite a while ;) ...)

Edit: See further tests and discussion here ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

@roytam1

The latest Newmoon 27 (tested only the SSE variant) seems to have a nasty bug: there is no address bar (the text area is missing, so there are no place to enter the address)!

(Good news, that many of the nasty crashes - mostly youtube, but not only - are gone, probably by the April 29 update or something around, so the PM 27 is now much more stable.)

2 hours ago, PPeti66x said:

@roytam1

The latest Newmoon 27 (tested only the SSE variant) seems to have a nasty bug: there is no address bar (the text area is missing, so there are no place to enter the address)!

(Good news, that many of the nasty crashes - mostly youtube, but not only - are gone, probably by the April 29 update or something around, so the PM 27 is now much more stable.)

archives updated

23 hours ago, VistaLover said:

roytam1 did restore :thumbup the bits of code that implement native Vista SP2 WMF support that Mozilla (and MCP) had originally removed...

I was going to ask if @roytam1 could do that, but I figured it wasn't worth the trouble - then, it turns out, he had already done so long ago!

FYI, under Win 7, Widevine 1.4.8 is recognized and appears in the "plugins" section of about:addons under St 55, but it doesn't seem to work (Bitmovin's test page reports "No DRM" under the Media Source Extensions side of the page). I suppose it's a moot point, though, since 1.4.8 has long been blacklisted anyway.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

FYI, under Win 7, Widevine 1.4.8 is recognized and appears in the "plugins" section of about:addons under St 55, but it doesn't seem to work (Bitmovin's test page reports "No DRM" under the Media Source Extensions side of the page).

... Thanks a lot for your test :thumbup ; this, in turn, "pushed" me to run a second set of testing, this time with fresh/clean St55 profiles...

TEST 1:

Latest St55 x86 package, i.e.:
basilisk55-win32-git-20230708-fe0a96ad1-xpmod

I loaded a pristine St55 profile and then visited the DRM test page, i.e.:

I let St55 "download and install necessary components" (ca. 5min, for good measure ;)), then I restarted it; result:
The Widevine CDM populates the plugins list inside "about:plugins",

aHwXWmV.png

as well as the plugins list in "about:addons => plugins":

QOBHLLM.png

This means I have to debug my current St55 "dirty" profile as to why WV CDM is absent in both these lists :dubbio:...

However, the end result is the same as reported by @Mathwiz ; EME/DRM/Widevine doesn't work as intended on the browser side:

NOBbODe.png

NB: On that screengrab above, I have also highlighted the "glitches" the default theme exhibits under Vista's Aero...

TEST 2:

Downgrade St55 x86 to the March 30th 2019 package, i.e.:
basilisk55-win32-git-20190330-09b851794-xpmod

Load with it the same clean-ish St55 profile created in TEST 1 and, again, visit the same DRM test page; the "story" now is very different:

a1ORR0V.png

1. The "DRM" icon does appear in the URL bar
2. EME/DRM/Widevine work as intended on the browser side, but DRM licence acquisition fails on the WV server side, because the CDM version requesting it has been revoked...

NB2: One can also visually confirm in the screengrab above how "well" the default St55 theme blends with the Vista OS and its Aero feature ...

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

I suppose it's a moot point, though, since 1.4.8 has long been blacklisted anyway.

... Not "moot point" for me though ;), because when the Widevine implementation in Serpent works (it currently does in 52, does not in 55), it will alert me that the media service visited employs DRM, thus I'll have to view the content on a sanctioned browser, on a sanctioned OS...

If I had to put my money on it, I'd claim:

1. St55's default theme under Vista has been broken by:

port most of XP related hunks from iceweaselXP-53

2. As posted already, Widevine in St55/Vista+ has been broken by:

Do you see it? It was "iceweaselXP" :whistle:(Widevine wasn't "meant" to work under XP, and, likewise, XP doesn't support "Aero"...).

Probably very difficult to fix both now...

for a record, intl changes seems causes FlashGot/DTA/GeA download dialog somewhat broken, with error message in javascript console:

09:40:15.245 Error: No such property on self-hosted object: "get format" 1 DownloadUtils.jsm:501:16
	DU_convertByteUnits resource://gre/modules/DownloadUtils.jsm:501:16
	initIntro resource://gre/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js:629:26
	initDialog resource://gre/components/nsHelperAppDlg.js:464:10
	onload chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul:1:8

for now I cleared startupCache to see if problem persists.

@roytam1 - Please note some issues that I am having with the current (and perhaps previous releases) of MailNews:

(1) Some attachments file types are being misidentified when an email is edited in some way (Editing saved draft, Forwarding composition, etc.).  I have attached copies of two files that may be attached to an email to illustrate the point (attach the files to an email, save the email message, then attempt to edit or forward the message).

(2) When trying to edit a saved email with an attachment that had a file size of zero when it was saved, the attachment is not preserved into the saved copy.

I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 and MailNews from package "mailnews.win32-20230708-ef491d91-uxp-9f1550fb5-xpmod.7z".

New Microsoft Word Document.doc Copy of New Word 2007 Document.docx

8 hours ago, roytam1 said:

for a record, intl changes seems causes FlashGot/DTA/GeA download dialog somewhat broken, with error message in javascript console:

09:40:15.245 Error: No such property on self-hosted object: "get format" 1 DownloadUtils.jsm:501:16

no clue how to fix this properly, but I think I can workaround it! https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/6917ca052b063c9c3ea35c092a95ae48a1527d86

@Roytam1

in the latest 64bit version New Moon 28 the downloads drop box in the toolbar is unresponsive.. In addition, Downloads part of Library tool remains empty. Previous version of omni.ja restores a correct behaviour. (I didn't tested 32bit version of NM28)

Edit: Please disregard my complaint. After I restored omni.ja to the current version, everyting returned to normal. I am clueless,,,

Sorry for bothering!

have a nice day!

Edited by Proteus

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Hello @roytam1! I use Grabit (in the version 32.0) instead of FlashGot in Serpent 52 (basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20230708) and in New Moon 28 (palemoon-28.10.7a1.win32-git-20230708). Is Grabit affected, too? :dubbio: I have checked both browsers and can't see any problems in terms of broken dialogues. Grabit simply does its job. FYI, Grabit is a fork of FlashGot, but I think you are already aware of this extension. :)
Some minutes ago, I also checked Get'emAll! in New Moon 28 and couldn't observe any broken dialogues, either. Maybe, you could be so kind to describe these errors more detailed to understand what you mean. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content