My Browser Builds (Part 4)

48 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Mozilla made it harder in FF (and consequently MyPal) 68 and above; you now have to set a Windows environment variable vs. just changing a pref in about:config, but it's still doable.

In Mypal 68, the settings for enabling single-process mode are a bit different. Have a look here: 

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Well. Setting browser.tabs.remote.autostart to false is the "traditional" (FF vers. 54-67) means of disabling multiprocess mode. In FF 68+ this no longer works (at least not by itself), hence the article I linked to.

I can think of a couple of reasons why it may still work in MyPal 68:

1. @feodor2 intentionally re-enabled the setting in MyPal
  2. The other settings you listed in your post allow the "disabled" setting to work anyhow.

If it's #2, the combination of four settings you listed may work in Firefox itself as well as MyPal 68. Should be worth a try, at least!

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have the RAM (physical, or virtual via, say, a fast SSD) you should probably leave e10s enabled for better security and crash resistance.

That advice doesn't necessarily apply to Serpent, though, where you have to forcibly enable e10s. (There's a pinned thread explaining how.) Many legacy extensions won't work correctly with e10s enabled, so you need to balance what you gain against what you lose.

17 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Also, are there any errors/warnings shown in Dev Tools?

Good suggestion. Lots of CSP errors helped me figure it out. Github now requires service workers merely to load its CSS! I use CSP to block service workers except when needed for a site to function. Had to add github.com and githubassets.com to the list of exceptions.

In some ways I think M$ is worse than Google. Google just provides the rope; M$ actively uses it to try to hang you!

Service workers just to load CSS. Sheesh. Could they possibly come up with a more complicated way to perform a simpler task? They must pay their Web developers by the number of lines of code they write!

On 6/15/2023 at 11:57 PM, Mathwiz said:

For legacy extension support, you could try Waterfox Classic. (I've heard good things, but I haven't tried it myself.)

For the memory consumption I'd suggest JustOff's "Lull the Tabs" extension, although I suspect it's a legacy extension that'll only run on Waterfox Classic.

Thank you. I'm going to give Waterfox a try. XP wise I'm very happy with Roytam's Serpent Basilisk. It works really really well.

I'm actually using an addon called New Tab Suspender in the FF installed in W7 and it does exactly that. Thanks again for all the info. Much appreciated.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:29 AM, AstroSkipper said:

One of the reasons I appreciate @roytam1's browser so much

Couldn't agree with you more. Like I said in previous posts I use XP SP2 so I'm testing MyPal 68 in W7 but it's filled with bugs. I just can't get it to work.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, Milkinis said:

I don't use that unnoficial W7 lite crap made in south America.

I have heard many times the original chrome is a notorious memory hog but I'm unable replicate this behavior here.

I can have 50 tabs open at a time with just about 3.5GB of RAM and for XP use I would highly recomment you the rebuild from @NotHereToPlayGames

Thanks for your comments. In my experience official releases are crappy and full of cheese and that's why I always go for any unofficial modification. I have been using Windows UE 6 (my XP machine) for many years now and everything has been satisfying. Even now with this Windows Minios 7 the performance is amazing. As a south american myself, you don't know how much I wish these unofficial versions were French or Italian... it sounds so much cooler!

I'm a legacy FF user, never liked chrome or any google stuff... but I'm gonna try this chrome you recommend and I hope it doesn't come from some caribbean island.

Edited by chermany4ever
space between lines edited

2 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

Couldn't agree with you more. Like I said in previous posts 

:thumbup

2 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I use XP SP2 so I'm testing MyPal 68 in W7 but it's filled with bugs. I just can't get it to work.

AFAIK, according to @feodor2's GitHub page, you need at least Windows XP SP3 completely updated until 2014, and even better would be all POSReady updates until 2019Mypal 68 is not intended to use under Windows 7, but you can try to run it in single-process mode which is the most stable mode. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Mypal 68 is not intended to use under Windows 7, but you can try to run it in single-process mode which is the most stable mode.

@chermany4ever said he doesn't have enough RAM for multiprocess mode, so he should definitely make the settings changes to disable it, whichever FF-based browser he ultimately chooses.

But my experience with using multiprocess mode in Serpent 55 has been generally positive. Besides higher RAM usage, it does have downsides I mentioned earlier, but instability hasn't been one of them. I haven't noticed an increase in crashes, and if a tab does crash, it rarely takes the whole browser down. Instead, you just refresh the crashed tab.

I haven't tried MyPal 68, but I would've expected multiprocess mode to be even more stable by the time Mozilla got to version 68.

Perhaps multiprocess mode has grown less stable on XP since Mozilla obviously doesn't test on XP, but I'd expect it to be OK on Win 7 if you have enough RAM.

10 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I'm going to give Waterfox a try.

Make sure you get Waterfox Classic. AIUI, at some point "Waterfox" got sold to some corporation that wasn't committed to the original spirit of the project, so fans of the "original" Waterfox resurrected the original project as Waterfox Classic.

10 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I'm gonna try this chrome you recommend and I hope it doesn't come from some Caribbean island.

Where it "comes from" is kind of complicated. AIUI, originally it came here from China - via Russia - but our own @NotHereToPlayGames made extensive improvements, removing telemetry, creating an "unGoogled" version, rebasing to reduce RAM use on XP, etc. It has a pretty good reputation on MSFN.

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I haven't tried MyPal 68, but I would've expected multiprocess mode to be even more stable by the time Mozilla got to version 68.

Mypal 68 is a buggy amateur project so you can't compare it to the original Firefox 68

Mypal 68 is far more unstable than the old Firefox releases prior to 52 version

To be fair, MyPal 68 is still in beta, and its author lives in a country at war, so I'm not surprised that 68 still isn't very stable. It's stunning that it works on XP at all, given that Rust was supposedly fundamentally incompatible with XP.

My comments were merely to express surprise that it's more stable in single-process mode, and to wonder whether that applies to Windows 7 or only to XP.

56 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

My comments were merely to express surprise that it's more stable in single-process mode, and to wonder whether that applies to Windows 7 or only to XP.

I use Mypal 68 in single-process mode from the first beta 68.12.0b in April of 2022 until the current third pre-release 68.13.0b. I never had a browser crash nor a BSOD. This browser is totally stable in this mode although it is still in development. @feodor2 is doing a great job. :thumbup Providing a JavaSript engine version 78 in the form of a Firefox derivative for Windows XP is just great and incredible. ssupercool2.gif About the stability of Mypal 68 in multiprocess mode, I can't say anything. I did and do not use it in this mode. smilie_denk_24.gif According to some reports in the issues on GitHub, there seemed to have been stability problems in multiprocess mode.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

if the multi-processes mode was the actual cause, all other web browsers would be equally bad in terms of reliability but I can't remember ever having a BSOD on Serpent browser (BSOD is worse than a simple browser crash)

I haven't tried Mypal 68 on W7 although the Basilisk project doesn't seem to make much sense either with some many better browser alternatives out there for W7 and up

I wish @roytam1 and @basilisk-dev could concentrate their efforts on Mypal 68 rather than having them working on 3  different projects at a time 

Edited by Milkinis

... In addition to the above, basilisk-dev has no plans at all (and this has been specifically communicated here ;)) to invest development efforts on a browser that would run on anything below Win7 SP1 (current minOS requirements of official Basilisk) ...

Best regards :)

13 minutes ago, Milkinis said:
On 6/12/2023 at 10:19 PM, basilisk-dev said:

If there is anything I can do to help feel free to let me know.

... Well. "I" took that to mean he's offering to facilitate any infrastructure migration of the Roytam1 projects, should the existing infrastructure (GitHub repositories, binaries hosting server, etc.) becomes blocked by the HK regime; not as contributing actual code to those projects; but, of course, I'm not basilisk-dev ;) ...

... And if I may say so myself, quite several of the last posts here seem to revolve around Mypal68; well, we do have a dedicated thread for it (possibly more than one), don't we? :P

Edited by VistaLover