Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

On 11/18/2022 at 6:36 AM, win32 said:

Now we are on 110.0.5425.0, and it will no longer launch on a regular Windows 7 install. Three functions needed so far:

SetThreadInformation

SetProcessMitigationPolicy

GetProcessMitigationPolicy

These are all wrappers to older ntdll functions, so they should be easy to add, to some extent. If not, this new code is all in the sandbox anyway.

On windows 8.1, the chrome 110.0.5425 opens and immediately closes, but no error messages, nothing.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:51 PM, yoltboy01 said:

Thanks for checking it win32. You already gave your best with Vista's extended kernel (for which I'm still grateful till this day) and I hope that you will be able to make Chrome run again on Windows 7 after it's final release. Let's also hope that they won't make it harder for Windows 7. Would these functions be easy to add on Vista's extended kernel as well or would you say that we might have to say goodbye to Chrome on Vista, until you manage to add them there too?

I think it's equally as hard to get Chromium back on Vista and 7. I'm sure it will be done.

And it still works on Windows 8 with --no-sandbox for now.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

On windows 8.1, the chrome 110.0.5425 opens and immediately closes, but no error messages, nothing.

Maybe Chrome is too heavy for your Windows RAM; then clean the RAM.. restart Windows and try again, then delete too many bookmarks?..

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

What about win 7 ?

I don't have an install of Windows 7 to test at this time, but I think it should react similarly to Vista because Windows 8 introduced some of the necessary job object features, while Windows 10 introduced the rest.

13 hours ago, D.Draker said:

What about win 7 ?

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I don't have an install of Windows 7 to test at this time, but I think it should react similarly to Vista because Windows 8 introduced some of the necessary job object features, while Windows 10 introduced the rest.

Yeah, it doesn't work. Launched from shortcut btw.

chrome110.png

Edited by mina7601

15 hours ago, msfntor said:

Maybe Chrome is too heavy for your Windows RAM; then clean the RAM.. restart Windows and try again, then delete too many bookmarks?..

Good advice, it will sure help him ))). Listen, the orignal poster you replied to , is off-topic. Do you think we need to alert Astroskipper and also Jody, maybe.

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Appreciate the reply. Yes, the same , like you said. Also they moved to "nothing hardware below win 10", only soft. Could we restore that functionality ?

The comment I wrote in your kernel topic abot Skia. I tried forcing with flags and nothing worked on win 7, not even RawDraw. 

The last 109 win7 chrome looks very ugly without that functionality. Terrible fonts, etc.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:08 AM, D.Draker said:

Appreciate the reply. Yes, the same , like you said. Also they moved to "nothing hardware below win 10", only soft. Could we restore that functionality ?

The comment I wrote in your kernel topic abot Skia. I tried forcing with flags and nothing worked on win 7, not even RawDraw. 

The last 109 win7 chrome looks very ugly without that functionality. Terrible fonts, etc.

Are you saying Chrome 109 won’t work on a Windows 7 install as well?

23 hours ago, Old Technology said:

Are you saying Chrome 109 won’t work on a Windows 7 install as well?

No, 109 is the last one that works on Windows 7. They introduced dll‘s that are only available in Windows 8+, but they also broke compatibility with Windows 8. If you try installing Chromium on Win8/8.1, the browser will start and then immediately close again. However, using —no-sandbox allows you to run the latest Chromium (110.5441) on Windows 8.1. I hope they will not break that one too.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:13 PM, D.Draker said:

They actually might, they read MSFN. I know.

Well who knows? 

I have a bad gut feeling. This whole situation reminds me of when Windows XP and Vista were discontinued by Google. While Chrome 49 was really the last one to work on XP, v50 could still be installed and ran on Vista, without any issues. If I am not wrong, you could also install Chrome 51, but that's when they slowly started to also break compatibility with Vista. Chrome 52 would no longer install on Vista and gave the typcial errors, when you tried to launch new Chrome versions on Vanilla Vista. 

I mean they could also break compatibility with Windows 8.1 at any time right now, but I think it will definitly not be with newer builds of v110 or 111. They are now free to introduce dll's from Windows 10+ at any time.

The only questions is how other browsers will react to this:

Logically, other Chromium based browsers must also stop supporting Windows 7 and 8.1 after they move on from Chromium v109 to 110, but there are some browsers, like Maxthon, who are based on new Chromium versions, but can be run on older systems. I think Maxthon 5.x was on Chromium version 7x/8x and still supported Windows XP and Vista, whereas the last Yandex Version for Windows Vista was v17.4.1.1026, which was based on Chromium 57 or Slimjet 12.0.15, which was based on Chromium 53. I really have no clue how they managed to make these Chromium versions run on those older systems (no judgement pls), but theoretically those companies could also support Windows 7 and 8.1 for longer if they wanted or? 

Curious to know what you guys think. I was just wondering, after I scrolled through the list of Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and saw some entries that surprised me