Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Disabled Skia in chrome://flags - ie, ORIGINAL SETUP.  Score went to 2375.  HIGHEST score so far!  So all of this is simply "margin of error".  Abandoning and keeping my ORIGINAL SETUP.

I tend to leave things alone if there's no noticeable difference and/or don't understand how something works exactly.

I‘m sorry guys but I‘m very confused right now. This topic was intended for the future of Chrome on Windows 7 and possibilities of running newer versions soon but I quite don‘t get what you are discussing here right now. It has nothing to do with the upcoming EOL

4 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I‘m sorry guys but I‘m very confused right now. This topic was intended for the future of Chrome on Windows 7 and possibilities of running newer versions soon but I quite don‘t get what you are discussing here right now. It has nothing to do with the upcoming EOL

Simple, the usage of older versions of Chrome is the furure for win 7. At least a huge chunk of it.

Here we talk how to use them on win 7 and/or make them faster. But, a big but, I wrote and advised to

discuss the relevant versions - 102 and UP. I don't know why the other poster tested Chrome 86.

This question is to him.

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

For now, I will limit this test to my XP x64 machine.  I rarely use my Win10 installs because I can "still" get EVERYTHING done (that I need to do!) in XP.

Original setup flags:
  --disable-logging --no-default-browser-check --disable-component-update --disable-background-networking --allow-outdated-plugins --kiosk-printing --disable-print-preview --cipher-suite-blacklist=0xcc14,0xe013 --ignore-certificate-errors --disable-webgl --js-flags=--noexpose_wasm --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Safari/537.36"

image.thumb.png.988d4626a558a79cb4d55507835dafdc.png

XP and Chrome 86 - non relevant to this topic.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I tend to leave things alone if there's no noticeable difference and/or don't understand how something works exactly.

I tend to read docs on how something works exactly, if they are available.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Have you tried to force RawDraw in newer Chromes or Edge ? I'm getting mixed results. Would be interesting.

5 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I don't know why the other poster tested Chrome 86.

This question is to him.

Easy.  Frame of reference, at least on my end.  Scientific Method - change only one variable at a time.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Easy.  Frame of reference, at least on my end.  Scientific Method - change only one variable at a time.

How it could be scientific, if XP doesn't support ANY form of hardware acceleration, including skia . LOL

So much for your "tests".

17 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Do you have BrowserMetrics .pma (or pva?) 4 or 8 mb files in your data folder in relevant to win 7 chrome, not the 66 one. And not on XP.

I don't have any Win 7 Chrome.  My thanks was in reference to @UCyborg's edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast suggestion as it resolved some fuzzy font edges I was seeing on a sudoku web page in Win10 and Chromium v97.

I'll abandon this thread now.  There's four times as many replies by "us" that are not even on Win 7 (yourself included, aren't you on Vista?).  So I'm confused on why the thread has had my attention in the first place :wacko:

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

1 - There's four times as many replies by "us" that are not even on Win 7 (yourself included, aren't you on Vista?). 

2 - So I'm confused on why the thread has had my attention in the first place :wacko:

1 - Yes, I am, but did tests on Win 7 for the others. 

2 - Because of me.

Goodbye.