VPN for Windows XP

retrotrash69

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

And, once again, nearly all "Free VPN" services are compulsorily crap in one way or another

That's not true. I can also say that XP is outdated crap.

@D.Draker @msfntor Are you sure you're French? I thought the French were well-mannered people.

The cat needs help.

24 minutes ago, artenox said:

That's not true. I can also say that XP is outdated crap.

Unfortunately, I didn't say Free VPN. services are outdated but they are crap. That's a completely different statement. Therefore, the comparison makes no sense at all. nimportequoi.gif

28 minutes ago, artenox said:

The cat needs help.

Although off-topic, you are right. The cat needs definitely help blackcat.gif, but in Munich, the state capital of Bavaria. It's far away from here. jexplique.gif

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

I've found this article (BUT I do not wish to use a proxy... I'm NOT a large firm):

Why Use Proxy & How It Is Important For Your Online Anonymity

By Guest writer 5 days ago

What exactly is a proxy server ...

MORE here: https://www.howandwhys.com/proxy-for-your-online-anonymity/

The quoted article you posted above is about proxy servers and anonymity. This thread is about VPN in Windows XP, though. Conclusion: your posting is off-topic, again, unfortunately. By the way, VPN means Virtual Private Network, and has nothing to do with proxy servers. Truth be told, I usually do not use proxy servers such as anonymous proxies for example but only VPN to get anonymity.

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

Ah I see, I thought proxy it's not far from VPN.

I often get confused between the two, I question whether its a good idea to trust a unknown proxy with my information, who knows if its was/is compromised or a honey pot.

17 hours ago, artenox said:

1 - I can also say that XP is outdated crap.

2 - @D.Draker @msfntor Are you sure you're French? I thought the French were well-mannered people.

3  - The cat needs help.

1 - Saying that "XP is outdated crap" is definitely ill-mannered and not welcome in the society of MSFN,

where the most users are XP/vista, including the moderators.

2 - Yes, we are , also I'm sure you're Russian. Who else would be that rude ?

The French were and are well-mannered and witty people. Thanks for the compliment .

3 - I don't own a "cat".

EDIT:

I'd gladly make you a compliment too, and your country/nationality is hidden. But let me guess, Russia ?

*Surprise* -  I already guessed, so no compliment.

You're lucky our XP superfan @TrevMUN is busy , and @msfntor is simply very polite and calm.

Edited by D.Draker
Only russians ask such type of questions. KGB needs to update their vocabulary.

7 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I often get confused between the two, I question whether its a good idea to trust a unknown proxy with my information, who knows if its was/is compromised or a honey pot.

Real modern VPN could be hard to configure properly for a beginner, aslo may have a conflict with your LAN or WiFi adapter. In the XP days we had nice and simple standalone programmes, like AntiTracks

which gone off the radar somewhere in 2010 . It was so cool and had a real IP from Texas. Very fast . It was paid, of course. 

18 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I use paid VPN services with no log policy

Are you sure this is on topic, 'cause we aren't aware of any *XP-compatible* paid VPN solutions currently available for purchase.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Are you sure this is on topic, 'cause we aren't aware of any *XP-compatible* paid VPN solutions currently available for purchase.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

What do you mean by "we"? Who are you speaking for? :dubbio: If you wanted to ask that you are not aware of any *XP-compatible* paid VPN solutions currently available for purchase, then here is the answer of a Frisian. You are wrong, unfortunately. My main OS is Windows XP and I use paid VPN services with no log policy via L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN and PPTP protocol for years. Therefore, I am on-topic, which seems to be rather a rarity here in this thread. jexplique.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

1 - What do you mean by "we"? Who are you speaking for? :dubbio: If you wanted to ask that you are not aware of any *XP-compatible* paid VPN solutions currently available for purchase, then here is the answer of a Frisian.

2 - You are wrong, unfortunately. My main OS is Windows XP and I use paid VPN services with no log policy via L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN and PPTP protocol for years.

I am on-topic, which seems to be rather a rarity here in this thread. jexplique.gif

1 - A figure of speech (maybe stolen from Microsoft, the creepy "we are checking your PC")

2 - I have zero problems admitting my mistakes, if there are such. Still no anwser about the ready paid official solutions,

you just named the protocols they use. And some are quite questionable/dubious. 

Like this one:

"... with a major downside, it doesn’t offer any encryption. That’s why it’s implemented..."

www.websiterating.com/vpn/glossary/what-is-l2tp-ipsec/

3 - But I guess the commercial VPN software you use is your secret and I'm absolutely fine with it !

And therefore, named or not - on-topic, which is the most important thing !

And isn't OpenVPN free ?

36 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

And isn't OpenVPN free ?

Of course, OpenVPN is opensource. But it's just a VPN client. You need configuration files *.ovpn which contain necessary data for connecting to a certain VPN server. Most commercial VPN provider offer configuration files to connect to their servers via OpenVPN protocol. And, a more recent, inofficial client compatible with Windows XP is available, too. The old ones don't work anymore in most cases.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

compatible with Windows XP

This one works on XP. At least a bit earlier version I tried. This is a simple and easy to use tool. 

Paid, but has free proxies, also. From what I know, this software was made a Latvian guy.

What struck me as weird, it checks the speed of the servers by connecting to Yadnex,

so I don't know how deep the ties to the KGB/FSB/Russia are. The connection can be blocked.

Also, you can change in the paid version.

"Full support of Socks v5 and Elite servers".

https://www.proxyswitcher.com/

pman_big.gif

Edited by D.Draker
img