VPN for Windows XP

retrotrash69

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...Sorry, but VPNBook is rather a joke!

I didn't know that as I've used their web proxy (and turn off javascript globally in the browser).

https://www.vpnbook.com/webproxy

Is that considered to even be safe anymore? I hardly every use them anyway. but good for others to know, or is is false sense of (so called) privacy

Thank you :)

Edited by XPerceniol

10 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I didn't know that as I've used their web proxy (and turn off javascript globally in the browser).

https://www.vpnbook.com/webproxy

Is that considered to even be safe anymore? I hardly every use them anyway. but good for others to know, or is is false sense of (so called) privacy

Thank you :)

Here is a quotation of the Privacy Policy from their website ("privacy" :buehehe:):

Privacy Policy

Our privacy policy is simple: We respect your privacy. We do not collect any personal information or store any user's internet data. The only thing we log is the IP address and time the connection was made. We log connection information in order to reduce abusive activities and keep this free VPN service online for all legitimate users. Connection logs are automatically deleted every week.

You (the user) are responsible for your actions or damages caused by using our free VPN service. Do NOT use this VPN for doing evil (p2p applications are fine). If you do abuse the system, your IP will be banned. To report abuse, please email abuse@vpnbook.com. This free VPN service is for personal use only. Please contact us for options if you need VPN service for business or commercial use.

Your connection will be logged. Therefore, this service has to be considered unsafe and should actually be avoided. thumbdown.gif As I wrote in my posts above, using free VPN services means very low speed, in many cases no stable connectionsno privacyno security, no anonymity, and definitely a lack of a "no log policy":) So why should a user choose such a service? :dubbio:Just to get a foreign IP? nonono.gif That's simply nonsense and definitely not the idea of VPN. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper bye.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, artenox said:

To access sites blocked by your ISP :) This is rare for the U.S. and Europe, though. But you can hide torrents.

Really? :buehehe: I would not have thought that! lol6.gif Okay, all joking aside! Anyone who uses such a service is no longer anonymous, and in countries with censorship, it is easy to find out who the user is. :whistle: innocent.gif

13 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Here is a quotation of the Privacy Policy from their website ("privacy" :buehehe:):

Your connection will be logged. Therefore, this service has to be considered unsafe and should actually be avoided. thumbdown.gif As I wrote in my posts above, using free VPN services means very low speed, in many cases no stable connectionsno privacyno security, no anonymity, and definitely a lack of a "no log policy":) So why should a user choose such a service? :dubbio:Just to get a foreign IP? nonono.gif That's simply nonsense and definitely not the idea of VPN. :no:

Cheers, AstroSkipper bye.gif

Good to know, I'll avoid that one and write that one off should I need to be secret spy :ph34r:

I was using Psiphon on Windows XP when I need to bypass login page on some WiFi I found. Their website says it's not supported since December 2019, but you can try to use it:

(Warning: DIRECT LINK) https://psiphon.s3.amazonaws.com/legacy/psiphon3-legacy.exe

For Chromium 80>: If you get 360 Extreme Explorer which is available at this forum, you can download VPN extensions. The one that works without an account is called "Just vpn": https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/just-vpn/apmomfapnjopaiiidbockbmbkklcfgni

Another option is to use Tor (Download the latest version available for XP, and you can use its proxy settings on other browsers). 

OT: I can't see AstroSkipper's custom emoticons, because PostImg is blocked here. Doesn't that suck?

FUAKP_OK.jpg.3a27503a6cd93791621cbc0f413a4b8a.jpg

14 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

in countries with censorship, it is easy to find out who the user isinnocent.gif

What's the danger of that? Punishment for using a VPN? There are only in a few countries. For example, in Saudi Arabia.

Or do you mean that, for example, the Iranian police will contact VPNBook to find out what news sites the user visited? And VPNBook will answer THEM? They will not contact. They will just block that VPN (if they haven't already).

Edited by artenox

6 hours ago, artenox said:

What's the danger of that? Punishment for using a VPN? There are only in a few countries. For example, in Saudi Arabia.

Or do you mean that, for example, the Iranian police will contact VPNBook to find out what news sites the user visited? And VPNBook will answer THEM? They will not contact. They will just block that VPN (if they haven't already).

@artenox! There are countries where security, privacy, and anonymity still matter to the users of a VPN service. In some others, unfortunately, all is already lost. :whistle: And, as far as other countries like Saudi Arabia are concerned, you don't have to go that far! idee.gif Anyway, one thing is crystal clear, VPNBook is definitely crap!  thumbdown.gif

@retrotrash69! The choice of a VPN service depends on what is important to its user. Free VPN services means very low speed, in many cases unstable connectionsno privacyno securityno anonymity, and definitely a lack of a "no log policy". BTW, most of these free VPN "services" are limited in their bandwith, data volume, the used protocols, the number of available servers, and so on. If that is not a problem for you, then you can use such "services" like VPNBook. Anyway, each to their own! jexplique.gif

Here is a link for further information of VPN's disadvantages: 
https://www.top10vpn.com/what-is-a-vpn/vpn-disadvantages/  link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper bybye.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

If you want true anonymity and secrecy, you should probably use:
shadowsocks > tor > shadowsocks
or
i2p outproxy with 2-3 nodes

Although shadowsocks is optional, it is necessary so that your ISP doesn't know that you use Tor (you know that the U.S. government keeps records of such users). And you don't get banned from web sites for having a dirty IP. It is recommended to change shadowsocks servers every 30 minutes. You can find them for free in telegram channels even under XP.
Paid servers cannot be completely  anonymous. You will be denominated by payment and even crypto. There may be a better privacy policy than your ISP.

All right, I agree. It's too paranoid. A good paid VPN would be a more acceptable compromise solution. Although, I use free VPNs and they are fast and stable enough. But I have small requirements (ADSL/3G). Such VPNs are quite difficult to find, especially with torrent support. One of them is Cloudflare WARP (Wireguard).
Anonymity, yes... Maybe that's the problem there. But no one cares about me.

Edited by artenox

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 3:04 AM, SC7601 said:

FUAKP_OK.jpg.3a27503a6cd93791621cbc0f413a4b8a.jpg

Information and Communication Technologies Authority (Turkey). If you want no censorship then only protests. Nobody protests in Russia and the World knows result, access to 1 500 000 resources is blocked and Russian's mind is different with the World.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2022 at 7:44 PM, retrotrash69 said:

Hello,

Where I am currently living, there is pretty much no way for me to use a lot of the internet without a VPN, I am wondering if there is any VPN client that still works with XP, that does not require payment. XP 32 bit, browser is Mypal.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:58 AM, retrotrash69 said:

Any other options? At this point, it is less about absolute privacy and more about necessity, as I am connecting to a free wifi which is locked down heavily. To get an idea, most video websites are blocked, as well as most game websites for instance. This is a temporary situation but it will likely be like that for at least another month. VPN is required to bypass that censorship. Therefore ANY free VPN option that will work on XP and can bypass that will be greatly appreciated.

Hello @retrotrash69!

Do you know UltraSurf?

Lok on my posts in the page 29 of Pretty Detox Posts topic here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183266-pretty-detox-posts/page/29/

- Best free solution for your problems. I don't know if it work on Firefox...tell me, please.

If not, use 360Chrome forks, DCBrowser...

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

@msfntor, have you ever tried this one ? Is it safe ? Hope this one is not russian . thanks.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/residential-vpn-tuxler/jpgljfpmoofbmlieejglhonfofmahini

Two first User Reviews from this Chrome extension page:

Artem KaAug 22, 2022

You will need to install the extension and then download an additional unknown file to your PC to continue for free. Well, or buy Premium. Don't download this if you want quick access to a VPN.

Dirk Schwanz Modified Jun 29, 2022

Scam!

- so try UltraSurf, and get YOUR (not biased) impressions, please...