Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel?

Jakob99

Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

But as experience has shown me, installing Server 2008 updates on Vista (seemingly past March 2018), I found the stability of Vista somewhat degraded.  Certain applications would hang, like uTorrent, and become unstable.  Even with the extra year of updates from most 2017 to early to 2018, the fade in and out of the login screen to the desktop lacked smoothness.  As to which update caused it, who knows?

For the Vista Extended Kernel, the actual intended update path is 2017 EOS + SHA-2 update. The 2018 rollup sometimes suggested is to get a base no updates install up and working with the kernel, but the path that it was changed to however long ago is just the 2017 EOS + SHA-2 update.

Also the extended kernel does have some issues with certain applications. I think I prefer the VxKex style of kernel extension where no system files are touched and it redirects functions. Although I think the Vista Extended Kernel type extension would be more compatible with non-native applications.

• Dave-H changed the title to Windows 8.1 Extended Kernel?

11 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I finally quite using the vista extended kernal (it was unstable on my computer) and decided to move to using x86 based vista and it's way more stable

legacyfan was granted a special permission ? I read off-topic posts here were promised to be blocked, no ?

21 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

1 - Extended Kernel! No need for such an Extended Kernel!

2 - I personally would never use any Extended Kernels

1 - Why ? Elaborate please.

2 - Personally you, undertstandable , your choice of course .

Astroskipper, why would you join the anti-kernel crowd all of a sudden ? And exactly now ! Please tell me, if it's no secrtet.

12 hours ago, K4sum1 said:

For the Vista Extended Kernel, the actual intended update path is 2017 EOS + SHA-2 update. The 2018 rollup sometimes suggested is to get a base no updates install up and working with the kernel, but the path that it was changed to however long ago is just the 2017 EOS + SHA-2 update.

Also the extended kernel does have some issues with certain applications. I think I prefer the VxKex style of kernel extension where no system files are touched and it redirects functions. Although I think the Vista Extended Kernel type extension would be more compatible with non-native applications.

Several "Eclipse members" got special permissions to post wherever they want ? And my innocent on-topic post, where I agreed to help a German fella, suggested to write me via PM, and said I love Germany - gets deleted without notice - why ?!!??! @Tommy, care to explain ? Let me remind,  I ignore all attacks the certain pack of members ignite, just like I promised you.

Just now, D.Draker said:

Several "Eclipse members" got special permissions to post wherever they want ? And my innocent on-topic post, where I agreed to help a German fella, suggested to write me via PM, and said I love Germany - gets deleted without notice - why ?!!??! @Tommy, care to explain ? Let me remind,  I ignore all attacks the certain pack of members ignite, just like I promised you.

You replying is going off the topic of extended kernels. I was talking about types of extended kernels.

Nobody gets special permissions. I don't even know who is part of Eclipse as I don't frequent their forums, I just don't have time to. To be honest, I'm ready to lock the entire thread. I will keep it open under one condition, please keep it on topic, keep it clean, and nobody will have to have their posts deleted, moderated, or users having to be warned. It truly is just that simple. I don't understand why there's such a problem here. :no:

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:
23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

1 - Extended Kernel! No need for such an Extended Kernel!

2 - I personally would never use any Extended Kernels

1 - Why ? Elaborate please.

2 - Personally you, undertstandable , your choice of course .

Astroskipper, why would you join the anti-kernel crowd all of a sudden ? And exactly now ! Please tell me, if it's no secrtet.

1 - There is nothing more to elaborate. I have already sufficiently justified my position in this post:

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I personally would never use any Extended Kernels. If an OS does not work anymore due to its age, or the implemented functions are no longer sufficient, the user will have to change the operating system by necessity. Although I am not a fan of Microsoft and what they did in the past, I would only trust such changes to the system to programmers with a great deal of experience and in-depth knowledge of the source code, i.e. programmers as they work for Microsoft, the actual manufacturer of Windows OSs.

And here:

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yep, that's what I meant. Long time ago, when I was on Windows ME, I used in the end the Extended Kernel "KernelEx". Although it worked in a lot of cases, it was always fiddly. And, it never worked out of the box. At a certain point, I gave up. No more Extended Kernels. If an OS can't be used anymore, or additional kernel functions are needed, one has to change to another OS. smilie_denk_24.gif

2 - Of course! Based on my experiences.

Just to clarify, I didn't join whatever crowd you are talking about. I do not have that kind of camp thinking. I am an individual and, for the reasons I have given, I consider these so-called Extended Kernels to be questionable and superfluous. albert.gif Especially in a productive system. As you know, I am a die-hard fan of Windows XP. Even if there was such an Extended Kernel for Windows XP, I wouldn't use it unless it would be official, which will never happen, though. :no: And as long as Windows 8.1 works and can be used, there is actually no need for such an Extended Kernel anyway. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

1 - There is nothing more to elaborate. I have already sufficiently justified my position in this post:

On 3/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, AstroSkipper said:

I personally would never use any Extended Kernels. If an OS does not work anymore due to its age, or the implemented functions are no longer sufficient, the user will have to change the operating system by necessity. Although I am not a fan of Microsoft and what they did in the past, I would only trust such changes to the system to programmers with a great deal of experience and in-depth knowledge of the source code, i.e. programmers as they work for Microsoft, the actual manufacturer of Windows OSs.

And here:

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yep, that's what I meant. Long time ago, when I was on Windows ME, I used in the end the Extended Kernel "KernelEx". Although it worked in a lot of cases, it was always fiddly. And, it never worked out of the box. At a certain point, I gave up. No more Extended Kernels. If an OS can't be used anymore, or additional kernel functions are needed, one has to change to another OSsmilie_denk_24.gif

2 - Of course! Based on my experiences.

3 - Just to clarify, I didn't join whatever crowd you are talking about. I do not have that kind of camp thinking. I am an individual and, for the reasons I have given, I consider these so-called Extended Kernels to be questionable and superfluous. albert.gif Especially in a productive system. As you know, I am a die-hard fan of Windows XP. Even if there was such an Extended Kernel for Windows XP, I wouldn't use it unless it would be official, which will never happen, though. :no: And as long as Windows 8.1 works and can be used, there is actually no need for such an Extended Kernel anyway. smilie_denk_24.gif

1 - You have described your one isolated case without giving out the technical details.

With the the key words being "Long time ago", which means it was made by another programmer.

Was it sufficient ? 

I shan't write my opinion, remarks or evaluate your sentences, I don't want you to consider me impolite. I'll just highlight some of them. 

"..additional kernel functions are needed, one has to change to another OS"

"..functions are no longer sufficient, the user will have to change the operating system by necessity". 

2 - Based on my experiences, I use a fantastic kernel by @win32, and have no troubles with it,

works out of the box. And it's not a "so-called" Extended Kernel, it's a marvellous one ! 

The question is, will there be the same quality kernel for the OS being discussed.

3 - Oh I see, sorry , just a coincidence then, simple coincidence. Happens all the time. 

On 3/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, Dave-H said:

Off-topic posts removed.
This thread will be immediately terminated if it degenerates into an off-topic personal bickering fest again.

@Dave-H And I Have Now Moved My Post To The Proper Forum Section In Accordance With The Forum Rules (It Was Not Related To This Topic)

Edited by legacyfan

On 3/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, D.Draker said:

I use a fantastic kernel by @win32, and have no troubles with it,

Can you please share more info about this? Thanks

Edit: Sorry. I just read the post and realized you're talking about Vista x64,

Edited by sonyu

26 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

He's talking about Vista. He's talking about this project.

At the current rate of progress, his kernel extensions will depricate other NT 6.x class systems older than 10 lol

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a way in how to spoof Windows 10 as the Main OS version on Windows 8.1? I know that newer Office versions, such as 2303 were compatible with 8.1 but Microsoft closed the Beta Program for 8.1. I want to spoof my OS version but it didnt work work with osver.ini hack I saw on Vista. Any ideas?