ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

image.png.fe6fe358c96357499bd6d806be9ec448.png

Ok. Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable was installed in your system. Very good! Without it, you also couldn't have tested my program package, though. :no: And, unfortunately, you are not up to date. As @mina7601 already posted, the latest version is 14.28.29213update.gif Your version is 14.0.24215. Have a look at my screenshot! nonono.gif

Microsoft-Visual-C-Windows-XP.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper fumeur2.gif

Hello, my dear beta testers! :hello:
Yesterday, I went to bed very early due to some hurts. malad.gif In the night at 02:00 am (Germam time), I got up, switched on the thinking area of my brain and started my desktop computer. thinking.gif I tried to solve the minor start problem of ProxHTTPSProxy at Windows startup. I checked the code of my starter program StartProxy.exe and modified it. And, what should I say? After some tests of new code variations, I could indeed solve the problem. From now on, a delayed start of StartProxy.exe at Windows startup is no longer necessary. :cheerleader:
I'll upload an archive containing the new version of StartProxy.exe and the reviewed documentation, credits to @Dave-H mainly, as soon as possible. You'll get the link via PM as usual. link.gif Please, replace the files and try to run the new version of StartProxy.exe automatically at Windows startup! After checking if it works, I need your detailed feedback. Please, provide detailed information about your systray icons in regards to ProxHTTPSProxy and Min2Tray, either via a description in words or a screenshot of your systray! And report what happens at Windows startup! I definitely need confirmations of you all!  :yes: Thanks in advance!

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks @mina7601 for your addition! I just wrote Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable because that was the information I got from @cmalex. In my system, I already installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable, therefore I did not need to install a further version of Microsoft Visual C++. But the more recent the more better, at least for essential system files. :)

You're welcome! And I know, I was actually requesting a change just for accuracy.

Maybe, if the path of your installation contains spaces, the new starter program might not work. Just to be on the safe side, I'll send you a new version which also works with spaces. I didn't see that because in the path of my installation, there are none. :whistle:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Well I substituted StartProxy.exe with the new version, and tried putting ProxHTTPSProxy.exe back in the run key in the registry, and the proxy was still not starting.
Is that right?
I had assumed the problem was with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe, not with StartProxy.exe.

I then put the run key back as it was before, running StartProxy.exe.
I'm now getting 'Windows cannot find Files\Windows'.
Is this the spaces problem back again?

Putting the old file back everything works again.
:dubbio:

1 minute ago, Dave-H said:

Well I substituted StartProxy.exe with the new version, and tried putting ProxHTTPSProxy.exe back in the run key in the registry, and the proxy was still not starting.
Is that right?

Any spaces in your path? I do think so. The program folder "Program Files" in English versions of Windows XP contains a space. A fixed version is on the way! :)

16 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Is that right?

Just to clarify it! The program which has to be started automatically at Windows startup, is my starter program StartProxy.exe, and not ProxHTTPSProxy.exe. There is no problem with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe, but there was one with StartProxy.exe. :yes: The new version 3.2.0.0 of my starter program should run with install paths containing spaces, too. :thumbup

Hello again, my dear beta testers! :hello:
My starter program is now of version 3.2.0.0 and should even run with install paths containing spaces. I am very excited if it now works for you all. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper kaffeepc.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

All working fine with the latest version of StartProxy.exe!
:thumbup
I understand now that the proxy shouldn't be started with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe, as I had been assuming, but as an aside, do you know why ProxHTTPSProxy.exe won't start on boot?

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

All working fine with the latest version of StartProxy.exe!
:thumbup
I understand now that the proxy shouldn't be started with ProxHTTPSProxy.exe, as I had been assuming, but as an aside, do you know why ProxHTTPSProxy.exe won't start on boot?

Of course! It's the same problem as it was with my starter program. It can't find its working directory in the early boot phase of Windows. The code inside the starter program has to point to its working directory. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction